Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Perko

Dry bilge Solutions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Aug 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Because S/skr is indeed a premium builder in some ways, but attention to detail in "behind the scenes" installations just ain't one of them.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's a boat, floating in water. I see more issues with bilge pumps in "dry bilge" boats because they just sit there and don't get exercised. Things may drain into the bilge, sometimes it's the engine room hatch, etc. etc.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That's precisely what I meant with my previous comment ref. attention to detail (lack of) in some "hidden" parts of the boat.
    See, it is indeed possible to build e/r hatches that don't let one drop of water inside, no matter how hard you could try, even with a pressure washer.
    As well as it's possible to build e/r air intakes which drain 100% of external water outside - be it when washing the boat, or when it rains, or in rough seas.
    And it's not hard to fit a shower pump box wherever there is some condensation water to be collected (fridges, chillers, whatever).

In this respect, what you said ("there's nothing wrong with that") is a bit debatable.
    Sure, we aren't talking of something that could sink a boat, but I can name you several boats of other builders whose bilges are normally as dry as a bone, mine included.
    Which is something I very much like, not because I'm maniac about it, but because if and when you see some liquid, you know there's some fault to be found somewhere.

That said, I agree that bilge pumps should be regularly exercised.
    But I very much prefer to do it myself, rather than let some unidentified liquid do the job, if you see what I mean... :)
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Yes, we're using them. We change them every couple of years to avoid buildup and failures. But other locations like a forward bilge and laz, where we want zero water needs a different solution.
    LM Viking likes this.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

We have an aft and forward sump in the "wet" bilge so that water sits only in the low sump, not in a wider, open area. Sumps can then be cleaned and maintained regularly. Any damage being created to a metal boat is then relegated to those sumps and can be better monitored very long term.
  6. Ric

Ric New Member