Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

Engineer Progression Advice

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Jw-marine, Jul 3, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

Hello I'm looking for some information on how to progress as an engineer on yachts.

I initially trained as a weapons engineer in the RN submarine service. I left the RN after 4 years, having served on several subs and accumulating sea time.

Since then I've worked in ship yards fitting out yachts, I've done a summer yacht season as an engineer and I'm now on my second big boat which is a brand new 34m sunseeker and I find myself as chief engineer with an AEC ticket.

I have around 8 years experience in total in engineering, I want to progress but I'm insure whether it's worth sending off for an ILA to get a reduction in sea time because I don't find this position currently very challenging and I feel very comfortable at this level. I worry that my Royal Navy experience won't be relevant because it was in weapon engineering, however I have spoken to people who have been given a y4 off the back of an apprenticeship working on aircraft so I feel it's a bit of a grey area when they assess your skills?!

I don't think that waiting two years is worthwhile to do an Meol ticket because I think my skillset is higher than what is required for the Meol. I want to do this properly and I'll have around 7 months down time over winter this year so would like to start preparing for it.

Could any one offer any advice for how they would progress in my situation.

Many thanks.

Jon.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There are so many conflicting stories about what you need for what these days to be found on Facebook and other online forums that the only way to get an answer that will work is to write to the MCA and ask yourself about your own particular situation.

That said I have worked with ex RN Engineers from all Depts who managed to get tickets so it is possible and in some cases I am surprised they managed to find the exam centre let alone know the answers to the questions.