Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Cross

Engine room systems design parameters (safety.)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RobVer, May 8, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Rob,

When you enter a quadrant with turrets turning, you best be prepared to take a shot across the bow. While we can see you're serious about the subject of safety, I'm afraid YF isn't equipped to extinguish the flames of nitro-methane. You have to see the fire, to put it out.
  2. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Now I'm completely lost! LOL. Turrets turning? Maybe my composition is too old fashioned. What presumption! But I think I get it. Point taken. Waste of time.

To clarify; numerous yachts are being built while ignoring completely the practice of following the fundamental and well tried systems installation parameters as regards fuel, air, bilges, sealings, etc.
    I stated, from knowledge, that these parameters are, nearly always, an insurance society, as well as a class certification, requirement. I thought that an interesting state of affairs and wondered why it was not being discussed.

(The entire drift of the stronger retorts from that point on from evidently non-engineers was to dismiss my comment as 'unproven' rather than to discuss the actual safety issue or, more usefully, some possible ways to expose the situation or improve the installations. I was asked to 'quote' the regulations and it was even suggested that I was simply wrong.)

My original comment was to 'ginger up' a response from other, possibly grumpy, but professional marine engineers rather than anyone else. ( ie. those who are, presumably, well aware of the situation, as well as the long standing industry regs., and may be irritated with having to ignore it.)

(But all one gets is smart-alec repetitive contradiction rather than actually positive discussion.)

But if any actual marine engineers (grumpy or otherwise) would like to comment, I would love to discuss, possibly, their thoughts or findings, or some method of revelation of the problem such that it may even start to be addressed.
  3. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

What a scam!

Rob,

So based on your many comments, you seem to allege that yachts are not being built to the same standards as tugs or freighters. Now, from my limited experience, I know that ABS has different rules and guides for the construction of pleasure boats versus tugs, freighters, offshore drilling rigs, etc. Not being an engineer I cannot determine how different the standards are, but different guides do exist so there must be some difference otherwise every vessel would just be built to the same single standard.

My questions are…

First, are you alleging with proof that the class societies are certifying vessels that don’t meet their own set standards? Perhaps get some photo and analytical documentation and a television crew to film these gross injustices and blow the lid off this scam perpetrated by the societies. Especially since they charge so much to get a vessel certified.

Second, and more importantly, why are you bringing this up here (Yacht Forums)? Why not complain to the class societies (ABS, Lloyds, BV, DNV, etc.?) or their respective governments? Or take it to the international press. Are you expecting us to right this supposed wrong?

Just curious.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, a day tank above the level of the fuel injection system can lead to leaks into the engine and is guaranteed to feed a nice fire in the event of a fractured line before the lift pump. Some larger generators use a small "header tank" to provide a slight positive suction head on the fuel boost pump but that is a builder's spec, not a class rule.

The engine manufacturer specifies what head is required for the engine fuel system. Caterpillar for instance states that the suction head for their marine diesels shall not exceed about 12 feet - that means they do not expect or require a day tank above the engine level.

Please tell us where you found a rule that says a "day tank" must be provided much less must gravity feed the engine(s) it serves. It seems like this has you so upset you must have something to base your rage on other than just being pissed off because nobody builds boats the way you like or think they should be.

And while you are providing the rules that you claim are being ignored, tell us about the ventilation rules. I would love to read one of your survey reports.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Class rules are generally the minimum standard one can use, it is easy to improve on this standard in many cases.

Some yards do seem to be able to get an interpretation of these rules that seems to elude everyone else.

This is the result of letting the same Class Surveyors attend the yard time after time, they all become too comfortable with each other.

RobVer- If you care to emerge from the Pastis induced fog and calmly type out your concerns where you feel the rules are too slack or not applied I am sure you will get opinion from others here.

There are a large number of members here who are not familiar with the Rules and Regs for Vessels over 25m ( didn't know that was a change over point myself) so large scale ranting generalisations are not going to generate useful answers any better than an accurate detailed description of your quest for opinion.
  6. RobVer

RobVer New Member

'Roundthehorn'... you got it ..... exactly. Thank you.
    (love the name by the way ... brilliant ....... shades of Spike Milligan and Peter Sellars all at sea and still 'in charge'. Highly appropriate to the daft necessity for such revelation. )

1) The 'proof' you ask ( and I'd LOVE to be able just to print off) is now so deeply buried in layer upon layer of (now often contradictory) MCA, Lloyds syndicate, veritas society and manufacturers regulation as to be quite impossible for a wee fella like me just to 'dig it out' in months or to present it comprehensibly. Hence my suggestion simply to ask a truly professional 'marine lawyer' such as from Ince and Co.
    (The initial answer, as it was to me, will most probably be a shrug of the shoulders, a nod and a grin.) I'm not a lawyer. I'm an engineer.
    2) The daytank requirements (why fixate on that one alone I wonder) are, as any older engineer will know from his 'booklearnin', written in stone, as well as every respected society advice and insurers requirement for God's sake! But I shall spend this day to dig out a couple from the net if I can.
    3) I'm bringing it up in yacht forums to see if there are other supers or chiefs who would like to do something about it. ( I realise, particularly in the yachting industry, any negative comment is seen as blasphemy....but we Paddies don't yet suffer from too much political correctness. )
    Anyhow....good positive point and suggestions. Thank you.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

