Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger

El Faro: NTSB findings so far, EL Faro's boilers needed servicing

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Capt J, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, and the crew had no chance of launching a side to life boat in hurricane force winds or surviving a hurricane floating in the water in survival suits or lifejackets after the ship went down. It's a very sad event for everyone involved.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Unfortunately the results speak for themselves.
    That being said, the Captain probably consulted with his senior officers and with the shipping company as for the best route or the best plan.
    I bet the radio was busy for a few days before the sh!t hit the fan.
    200 years ago the Captain was God and the only one in charge with no help except his barometer, but these days he has far more resources and I am sure he used them all.
    Despite that it went haywire.
    Not sure I would keel haul the Captain yet, let's wait and see what the official
    report says. There could be factors we don't know about.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well stated. Thank you.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They believe they have. I, therefore, believe they have. Guess CURV 21 will go to work to confirm.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the government wasn't trying to get rid of everything, we could have had the
    DSV4 Seacliff which was 20k manned certified to go down and get all the info they needed.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

This morning's news said the ship is sitting on her keel. Maybe helpful with the black box search ?
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If she is upright and fairly complete that might make a world of difference to finding the VDR.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, typically the black boxes are mounted on the top of the pilothouse from what I've read. Hopefully the black box is not compromised due to the depth and time down there.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Perhaps no black box is needed if an ROV records the forward deck area with missing containers and hatches, as well as a banged in superstructure with missing windows, stuck lifeboats and other hurricane damage.

Reports mentioned the boilers shut down due to an over pressure problem as reported from ship to shore just before facing the hurricane:((
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Which "reports" from what source? Unless you can quote sources who have access to recordings or official transcripts that post is just a huge step back into the quagmire.

"... let's wait and see what the official
    report says."
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Jackonville newspaper on-line, just after the accident.
    I did not save the link, it was not a secret, although it appeared to come from the Shipping Company's offices and nothing further has been reported.
    Pretty obvious the Captain or his Radio Officer would let the owners know why they lost power.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

After a rather exhaustive search of articles, I found that the radio call was recorded and has since been released by the NTSB, but could find no link to the actual transcript. Through my search I was not able to find any such statement as "the boilers shut down due to an over pressure problem as reported from ship to shore". Just that they had lost main propulsion, had a hull breach, a scupper was off, the ship was listing 15* and they were in 10'-12' seas. That theory about boiler pressure was speculated about, and a lot was made about the boiler mechanics being on board and repairs being scheduled, during the early days in the YF thread here "Hurricane Ship Sinking". I fear that speculation may now be remembered as fact. I also don't think anything is "pretty obvious" about the details the captain would have given the owners during his distress call. The captain and radio operator aren't boiler mechanics. I could see that detail being discussed if the captain had brought the boiler mechanics to the radio to confer with an on-shore mechanic, but I'm not aware of that happening.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye NY Capt.
    No speculation on my part, just a good memory as afar as reading about the
    Over pressure problem shutting down a boiler.
    I have only worked aboard 1 turbine ship and we had 2 boilers.
    1 single boiler should give propulsion, although not my expertise.
    (I am a different kind of licensed turbine engineer)
    The Captain did not initaly transmit a distress call, (it came later)
    From my experience on big ships, the owners wants reports on any serious issues onboard and I have no reason to doubt that this was also the case in the El Faro incident.
    As far as the Captain bringing the boiler engineer to the radio: The Chief Engineer would be in constant communication with the Captain about loss of power, whether approaching a hurricane or not.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Not quite so obvious ... no one with direct knowledge or connection to the event has claimed to know why propulsion was lost and no recordings or transcripts of the comms between ship and office have been made available to the public.

The source of all such "information" to date is pure speculation by people who appear to have some reason to see their opinions in print, no matter how far fetched or imaginative.

And to show how uninformed speculation can run amuck, there was no "radio officer" onboard El Faro. GMDSS put virtually all radio officers on the beach about 20 years ago.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly, the local media up here is worse than the Nat Inquirer, I have warned some before, that the media gets carried away, expand and make things up as they go along.
    Since the ship deployed from here, they (news media) give it special attention to spreading the stuff.

It's even worse when a SUV dose something bad. The driver is not a part of the story.
    It's a story, not a news report.
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, Radio Officers are a thing of the past, we had them on ships when I was sailing, I know most are gone by now.
    Not sure what the staffing on El Faro was so I mentioned Captain OR Radio Officer.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Either way, I quoted what I read and mentioned the source as fas as loss of propulsion as per the news report.

Gentlemen, this is a bulletin board discussing an accident, not an official inquiry and as stated before, the full report will probably come out in a year or so.
    Drama Queens trying to pick each post apart are obviously aboard to demonstrate their superiority, not to add anything useful.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree 100%.

I would think the engineer(s) would be in the engine room or the observation room attached to the engine room and would phone the Captain via the ships intercom/phone if there's an issue and would be busy trying to get the boilers going again, not come to the bridge to speak to the owner on the Sat. Phone, nor ever speak to anyone about issues besides either the first officer or Captain.
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What purpose is served by repeating rumors and unfounded gossip, and to whom is such rumor and gossip useful?

What connection is there between the recent locating of the wreck and an obviously erroneous and a sensationalized press report that may or may not have been published "just after the accident" a month ago?

Did that add anything to the few facts which are known and are fair game for discussion?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.