Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Walker

Engines Won't Shut Down

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by Cheers II, Nov 12, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cheers II

Cheers II New Member

I have a 2002 41’ Tiara Open with twin Cummins QSM 11s at 635 HP each. When I go to shut down the engines, I have to turn off both keys. If I turn 1 key to “OFF”, both engines continue to run; however, they will start individually with no problem. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is this a new problem or came with the boat this way?
  3. Cheers II

Cheers II New Member

Stange response but not really sure. I've had the boat for about 1 1/2 years and even during that time I would just turn both keys off, one after the other and I never really noticed. While doing some recent work on the engine displays is when I noticed it.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That almost sounds like some sort of fail-safe mechanism, but one I've never heard of, and a dangerous one. Most diesels either have a seperate shutdown button or you actually have to push the key past the off position. Could it be that you're just not pushing the key far enough? Otherwise I'd have to suspect that you have some crossed wires between the two ingitions that is shorting you out.
  5. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

That's my guess, too.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm not sure it's shorted wires but some goof on who was last under the cover. There is to much at risk under your hood for us to guess at. Unless someone has been exactly here before, I'm not sure we can offer more than guesses. Please protect your equipment & investment and find a qualified tech to ensure that nothing is getting further damaged, operating safely and you (and any operator) are able to shut down your engines.
    You may not think much of it now, but what if a wire does cross or short out in your future?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Another word for guess is idea, and around here most guesses are pretty educated. We've all dealt with ignitions to one degree or another. If it's an idea he hasn't thought of it could save him the price of a mechanic, especially if it's as simple as not turning the key far enough or holding it long enough. I know that I've shut down diesel motors only to have them start back up again because I didn't hold the key or button long enough. If it's a short he now has that idea, has an idea what to look for, and he knows not to run the boat until corrected.
  8. Cheers II

Cheers II New Member

I have checked the wiring at the ignition switches and could not find an issue. I called Tiara and they use a set of Bosch relays in their ignition circuit. They suggested I replace them, I did, but did not help. I believe I'll give them another call.

Thanks for the input.
  9. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Sounds like a wacky electrical issue that has something to do with a crossed wire or bad ground. The closest Ive come to what you describe was on a 2004 Carver 56V. One key (I forget which side) had to be turned on before the other. If you energized the wrong key first, one of the digital tach LED displays would not show proper characters until the engines were running. And, there was an audible, albeit faint, squealing noise. I spoke to Carver (and or Volvo, can't remember now) and they knew about the situation and said there was a diode put in that necessitated the proper sequence. It sounds like something The manufacturer should and would want to get to the bottom of for you, and them.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now were cooking. Any more details?