Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander

Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Marblehead01945, Feb 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Ad hominem arguments are always invalid and always unprofessional."

What post are you referring to? The one in which I wrote that port state control already has the power to do what they are asking distant managers to do, or the one in which I defended the safety record of large charter yachts?

Is disdain for calls to create a police state not politically correct enough? I guess I missed the ad hominem part ... the lack of professionalism you introduced was not even mentioned.

The absolute fact that it is difficult to ensure that crews are properly certificated is on ongoing reality in this business, and is in my experience and opinion, a bigger threat to management and owners than a perceived drug problem.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have a close involvement in this business, I have not recently seen or heard about an epidemic of drug crazed crew running amok in Antigua or anywhere else.

Anywhere that is being exposed as the dangerous place that Antigua has turned into would do what ever it could including checkbook journalism to try and cast doubt on the true cause of the problems.

The contributor to that Article pasted on the last page has a vested interest in seeing no reduction in the revenue extracted from yachts so can be fully expected to have this view through rose tinted spectacles.

It seems strange that the violent crime recently attributed to drugs is against visitors two of whom were asleep in their beds at the time and another who was on his way home from dinner.

Has there been any cases of yachties murdering locals for their stash?

No one seems to have taken time to notice or mention the shore based drug problem that infests the place and has done so for many years.

Marmots posts are sometimes a bit long and take some digesting but they are filled with facts and figures, something I feel the majority of those coming here to find information are seeking not half truths and unfounded statements passed off as gospel by a small number of the contributors on YF.
  3. Maria B

Maria B New Member

Well said K1W1 and a concise and logical review of the sad situation in Antigua. Sometimes the obvious gets lost in the discussion.
  4. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

Marmot's Disdain

I got this one wrong.

I interpreted your comments to be an attack on NYCAP123. I've asked a few other people if I hit the nail on the head but it would appear I completely missed and just hit my thumb—or in this case, your thumb.

You weren't being disdainful, nor were you using an ad hominem argument. I jumped to a conclusion which was not correct and I apologize to you and this forum for my comment.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For the record NYCAP's a big boy.:cool: But this is the kind of thing that comes about when we make personal criticisms. So, as I mentioned at the turn of the new year how about we all concentrate on providing whatever wisdom we can to the enquiring even if the questions or statements may not seem knowledgeable. I think that most of us are here to learn, teach, help, entertain and meet others with like interests. That's pretty good for a Forum.
  6. Didel

Didel Guest

Agree

I agree your policy.
    First of all the crew is responsible by the safety of guests.

Didel

7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"I apologize ..."

Thank you for posting that.

No harm done. I am often quite blunt and some find that disturbing.
  8. Zeke

Zeke Member

Drug testing of non-driving crew

Hey, I have a question I can't seem to get an answer to:

I understand that a 6pack/12pack Captain must be drug tested as part of being a licensed mariner.

I understand that all crew on a 6pack/12pack UPV must carry TWIC cards.

But are the Chef and Stewardess on a UPV on commercial charter required to be enrolled in a drug testing program?

Z
  9. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Next June my renewal is due for Masters. While it is an expense, I have no issue with mandatory drug-testing. It certainly could be more effective (along with alcohol - how about a air-pilot breathalizer beofre takeoff and in-flight??), but it all has to do with LIABILITY. No one wants to pay for damages, especially US Gov't agenices issuing licenses.

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're part of the crew. Although, having no license, it's up to the employer (a liability issue). That said, in 22 years I've taken one pre-employement test plus every 5 years for renewal. Of course, in the event of an incident I'd expect to be handed a cup pretty fast.