Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker

Emma Maersk---Worlds Largest Containership

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by Yacht News, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I know this is not anything about a yacht but i think we still need to know general news about another main events...after it is a ship. The Emma Maersk reached the Felixstowe Internation Container Terminal yesterday evening. Boasting an incredible length of 1303 feet-nearly a 1/4 of a mile and an astounding 185 foot beam she is practically the largest ship in the world. Carrying a solid 11,000 TEU's about 3000 would be offloaded in Felixstowe. Emma, posesses the largest Diesel Marine engine in the world for now. Any person who likes Bridges, have a look at the beam on her's ....They probably took the beam measurments from there.
    Check here for pic's and more general information...http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/news.php?extend.122
    Anyone interested in piggybacking should check out Emma Maersk...she is certainly big enough to carry a few yachts;)
  2. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

That is a big ship, just checked her registration, a Gross Tonnage of 170,794. Very impressive, now if someone could post some interior shots of the bridge, which is big enought to fit the Lady J.
  3. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

WOW! This container ship is HUGE.
    Simply amazing ... the Gross Tonnage of 170,794 is approximately 3 times that of the average Panamax-Class container ship (65,000 tons).

Thanks for posting this info on Emma Maersk, yachtluver!

:)
  4. Yacht News

No problem Arnie......but seriously though, do you all think that with the rapid increase in size of these container vessels that we will see a chance of yachts being able to piggy back on something lke Emma Maersk....

but i'm sure the question of security and stablity would come into being...container ships are not specially built to carry yachts.
  5. SoCalRP

SoCalRP New Member

:eek:

I have been reading (and REALLY enjoying) this forum for a couple of years. This post has complelled a "non-joiner" to go ahead and jump on board.

What really astonishes me about the photos in the link is that the ship appears to be pretty close to capacity, yet the stern is out of the water and you can actually see the bulbous bow.

She's so big it's almost compelling to regenderize her. Not to say that the ship should be referred to as a "he", but maybe an "it"-- just a gigantic beast. What a wonder of engineering and design!:cool:
  6. Yacht News

Yep, what has me so astonished is her size! it is marvelous to see what humans can achieve while we are living on this planet. I'm supprised to see her with davit launch lifeboas rather than one huge free fall boat at the stern.
    BTW, Welcome to Yacht Fourms,'SoCalRP' Glad you finally decided to join. Your stay here will be on of fun, learning and sharing.
  7. Yacht News

I wonder, Who will take back the title to World's Largest Container Ship.
    I remember a few years ago Nedlloyd had it with the P&O Nedlloyd Kobe, then Maersk came with the Regina Maersk and the other ships of that class. Now they still have it with Emma Maersk.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I have to wonder: Why didn't they just make her 17' longer so they could say "our ship is a quarter of a mile long"? Instead, she'll simply be known as "the ship that was almost a 1/4 mile long". :rolleyes:
  9. Yacht News

17 feet is alot of ship though Kevin, remember, the vessel is 185 feet wide. That is almost like a yacht. 185 feet long and 17ft wide. Would sure make her alot slower too. She is good doing 27 knots which i think is quite astounding for her size! Plus 17 feet cost BIG BUCKS.
  10. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Ya 17 feet longer X her Beam X height probably has more square footage than my home. They could have let me move in,I don't need granite & mahogany to travel. :D
  11. Yacht News

LOL, i see but i do not think that you would want to travel in a steel shell either:)
  12. arion

arion New Member

The construction of the ship wasnt without problems though..

Take a look at this - Fire on Board
  13. odyssey

odyssey New Member

Emma Maersk---Worlds Largest Containership.

Mateys,
    There are some teriffic pics of her interiors, including shaft tunnels, engine room and that astonishing Bridge!!, on www.shipsnostalgia.com
    It is like this forum, and easy to navigate.
    Membership is FOC.
    Odyssey.:)
  14. Yacht News

Arion, that is terrible, i didn't know of the fire...that must have put her back a good while because the entire bridge looked gutted...I wonder how much extra that costed Maersk. Thanks for the Link Arion.
  15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

odense yard

this was a unlucky event, but the yard responded by replacing the whole structure with the one built for the next ship from the same series.
  16. Yacht News

Ok yes Nilo, that answers my inmind question...because i was wondering how they replaced it and still managed to be on time. The accomation block was swaped. Do you think this is why some lines build two of the same vessels at the same time if possible?...I remember this happned with Princess Cruises...where the Diamond princess caught fire in Nagasaki and they switched ships and used the sapphire princess...just changed the sapphire to 'diamond' in order to stay on schedule.
  17. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Which Thread

I was looking for the pics, but there are so many threads on this ship. Can you give us the name of the thread?

Thanks
  18. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Just a note on Odyssey's post...

We appreciate relevant links, but we don't allow links to sites that force mandatory memberships to view content.

Just so everyone understands WHY we do this... forced registration is an under-handed way of driving membership that results in poor quality subscribers. ShipHistory.com (and others like it) will ultimately use their membership base to drive advertising revenues. The quality of return will be very low because their subscribers are not sincere. In the end, it dilutes the value of ALL interent sites.

Carl
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Membership isn't mandatory to the shipnostalgia.com site... at least not just to view the Gallery. Pics of the Emma can be seen at this link without joining.
  20. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Thanks Kevin, that's much better!