Click for United Click for St. Pete Port Click for DeAngelo Click for Christensen Click for Llebroc

Duffy Electric boats....?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Norseman, Sep 18, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. USNmullett

USNmullett New Member

Been in the boating industry about 17 years, last 10 of which primarily on the West Coast. Specialize in electric propulsion and worked for Duffy for half a decade plus 2 other major electric boat manufacturers. There's issues with manufacturing and quality control we could talk about for days but the guy (Pier Urathane) who used to make the props for Duffy sold them to the public until his unexpected death and now the kids tossed the molds. Tried to buy them. Few people have tested different props being 1 small 3 blade SS and 2 urathane ones that I know of and was given a report of after. All 3 caused overheating issues with the controller (Curtis platform with stainless case put together by Duffy). The **** boats are so finicky I just use the standard ones floating around Newport. If I hear of any alternative I'll let you know.
    If you ever need any parts feel free to reach out. I source just about everything for the models dating back to Shock / Duffy colaberation. They claim a lot of parts are proprietary, more so just sourced from local mom and pop shops locally.
    Eden
    [email deleted]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  2. joules

joules New Member

Hi Eden, thank you so much for joining the conversation. Sounds like you are the kind of person I've been looking for. I've had to speak with Duffy to get any meaningful information about my '83 Duffy, built by W.D. Schock.

I've noticed that both their 10" propeller and the 12" seem to be copies of Michigan Wheel's machine pitch and DJ335. I have both urethane props from Duffy, currently using the 12" although it does drive my motor RPM down to ~1500, I am running a different motor, Motenergy ME1305 brushless PMAC. There seems to be a large efficiency improvement from spinning a larger prop at half the speed but it does cause motor cooling issues. I need additional gear reduction past the 2.8:1 ratio, like a Baldor speed reducer gearbox.

I am looking for a part that comes from the W.D. Schock era. The curved brass/bronze toe rail chock at the stern of the boat that sits at the corner of the teak toe rails.

Attached Files: