Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

ENG1 USCG Question

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by ccbeachlife, Oct 19, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ccbeachlife

ccbeachlife New Member

Hello,

I am new to the yachting industry and have a question regarding the MCA requirement to have an ENG 1 medical to work on MCA flagged yachts. I hold a non-licensed USCG MMD. I received my MMD last November and had to go through a thorough physical. I am trying to figure out whether the physical I had for my USCG MMD is equivalent to the MCA ENG1, but from what I gather, its not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The MCA is not a Flag State, you do not get boats flying the MCA Flag at their sterns and showing a port of registry that is within the MCA.

Here is a link that shows what the MCA Does.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/workingatsea/mcga-trainingandcert.htm

The ENG 1 is a basic STCW Requirement.

If the document you have refers to complying to STCW you will be ok. There is a USCG Equivalent to STCW in way of a CFR and if your Cert complies with this you will also be ok.

There will be other readers here who are familiar with the US Rules and Regs who might be able to post the relevant Number.

There are also a few other courses you need to do to work aboard a Commercial Operated Yacht that fall under the STCW Umbrella.

Here is a number etc for any MCA Cert questions: Tel. 0114423 80 329 249 / Fax. 0114423 80 329 251 / Email: seafarer.h&s at mcga.gov.uk

Just remove the at from the e-mail addy and replace it with @ removing the spaces
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"If the document you have refers to complying to STCW you will be ok. There is a USCG Equivalent to STCW in way of a CFR and if your Cert complies with this you will also be ok."

The MCA has not seen fit to accept the USCG medical standards. Refer to MCA MSN 1815 for a list of approved countries.

The physical required to obtain a MMD is not a "full physical" as required for ratings or watchstanders under STCW. An MMD is just an ID card for entry level personnel and by itself is only good for unrated positions in domestic waters. If you want to work international, you need to get an STCW certificate to go along with your card.