Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta

Earthrace 2008

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by K1W1, Sep 1, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I found the article below when reading the news from the Motherland

"The New Zealand Earthrace crew will try again early next year to tackle their world speed record attempt.

The team of four will leave from Spain mid-February on a mission to beat the 75-day record to circumnavigate the world.

Earthrace is trying to beat the record set by British diesel-powered boat Cable & Wireless in 1998, which travelled 24,382 nautical miles in 74 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes.

Structural damage and a fatal high-sea collision with a fishing boat 22km off the Guatemalan coast scuppered the trimaran crew's last attempt.

Skipper and former Hamilton man Pete Bethune described this year's attempt as "bloody hard" and a "violent experience" but was always keen to try and beat the record again.

Although the 24-metre trimaran would still be powered by biofuels, next year's theme would be carbon neutral - reducing CO2 outputs as much as possible and balancing what was left through purchasing carbon offsets.

Mr Bethune, who leaves for Europe in two weeks, said many businesses in Europe had already adopted the method and he believed Kiwis should start to do it too.

Although he and his wife Sharyn nearly went broke funding the last race - it set them back $750,000 - he was expecting next year's race to be easier on the pocket.

Holding public tours of the boat, at $5 a pop, not only helped fund the adventure but also spread the environmental message.

"We mortgaged the house too, but we're not complaining about it. It's just what it took to get the boat in the water . . . We still owe money but it's all long-term debt."

The boat will also make appearances during this year's Rugby World Cup which kicks off next Saturday (NZ time).

It will be in Edinburgh when the All Blacks play Scotland in pool play.

If the All Blacks top their pool and advance to the quarterfinals, the boat will be on show in Cardiff where the match will be played.

Then it will be taken to Paris for the semifinals and final.
    "

Sourced from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4185848a11.html
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

You have to applaud the man's determination to get the deed done.
    If he can avoid even half the crap that messed up the last attempt he should be able to pull it off. I'll sure be watching this as closely as I did last time.
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Yes it was a tragedy but those fishing boats rarely have lights so you can't blame the helmsman to much. Here's their site;

www.earthrace.net
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The collision in the dark was unfortunate and Earthrace was absolved of responsibility. I was thinking more of the technical issues with propulsion that caused so many delays.
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Should I forward my ex-wife's contact info to them? She's worth a whole crossing by now, no doubt. :D
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I take it that your ex wife was or is on the large size then!
  8. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I can see the new fast food chains ads already, go green eat a Big mac, then get liposuction to power your new biofuel vehicle.
  9. AggieH2O

AggieH2O New Member

I am a friend of Pete Bethune. I flew to Charleston, SC to do carbon fiber repair on Earthrace. If you ever get the chance to tour his vessel, it is worth the money, travel expenses included. If you can not afford that or do not have the time, I would recommend going to his website and purchasing his video. It shows the making of Earthrace and very interesting. Best of luck mate from your fellow Texan. Cheers Pete :D
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Where do you get the idea that the Earthrace Skipper Pete Bethune is a Texan?

He sounds like a New Zealander and his Bio shows him to be a New Zealand Citizen
  11. AggieH2O

AggieH2O New Member

When I flew to Charleston to visit Pete and assist with the repairs, I made him eat hamburger combo meal equal to the size we serve here in Texas. Texas has their own size when it comes to servings. After he completed the meal, he looked at me in pain and asked if this made him a Texan. I said sure and it was just a joke between us. When I talk to him I always say that so he will remember that "bloody huge hamburger!"
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

This doesn't read like someone who simply shared a burger with the man in any way shape or form
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

15. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Making good time despite a couple of glitches.
    Prop strike but not much detail about it. Considering that the boat was built purely for speed and sound/vibration isolation wasn't a major goal, hitting anything at speed must have produced quite the bang inside there.
    Hope they get it all sorted in Singapore.
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Looks like they'll make it this time. Halfway through the Suez Canal.
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

THey're nearly there.... about 25 kms left to go. :D
  18. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

They made it.
    Good on them.
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This just in...

20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator