Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

East coast, south bound delivery

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Capt Ralph, Sep 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

From Portsmouth he should be able to make it straight to A.C. with that boat going around Montauk (weather permitting) and save a day rather than going to Liberty, BUT double check the fuel burn. I once made the mistake of believing the fuel burn an owner gave me and it left be short of A.C. and calling Sea Tow for fuel on a run from Newport on a 43 SR. Not a mistake I'd make twice. He could also run up Peconic Bay, fuel at the canal and come out Shinnecock Inlet and definitely make A.C. (My original plan before the owner convinced me the 1 hour detour wasn't needed.)

There's one big reason I never transported snail boats, i.e. never found an owner willing to pay my rate to move their boat at -7kts. To do hull speed on a cruising boat may be ok if you run it up for 1/2 hour out of every 8, but I don't believe it's OK to do that day in/day out for 2 or 3 weeks. They're just not tuned for that.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i agree. My comments was meant in general and for larger boats. Every trip, every boat is different and keeping an open mind is always good

depending on the history of the boat, I would avoid running offshore on the first couple of days even in calm weather. I d run LIS then down the jersey coast.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Other than fuel capacity and sea conditions, the only reason I'd go up the Sound is strong winds from the west which you'd save yourself from by getting in the lea of the Jersey shore, but at the cost of another day's fuel, dockage and crew rate. Between Montauk and So. Jersey there's help available if needed. (except in winter).
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd still like to hear what part of fall we're talking about.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I delivered an old 60' Trawler down from Hamptons,NY to Stuart,FL and then back up there over a year later in October.......Hull speed was 8.2 knots unless you had current on the bow and slowed down equal to the amount of current. A lot of days we saw 5.7-6.2 knots for most of the day, we took ICW due to the speed and owner agreed. It took 23/24 days each way........I felt guilty when I gave the owner the bill, but he had taken it North the first time himself, never ever wanted to do it again and was more than glad to pay it AND thanked me and tipped me well on top of it. Despite the size of the bill. Every day we ran 10-12 hours just to try to make the next stop as the earlier stop inevitably was around 12-1pm......but was comfortable in the air conditioned pilot house, and mate and I ran from air conditioned pilot house/lower helm and could take turns of a couple of hours each throughout the day and the other could sit in the salon and play on the computer or watch movies and was calm (ICW) so like being in a house. A couple of days we stopped early and the entire schedule was at our discretion, owner encouraged us to run less hours than we did each day. BUT, when the time came to run it back North, I really didn't want to take it......Ironically it was for sale here for about a year, got the boat up there in October.......A guy came along a few weeks later, looked at it and bought it in November, and in early December when it closed, took it right back South!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Invariably after the good weather is gone (late October / November). One guy had us move his boat south in January. Lonely on the north Atlantic at that time. But I'd much prefer 10' rollers on the ocean than 5' chop on L.I. Sound.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not sure. Survey next week. Sooner than I thought.
    Then closing. Then personal schedules need to get together.

The good part, when I told him 8 days plus, He woke up.

Think it's going by truck for around $14k.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hopefully that includes haul, splash, removal and re-installation of the top and all permits and tolls because that's sound like nearly double what it'll cost on its own bottom. By truck you're probably talking 3-4 days on the road with restrictions plus the haul and drop days.
  9. olderboater

Sounds like less than on it's bottom with a paid crew and at cruising speed.
  10. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

You be hauling butt my friend!
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

35 knots! :D
  12. olderboater

We've done Fort Lauderdale to Myrtle Beach in two days.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A 75' Sportfish I worked on many years ago, did Palm Beach to Staten Island, NY in 2 days many times.
  14. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Only in MY dreams!!! Lol
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's been a few years so DK where rates are at these days but I used to charge $400 a day and $100 for a mate. Fuel was considerably more expensive than today, but seems fuel, dockage and meals were about $4,000 +- NY to Miami. I once did Miami to LI in 5 days. So the total for that run would be about $6,500. 10 days to 2 weeks was more the norm for that trip, but it would still come to less than $14,000 all in. Most of the boats I moved were around this size, but naturally the bigger the boat the more expensive the job, and there was generally a very generous tip at the end. I also encouraged owners to come along as mate. They got a great experience and learned a lot, but they handled the expenses at those times.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Where did you find mates for $100 a day? The homeless shelter?

1400 miles x 2.5 gpnm = 3500 gallons x $2.50 per gallon = $8750 just in fuel
    crew and meals $800 x 8 days = $6400
    dockage 8 days = $800
    Tips, flights to the boat or home etc. $500
    Total $16450 if nothing breaks or any weather that slows you down.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lol... I hate restaurant food. I can Do much better. :) I used to do MIami nantucket on 3200 USG , About 3 night dockage and $500 of provisions...

Nothing like dripping the hook somewhere peaceful. No need for a human anchor watch... there is an app for that :)
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, prices have changed. Finding a responsible person to deckhand was always the hardest thing since responsible people generally have F/T jobs. So I'd generally tap friends who could use their vacation time. So the $100 was on top of their vacation pay. It was hard enough to even get them to take money as for them it was a once in a lifetime experience. Sometimes I did have to go with more professionals and in that case I dipped into my fee for them.
    I won't challenge your accounting though cause your experience is more current than mine. But since most us know what "about" $14,000 for trucking means, then add in a haul, stripping and replacing the top and re-splash the dollars sound like 6 of 1 and a half-dozen of the other. Yep when you use a boat it might break down, but if it does it's most likely coming anyway, and in all my trips only once was I held up for more than a day waiting for repairs. Personally I think I'd rather my boat break down with professionals on board during transport than on Saturday afternoon with my family. Then again trucks break down too. Water is also the perfect cradle for a boat as opposed to bouncing down the road with only a few points of contact. My point is that if the money is anywhere close to even I'd leave my boat in the water and intact, and if the owner can come along for even a leg he'll have an experience worth its weight in gold. But I'm retired so I'm not trying to sell my services. I just want to help the owner make an educated decision. But if you think it's better to truck 40' boats to Florida that's your business, and I'm sure the trucking industry appreciates your giving it to them.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I got into the business because I loved the adventure. A big part of that adventure was meeting the people and experiencing the local culture along the way. I'd dip the hook on my own boat, but no way would I trust an app to wake me up fast enough (especially with the shallows along the ICW) after running a boat for 12 hours on a boat I'm being paid to protect. If anything were to happen to a boat I was running I never wanted to have to struggle in answering 'Why did you...'.
  20. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I've delivered many boats that were either brand-new or recently sold. Many of them had no galley gear other than a microwave. No pots, pans, or dishes. I still have my delivery kit from the Mexico SeaRay and Azimut delivery days that has knives, forks, spoons, a bowl, 2" blue tape, a few tools, and wire ties (and other gear).
    Funny how people strip all of the little stuff out of a boat when they sell it. According to some of the new owners, stuff like that is removed while the ink is drying on the purchase contract.
    The last southbound East Coast we did was on a 75' in late October. The weather outside was bad enough that the the only way we could do any southing was inside. Camp LeJeune is an interesting place :( It sure is the long way around.