Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Engineer Training

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Shug, Mar 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Shug

Shug New Member

Hi,

I currently serve in the Royal Navy as a Marine Engineering Artificer on Submarines and leave in October.

I received a Letter of Initial Assessment last week from the MCA stating that if I wish do be a Y4 engineer I need to do my Y4 oral examination or if I wish to do Y3 I need to do the statutory operational requirements and the oral examination.

I was also told that for my E.O.O.W I would just have to sit an Oral (Motor).

I have spoken to various people and a particular engineer strongly recommended working through the commercial licenses as opposed to the yacht licenses as a newcomer.

I am looking to go straight into yachts as they appeal to me a great deal.

The problem is the statutory operational requirements course as they don't appear to be run very often? Can this be done and accredited distance learning in order for me to sit the written examination?

I would rather go for the Y3 as I'm exempt sea time etc in my Letter of Assessment and then have to serve 3 months as Y3 or Y4 to do my Y2 (all the courses and exams).

The same 3 months to go for 2nd Engineer commercial license.

I am just looking for some pointers and advice in general really from people actually in the business.

I look forward to hearing from you!

I'm 24 (25 next month).

Thanks

Shug
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Are they saying that those choices are mutually exclusive? If you take the Y3 or Y4 then you can't get the EOOW?

If you can get your EOOW by just sitting an oral, do it. When you get your 3 months get the 2nds ticket. I would strongly suggest that you look for a second engineer position in any event so you can find out who and what a yacht engineer is and what one does in real life.

A yacht limited license is worthless for anything except yachts. You may or may not get a yacht job or like it when you do. If all you have is a yacht license what do you have then?

I am surprised (sort of) that the MCA will give you a motor license after earning your sea time on steamboats. Did you guys run on emergency power all the time?

The little secret that many yachties don't know is that you don't need a yacht license to work on yachts. Your EOOW will likely be endorsed by most yacht flag states for service as a Y3 or Y4. Relatively few charter yachts are registered under the UK flag and it is the flag state that endorses CoCs and determines what the manning requirements are, not your nationality or that of the captain. A commercial 2nd will most likely get you an endorsement to serve in the same position that calls for a Y2. Each flag state will look at your certificate and determine what level they will endorse it for service on their vessels.

Good luck.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I would suggest that you go ahead and get whatever yacht tickets that you can get by sitting the oral. However, Navy and commercial guys have a hard time breaking into the yacht industry, so you may want to go ahead with your commercial qualifications as well to assure yourself an income. I don't believe there is an exclusivity to the paths, so get what you can as soon as you can so you can begin marketing yourself properly ASAP, then build from there.
  4. Shug

Shug New Member

Thanks for the replies,

Commercial (EOOW, 2nd Engineer etc) can be transferred to yachts but yacht qualifications cannot. I was mainly concerned that it may be more difficult to get into the industry with commercial tickets.

Not sure why you're surprised but I admire the sarcasm haha, obviously not on emergency power all the time, we did an MCA recognised apprenticeship which covers diesels, cpp etc in detail, also served a year onboard surface ships and ultimately, the only main difference being there is a diesel engine instead of a gas turbine, or .. a nuclear reactor to a certain degree! Although, I see your point! I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, I'm just fighting my case! haha

Anyway, Henning, the point about ex-Navy guys breaking into the industry.. How accurate is that? I know of (but don't know them personally) many ex-Royal Navy engineers who have transferred over to yachts and as far as I can gather, in Europe anyway, we're looked upon favourably.

Not disputing your comments though, perhaps I'm being led down the garden path...!!

Looks like the commercial EOOW route is the way to go in any case.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

Shug
  5. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Shug,

I was in exactly your position about a year ago though not a submariner, it sounds as though you got exactly the same exemtions as me.

You cannot do Stat & Ops (or any of the modules) as distance learning. As for courses and Oral prep (you will need it) I strongly recommend John Percival's near Liverpool. The exams are issued by the Scottish Qualifications Agency (SQA) and are formal invigilated 2 hour exams requiring proper writing not multi choice.

I did the Y3/Y4 oral at the same time as I was awaiting the result of the Stat & Ops. They do the 3 stuff first and if you are shaky they move on to 4. You can elect to do the OOW at the same time too.

You will also need Advanced Fire Fighting, Advanced First Aid which you may be able to blag through the Mob and Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue boats which you won't! I did mine at South Shields although Warsash is also good.