RobVer, funny you should mention it, but when I was living in MC I always took the seat belt on and off when passing the borders without even thinking about it! I was feeling very uncomfortable having the seat belt on just after entering the Principality, strange...:confused:
  8. RobVer

RobVer New Member

KIWI.
    You are absolutely right of course. Fatigue and a few pastis apart, my comment finally broke surface last night from yesterday first being asked to advise/design a generator shift and re-installation in 24 hrs, and then, after most of the work was done, being 'second guessed' by a 'suited adolescent management company busybody who'd never crossed a bathtub in his spotty life' to, in effect, triple the cost and time of the job while at the same time eliminate two actually important safety aspects. (ie. do it wrongly.) Reason...so that, in his opinion, it 'looked' better. It does not.
    I HATE this situation where one has to be a prostitute to halfwit political charlatans to do one's job.
    So, yes, one or two pastis were applied and I took up smoking again.
    I admit it.

Your comment about class rules being the minimum is such a welcome breath of fresh air. If someone asks about 'building to class rules', I usually grumble something rudely to the effect of 'why can't we do a quality job instead'.

'Accurate detailed' description......I COMPLETELY understand that suggestion but, as a practical day to day engineer, you will maybe see that the problem of which I am speaking is, in much part, as a direct result of the insurance companies, regulation societies, yacht builders and machinery manufacturers now ALL putting profit before professionalism and, as a result, burying the less attractive regs.in impossibly deep piles of impossible to find (even on the net) small print. This is now in ALL their interests and, increasingly evidently, politically incorrect to discuss in public.
    This cynical situation even seems to be reinforced by 'pretendy engineers' who never knew the rules in the first place. Comments against correct (gravity) day-tank feed even on this forum are a case in point and not worth dignifying with an answer! I'd like to guess for which builder he works...but won't.
    Anyway, thanks for the typically civilized advice. You are quite right and upon recovery I shall try to dig out something regulatory to quote to the time-served aetheists.
    rgds
  9. RobVer

RobVer New Member

I shall not dignify this (frighteningly revealing) comment with an answer. As I said before, I created this forum for marine engineers alone. Suffice to say, if the gentleman is correct, the poor Dutch and the Germans must be doing it all wrong then. :eek:
  10. RobVer

RobVer New Member

I do the same! Doesn't it feel so relaxing! Just love the place.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to the world of yachting. I might know some of these people you are describing:)

The quality of the majority of yacht management staff or more like the lack of it never ceases to amaze me. It seems that in many cases the quality of the job is measured by the volume of paperwork generated and the costs run up against it more than the actual nuts and bolts of the job itself.
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

One more try Mr. Surveyor, show us the "absolute requirement" by Lloyds and most other "certification societies." If you really are a surveyor how do you reference your findings if you can't even back up one as clear cut as an absolute requirement for a gravity feed fuel system?

That quote above is yours, the words are yours, maybe you were drunk or just too pissed off at getting over-ruled by some young wizard who put you in your place but you wrote the stuff, you started the thread, so show us what has your knickers in such a twist. Maybe the young suit couldn't understand the over 25 meter thing either ...

Show us examples of all the things that are wrong and that only you manage to see and can understand the dangers you feel they pose. This really is a challenge to "put up or shut up" since so far all you have done is whine and complain about very unspecific issues and attempt to belittle those of us who think your claims are, what's a nice way to put it ... dubious, specious, demented, delerious, besotted?
  13. RobVer

RobVer New Member

I'm not a surveyor per Se.
    I'm just an old ex. engineer (an ex. super' for over ten years.) I do surveys, usually for insurance or warranty claims, for someone who must be one of the most prolific surveyors in the Mediterranean, if not in Europe. He's 65, a busy chap, and doesn't like to get his cravat dirty. Some will know who I'm talking about.
    (The 'surveyor' comment was to illustrate that I've seen a few engine rooms in the last couple of years.)

You show yourself as a 'Marine Engineer'. So I tried to send you a private message to save you the embarrassment of digging yourself a deeper hole, but I was rejected.

Now you have insulted me directly. You suggest in rather a cowardly fashion that I'm being dishonest or self aggrandising, or both.

So I will reciprocate simply by pointing out that your comment on gravity feed alone is positive proof to ANY actual marine engineer, experienced and rated, that 'you don't even know what you don't know'. While that is not, in itself a fault, it does make your insulting comments a bit embarrassing and pointless.

I am not here to teach you how to be an engineer. Nor to tear into the new breed of 'yacht builders' ..... or even the cynical nature of the industry.

