Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

education & career advice needed

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by whybotherlol, Sep 22, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. whybotherlol

whybotherlol New Member

ok so recent events in my life have forced me to look in the mirror and question: is this really what i want to be doing / is it too late to change things.

im male 31 and for the last decade been in the building service industry
    i have city & guild qualifications in mechanical & electrical engineering
    i have hvac / generation & distribution with over 10'000 hours on engines upto 3.5 MW power distribution 400v plus / controls experience with bms ( building managment systems ) boiler systems / water treatment etc etc

i have thought about the yachting industry for many years but due to job security etc never taken the plunge

i own my own home am not married have no children ( very little to keep me where i am )

i have been looking around and see that i am too long in the tooth to just quit work go back to uni and am too old to be considered for a yachting degree
    i have seen many posts for RYA/MCA courses but am not sure if it is worth spending money now if i cant get to where i want to be in 3 -4 years time
    i have seen a course on uksa.org its the ocean graduate course
    it seems to give you the right qualifications to get a respected job within the yachting world
    now im not expecting to do a course along these lines and get a job commanding the uss.enterprise as some do lol
    i would like to start out at the bottom for a few years working my way through deck hand engine room upto the likes of first mate and in 3 or 4 years work my way up to a skipper
    could someone take a look at the uksa ocean graduate course content
    / structure and let me know if this would be a worth while choise
    cheers in advance for any help on this matter