Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Engine shutdown but now fault MTU v10 Serie 2000

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Claus, Jul 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Claus

Claus New Member

Hi
    I have had some problems that the starboard engine shuts down, no alarm occurs. I just turns the key back on off then back at on and I can start the engine again. The last trip I had 4 shutdowns in 30 min. Any good ideas
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My first guess (strictly that) would be a fuel blockage, but it could be so many things.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A fuel issue would also result In other symptoms like low pressure, rough running, power loss. It sounds like an electrical or control problem. Loose wire or cable. If your engines can be started from the ER, try that and see if it shuts down.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Way too many possibilities and way too little info. Yep, could be electrical, brain or..... DK what other symptoms he had (like were his RPMs fluctuating), Given that it could be fuel flow and that's easy to check, but I suspect he has a visit from a mechanic in his near future if it's not fuel flow.
  5. Claus

Claus New Member

The engine is running perfectly but shutting down at once. It is like you just turn the key at of. Rpm indicater is standing on the the rpm that the engine is running. Thereafter I can start it again. I also think it is an electrician problem. But it could have been interesting if someone have had same problems
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, sounds like time to plug in the diagnostics.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If there are no alarms, nothing for the computer to diagnose (no codes). Being so intermittent, it would be impossible for the laptop to catch the shutdown code at the dock or within a reasonable amount of time. Fuel flow would show as an alarm. This is electrical, like the computer is seeing the key switch being turned off.

Try replacing the key switch and checking all harness plugs, then with the motor running start physically moving wires around and jiggling harnesses and see if you can duplicate the problem. Then have a marine electrician check all of the wiring on power supplies on the key switch circuit, harness connections, power supplies to the computers, batteries, battery connections. etc. etc. Sounds to me like a bad wire, bad connection, or key switch.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

And do not overlook any ground wires to the ECUs, displays etc. years ago I had a fairly new car which would suddenly and randomly go into limp mode. Dealer could t figure out because there were no codes until an old fashioned mechanic checked the ground wire to the ECU... sure enough it was loose.

and I said earlier, next time start the engine from
    The ER and see if it still happens.
  9. Claus

Claus New Member

I have got the key switch. I get an electrician tomorrow
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Please return & let us know.
  11. Jonnyhottub

Jonnyhottub New Member

Hi did you ever find a solution. I have the same problem. I think its temperature related in the engine room. Once the temp goes above 42c the gauges reboot and then the engine stops and restarts. Had it happen at 2000rpm and 1000rpm. Check all wiring and cant find anything. No error codes apart from one time which was SE05 nd05 10+A001-sam can bus-1 error/bus defect
  12. Christian13

Christian13 New Member

Hi
    I have the same problem on my MTU engines.
    It's the blue line electronics and also a friend of mine has tge same problem.
    The ignition keys have been bypassed but problem remains.
    Now he cleaned all connectors.
    In my boat it occurred 2 times when I hit a wave so definitely a connection that is bad or a cable that has some corrosion.
    If someone has some advice please let me know
  13. TOM TADSEN

TOM TADSEN New Member

I have the same issue with my Blue line display on my m91 v16 2000 series in my Viking. The port engine just shuts down while running perfectly like the ignition switch was turned off.
    MTU Tech dosen't know what it is. It is getting worse happening more often Last trip it happened at 28k and the boat made an immediate left turn. Any ideas.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bad battery, bad battery connect, bad harness connect, bad harness, bad switch(s), bad breaker,, Yada Yada Yada..
    Something somewhere is making a bad connect. Vibration, heat, moon phase..
    Pull every connect apart and clean with contact cleaner. At idle, shake every connect and harness. Including beating on bulkheads.
    Your probably not getting any codes since the ECM needs power to be running, fault detect and record the event.

One of the sad points of our forum, we hardly hear back from folks that do find the fix.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Before hoping to find a solution to such problem on a forum, after a technician specifically trained to work on your engines proved useless, I would consider changing it, first and foremost... o_O
  16. TOM TADSEN

TOM TADSEN New Member

Capt. Ralph and Mapism,
    Thank you, I will have my captain remove all the connections and check for corrosion, spray with cleaner and apply dielectric
    grease on them. I had had a MTU Tech out 4 times so far with no solutions. I just replaced 4 turbos, charge coolers cleaned,
    and a few other items that required a lot of disassembly. My situation ( engine shutting off) has got much worse happening on every
    outing now. It makes sense with no power, no ECU code recording . I am sure cables were disconnected and reinstalled to complete these repairs.
    I will keep you advised.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

No dielectric grease in the lil signal connects, Vaseline if needed..
    Also look for damaged pins in the connects.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Don’t forget the fire suppressing system too. On ours, the signal is sent from the fire system relay box to the MTU control boxes at the helm. Could be worth disabling it for a test.

Where are you located?
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Great thinking on that fire suppression equipment involvement.

North West of Toledo,
    Sylvania, OH 43560

per his thingie 43560
    <---------

I wonder if Tom could tell us when the Canadians stop sending down cold fronts.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, that's certainly a possibility.
    But upon activation, shouldn't it shut down both sides?
    Tom only mentioned port engine...