Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

El Faro Update

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Wonder if we will ever know what that "navigational incident" was. Could it refer to hatch covers blowing off? Poor souls
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe so, you need to hear the last link between Tote and USCG. They mentioned Scuttle blowing off, 3 water tight chambers flooded, then mentioned that they were able to dewater the boat.

Then the USCG guy says, they're not in any grave danger and to call a tow boat. Why don't they just anchor the boat as it's not that deep where they are and a bunch of other stuff. I don't believe any help was even sent right away. It's UNBELIEVABLE. They knew they had lost propulsion, etc. etc.

http://wokv.media.streamtheworld.com/audio/audio_phone_call_102817371.mp3
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There not that deep?And what was your last name?
    Do you have vessel assist?
    Nearest safe haven is Turks?

Not sure USCG had a handle.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It was pretty unbelievable but put it in perspective that the CG hadn't heard from the Captain and was simply talking to TOTE who was telling them that everything was under control and there was no danger at that point. The location thing really was strange.

There was in general way too much "we have things under control type attitude and talk". The second call is the only example we have that actually shows some degree of urgency, when he's dealing with a lady more concerned about spelling the names right than getting him to help.

You see examples of TOTE not following the weather or the boat and their organization not alerted throughout that there was a serious issue.

Now, what we haven't heard yet is what happened when the CG tried to call and couldn't reach the boat or any subsequent actions.

No mention of the hurricane in any of this communication.
  5. olderboater

I don't think they had a handle at all. Doesn't seem TOTE did and they weren't giving the CG more information. You're CG in Miami and you get a report of a ship that has lost propulsion, had leaks but has dewatered, not reporting any urgent or emergency situation, in a foreign country, I can see why you'd be slow to grasp the situation.
  6. olderboater

Note that TOTE said they were not following the ship or the weather. They have since then purchased a weather tracking system.

The investigators have found previous instances of TOTE having a ship headed into a hurricane area and there was extensive email communication back and forth. TOTE provided them with very little in this situation.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I don't want to speak ill of the dead but in hindsight which is always 20/20 think the Master erred in not calling Mayday when he could.

The ship was disabled in hurricane force conditions, the hull had suffered a breach I would say that there was more than a passing chance that things were going to get worse before they got better.

Hopefully the VDR will be found one day and many questions will be answered.

In the meantime I don't think the USCG Officer on the phone should be getting any gold stars for that performance.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I feel differently. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, 30 miles from Miami. I had known about and had been tracking this Hurricane for 5 days prior to it getting up here. If you're in Miami and in the USCG, I'm pretty darn sure you're aware of this TS now turned Hurricane. Seems like nobody even mentioned it. They knew the location of the vessel and told them to anchor and there are a few islands to hide behind? Sounds like they knew of the weather. How do you get there if you have no propulsion???

I believe the Captain had already spoken to the USCG as the info that the USCG spoke about on the recorded phone call. I do think the Captain should've called for MAYDAY. They lost propulsion and engineers couldn't get it going again. Hurricane force winds. Sounds like a dire situation to me. I also think there are phone calls and emails that are missing.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am confused. They de-watered (not flooded) or were flooded?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

According to the third recorded phone call with Tote guy and USCG, the USCG guy mentioned that the boat has been dewatered. Who knows if he even knew what that means, he did recommend they anchor since "it's not real deep where they are".
  11. olderboater

I think as the others have said, Mayday definitely should have been called. Far better to call it prematurely than to wait too long and that's a lesson for all of us. Swallow your pride and yell as loud as you can our strongest form of HELP. We, like the investigators, learn a little more each day and to this point none of what we've learned has reflected positively on anyone involved.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but I think that stems from the Captain. He should have called a Mayday and told them the gravity of the situation. I don't think a RORO such as El Faro would've made it through that hurricane without propulsion, no matter if nothing else went wrong. I feel that once it was beam to the waves and drifting, it was only a matter of time until it was game over.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

RoRos are terribly susceptible to free surface effect. It does not take much water on a deck where it can move from side to side easily to cause real problems.

Herlad of Free Enterprise is the name of a ship that sank in calm seas when the lower vehicle deck took on water as they left port with the bow door open. Estonia is another one but the conditions were a bit more extreme and the bow door came off in the seas.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly, WHAT could anybody do in the middle of the storm. There is no rescue available, No close by assistance, Would have been the same result.
    Maybe, MAYBE, a search would have been started a lil quicker with the same results.

The problem IMO, is why that ship was in the middle of the storm.
  15. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Rcrapps, I agree with you about a Mayday call not changing anything. As I recall, the coasties waited until the heavy part of the storm had passed before starting the search.

Does anybody know where El Faro was getting its weather info?
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"navigational incident"

"The biggest risk that a shipowner faces is a major navigational
    incident: not only can it result in fatalities and pollution but can have a
    substantial impact on the reputations of those concerned."

http://www.nautinst.org/filemanager...s/guidance_notices/navigation_-_june_2012.pdf
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It doesn't even matter, even the local TV stations were broadcasting it's projected path and wind speed and present location and all of it was accurate to a T.
  18. olderboater

Except TOTE was not following it or the path of the ship.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So they say, but the Captain was pulling weather. The girl onboard the ship called her family less than 24 hours before and told her family member they were going to be sailing right through a hurricane. I find it hard to believe that nobody at TOTE was following the storm.
  20. olderboater

I find most anything coming out of TOTE hard to believe.