As to there being no market for matelots, I know personally 2 others (one a submariner) who broke out at the same time as me; all of us were quickly employed.

Good luck, ask away any other questions.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Is there an echo in here?

Yacht limited certificates are not valid for commercial use. The sea time may be applied to commercial certification if it is really sea time and the maritime authority accepts it but, in most cases very little of it would apply to an unlimited certificate. There is a movement underway to allow service on very large yachts to count but if it comes to pass there will be strict guidelines and this probably won't do anything for the vast majority of yachties.

As one who reviews CVs and acts as a "gatekeeper" I can tell you that the only impediment lies with those captains and crewmembers who have no experience or knowledge other than yachts.

There is a bizarre condition among many yachtie "hawsepipers" which seems to make them fear the presence of those with formal training and higher level certifications. I welcome a CV from someone with a documented history of formal training and standardized operations. The vetting and oversight implicit in military and merchant operations is non-existent in yachting and we see the results far too often when we have to deal with the owner's frustrations.

Because motor is a mode of propulsion and licenses are issued based on experience in that mode. If you spent a few years on nukes as well as motor boats then why did they not offer both motor and steam? If you are going to fight for something, fight for the piece of paper that will ensure your future value in the market. There are lots of steam powered ships running around. Steam powered LNG ships are being built today and steam engineers are a valuable commodity. Don't let them rob you of qualifications you have earned.

Unless they are offering you only one or the other, grab one of each, get every piece of paper you can collect. Right or wrong, the nautical world has gone the way of the regulator and you cannot have too many certificates. That is not just a turn of phrase, it is the reality of an industry in which yachting is just a microscopic drop in a large ocean of opportunity for an engineer.
  7. Shug

Shug New Member

FullaFlava, you're not Frankie are you? Cheers, I'll send you a PM.
    If you can do both the oral boards together then that will be fine in that case.

Marmot, you're right actually about the Steam thing, I looked at it as if you were saying how did I manage to get the motor oral as opposed to pointing out the obvious steam (sorry!), maybe I'll try that later but at the moments yachts are where I want to go and sending off for another Letter of Initial Assessment will just take weeks/months again! Thanks again for pointing it out though, never really thought of it like that.
    Thanks for the good information too, you've provided some good insight.

Conclusion?

I'll do both, booked in a stat ops course now so the ball is rolling and booked all advanced safety at Warsash.

Thanks for your help guys, I was trying to hold back on the cash because the yacht courses for oral prep and stat ops was getting pretty expensive so that's why I wanted to make sure it was worthwhile.. It's an investment I suppose for a job that looks great... and pays well :)

Thanks again!

Shug
  8. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Shug,

A brief word about the expenditure:

I did 6 courses and a week of oral prep costing about £3000 of my own money as well as what I was entitled from the mob for resettlement and accomodation costs. I made back this investment on my first months salary which wasn't a full month and pro-rated.

If you registered for Enhanced learning credit, look at bundling Stat & Ops, Advanced Hotel Services and Applied Engineering together and doing the lot at Warsash who are an accredited ELC centre. I wish I had.
  9. Shug

Shug New Member

FullaFlava,

Hi, yeah I have booked all the safety courses, I'm not going to do the Hotel Services etc for Y2 because I haven't got the time off, I'd rather just (hopefully) take up a position as a Y3 for a year or so until I can afford the time off again to go and do the other courses.

I'm at £2000 so far with the Survival courses and the Stat Ops at John Percival but an oral prep course will make up the extra grand, I think I'll go for the double board.. EOOW and Y3.. Then it can be a victory, 2 bites at the cherry or an epic fail !! haha

I have to do all my Resettlement in May because I'll be in a maintenance period then a six week work up (index with FOST etc..) until I go outside so there's simply no time, although, if I get an extra couple of weeks off before I go outside and there are some courses available I'll go for it.

I'm not registered in ELCAS, apparently never filled in the form, don't remember even getting handed the form!? Anyway, a major pain but I'm trying not to think about it anymore than I already have.

Stat Ops at Warsash only seems to be run twice a year so it's not great.

Any study recommendations for the Y3/EOOW oral boards? Been struggling to find, John Percival will send it all to me?

Thanks again mate,

Shug
  10. Deepsy4

Deepsy4 New Member

Elc

Hi Shug just to let you know there is a window untill Oct this year to register for ELC if you've done 8 years it entitles you to £6000 of training over 3 years... Not to be sniffed at! Speak to your education officer they should still be able to sign you up.