I am simply shaking the tree to try to ginger up comment from other marine engineers or masters, similarly disenchanted with the way the market has driven rough shod over years of best practice and is now producing such shiny yet low quality and dangerous installations at such high prices for the naive. That's my 'rant' and, sitting here in my threadbare dressing gown, I'm not particularly ashamed of it.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, I am willing to learn, so tell me about those absolute requirements and where they are codified. That's all I have asked you to do from the beginning, simply provide references to support your accustations and statements.
  15. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Missed my intent

Rob, I don't think my feelings came out clearly. I was actually going for sarcasm, so you may not want to thank me. Sorry to mislead you into thinking someone was supporting you.
  16. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit so I'll assume it suits you.
  17. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

As Carl has so eloquently put it:

"Under the Redenbacher Rule of 2004, you are hereby prohibited from further posting until such time as all parties participating have made some popcorn."

I must admit it is a little bit entertaining :rolleyes:
  18. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Good. It's meant to be.
    And 'F***kthebegrudgers' .. as we say in Dublin.
  19. RobVer

RobVer New Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Rob, I don't think my feelings came out clearly. I was actually going for sarcasm, so you may not want to thank me. Sorry to mislead you into thinking someone was supporting you.[/QUOTE]

Now being semi-retired, I truly don't give a tinker's curse for 'support', particularly from non engineers or owners and their silly plastic 'jet-ski's-with-jakuzzis'. And sarcasm is still the lowest form of wit, but maybe it was unintended.

To be honest, I'm hugely enjoying using YF to get this crud off my chest.
    I see you're a yacht owner, or you want to be.
    Good for you. No doubt you are surrounded by honest God fearing old fashioned professionals who would never shirk from telling you the entire truth to your face. Yeah...right.

Having worked aft from the chain locker as a very young kid and apprenticed with some of the most professional and honest engineers in the business and on some of the best constructed vessels ever launched, I don't give much credence to the opinions of modern industry pundits or it's market driven attitudes. One is well aware of the extraordinary alignment in interests of yacht designers, the (profit based) MCA, builders, consultants, management companies, brokers, insurers, etc. to suck at the teat of naive 'owners'.

If some don't like what I have to say then, no doubt, they have that right.

But I'll wager a tick to a ton of coal that the ones that complain, or are too stupid to see the obvious when it's put in front of them, are the same one's that promote themselves as experienced to naive owners, but who wouldn't know an engine room from a donkey cart.
  20. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Tempted just to answer with something describing a donkey cart. But I won't. I'll give it one more go as I'm having so much fun.

OK...... 'Seaworthiness' of all systems in an E.R. is a fundamental contractual requirement of insurers ..... all insurers ..... as well as of common sense. (Bit like like having two wheel is pretty fundamental to being a bicycle.)

When you insure your bicycle, there's probably no mention on the available forms, of there 'having to be' two wheels on the thing. (The 'available forms' thing with MCA, Lloyds, Veritas, ABS, etc. is a more widely cynical element in this situation, but that would take too long here.)

Anyway, in the same way as the wheels for the bicycle, and for as long back as anyone can remember, (and if you don't know this you better just accept it for the moment ... or go ask some old Dutchman. ) it is a fundamental element of 'seaworthiness', just for one thing, that any compression ignition main engine injection pump system is pressurised by gravity when not running...ie. in practice, it must not lift it's own fuel along lines from tankage lower than the injection pump. The basic installation rule applies to any other supportive, non-redundant or safety related engine such as generators etc.

( The practical reasons become obvious if you just think about it. Clue: a) When a diesel truck stops, the engine remains stationary. When a ship's engine stops, it does NOT remain stationary. b) Fuel is affected by dynamic properties. c) Marine diesels, otherwise extremely reliable, don't like air in their injection systems....at all. )

This has been a fundamental requirement of installations for eons. One will NEVER find a quality vessel without a header tanks. (Day tanks or daily tanks.) They are even usually noted in any professional construction drawing.
    And as there are also dozens of other practical advantages (or lack of the disadvantages of a 'sucker' system) it makes no sense to do anything else.

Reversed or asynchronous ventilation systems, wrongly-placed pumps and high direct air-ingress trunking are also just a few of numerous other things contrary to the fundamentals of seaworthiness (each an insurance claim killers.) but rarely mentioned or noticed by smart young MCA inspectors any more.

A fundamental contractual requirement does NOT mean it's easy to be seen in the rules, made obvious or even easy to find. Why would they?

But it's still a fundamental contractual requirement when a claim arises.

In the old days this stuff was published and updated progressively. Even then, one had to read between the lines.
    Now it's been lost in the re-writing of the entire regulatory library of the MCA and Veritas etc. And Lloyds themselves make no real effort to publish their increasingly small print.
    Management companies haven't a clue and, as a result, we have a generation that thinks it doesn't need these things any more...or even about what they do.

So we spend more money for more complex, less reliable, harder to maintain and more dangerous systems.

Happy story: I did on one occasion find a happy chap who was enthusiastically removing the header tank from a jewel-like Van Lent to provide space for an Italian built A.C.unit. (sic.)
    If memory serves, I think I used a light 36mm wrench and was wearing my new Redwings at the time, but he still managed to escape almost uninjured. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.