Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Drug use by captains?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by DocRon, Mar 7, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chela

Chela New Member

captains and crew drinking on vessel

[There is a number of drinking going on with on a vessel as well as disregarding coast guard regulations .
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Do you care to expand on this vague statement?
  3. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I don't see where drug use is a major problem in the yachting community. I have been around numerous commercial fishing vessels whose crews may have been a bit suspect to say the least. The majority of your working captains not "paper captains" are paid fairly well to run and manage yachts but part of that pay is to not take part in certain activities like drinking underway and using drugs. There will always be a few who may but there are also firemen, policemen, teachers, and even members of the Coast Guard who have lost jobs due to using drugs. I firmly believe that an extremely small percent get tied up in these sort of things.
  4. Natalie

Natalie New Member

While I'm in agreement that transgressions (minor or catastrophic) occur in all areas of life & business, I wonder how many users of any substances would get on an airplane with knowledge that the Flight Captain was under the influence -- or have an impaired surgeon operate on them (yes, I've heard stories about these, too). One may not EXPECT a user/addict to make the right decision (much like a drunk driver hasn't the full capacity to decide not to drive). However, a coherent person looking the other way is appalling.