Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning

Dynamic Positioning on yachts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Chris W, Dec 1, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Just Z-drives which is the azimuthing thruster tug boats have, a 360 degree rotation giving as much power in reverse as forward and combined with bow thruster, makes maneuvering and docking a stressless movement of a few fingers.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I would think would be great for a boat of that type. Ultimate in joystick docking.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Feedback from the owners over the years has only been positive.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've never run Z drives, but have always been told they need a good bit of getting used to in order to maneuver with them.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We have it on a couple of passenger ferries and in the beginning they could create a lot of rolling when they maneuvered with too much power...
  6. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Once you get the hang of using the Z-drives for maneuvering, you will find they are far more versatile than conventional propellers and rudders. Getting to the point of being completely familiar and proficient with them, can be stressful.
  7. CaptPKilbride

I would think your exposure to ISM in the commercial setting of the Gulf of Mexico would be far more valuable than certification as a DPO?
  8. CaptPKilbride

So I read an interesting article this morning on another website, and because I am unsure what Carl's policy is on linking to other yachting websites, here are the Cliff's Notes:
    Apparently in the port of Antibes, in the vicinity of the IYCA they are installing prism type optical reflectors for use with a laser position reference system used with Dynamic Positioning Systems. The gist of the article was that a very large new build would be using the prism reflectors with their DP system to aid berthing.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I don't think there is any need to be a rocket scientist to determine what boat that will be.
  10. CaptPKilbride

Agreed. I just don't do the name dropping thing.
  11. CaptPKilbride

I think it is pretty cool to see, though, that super precise laser position reference systems have made their way to the yachting sector of the maritime world.
  12. JimmyO

JimmyO New Member

Live in PA do majority of boating in FL and Bahama
    On the Volvo IPS website the have a list of boat manufactures installing there system. I know that SeaVee installs them on their 39 footer. And my understanding is a game changer for fishing.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

SeaVee pretty much installs anything you want on the 39 which is a great boat. The IPS on it has some great advantages and some disadvantages. Much depends on what type fishing you do.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem with IPS is you lose the head inside the console and storage. You don't gain any efficiency and get less speed. Also 4 outboards screws up the rough water handling and ride on the 39' Seavee and all other center consoles that size. The trim tabs end up being too close to the outbound motors and if you use more than about 1/2 trim tab the outside motors suck air and cavitate.

I ran a 39' Seavee with 3-350 hp Yamaha's. It was the perfect combo, tons of acceleration, top speed of 54 knots, up to 45 mph it got 1 mpg.....and had a range of almost 700 miles..... it rode AMAZING. I launched it at 54 knots 6' out of the water on survey and seatrial twice and you never even felt it come down.......it just cut through everything.