Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Marblehead01945, Feb 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mahalo mate:cool:
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

"So basically I look on the drug tests as mostly a waste of time and money although they do have their place (as mentioned earlier) and they've created another industry that employs people. That is probably why this thread hasn't appeared before. It's just not that big a problem in our industry today"

I wholeheartdly disagree with this, I think drug use among the big boat crews is quite prevalent. Lots of drugs in St. Maarten, Antigua and in Europe as well. When you get young people with alot of spare cash around, this is invevitable.
    Interesting that I found this thread, Mike French from IYT just started a blog on this, that I was reading last night, worthwhile reading for all Captains!
    I instituted random testing last spring, using a hair follicle test that goes back 3 months, and very hard to cheat on! I will tell you that crew are very good at lieing to your face, no matter how freindly you are with them.
    For me it was a matter of CYA, we spend alot of time in the US and if there is an accident, the first thing that will happen will be an alcohol and drug test, better to show that you are proactive than reactive.
    If anyone is interested I will pass on the test info and how it is implemented.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually I understand that the hair follicle test goes back as far as that hair has been growing. I also think it is rediculous that you have to be worried about whether your deckhand smoked a joint while home for Thanksgiving 2 1/2 months ago. Not to say that you don't; just that it is rediculous. Many yachts cruising up north during the summer will hire students on summer break. What do you think the odds are on finding a college student, willing and with the time to work on a yacht, that won't click positive after a year away at school? Even if they did nothing, where they at a party where they may have inhalled some second hand smoke. And once they click positive it's on their record. That could hurt future job prospects. I've always considered the tests an invasion except as an investigative or evidence gathering tool in the event of an incident. By the standards of a hair folicle test I agree that you could definitely find that there is a drug problem, but on the basis of is the crew debilitated on duty or bringing drugs on board I sincerely doubt it and haven't seen it. I have however seen drunk and hungover, but that's legal.
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Actually the hair follicle test goes back about 3 months. I am not forcing anyone to work on my boat, employment is voluntary!
    Why should working on a yacht be any different than any other business that drug tests? Most businesses do drug testing.
    I am actively encouraging all my fellow Captains to implement a plan similar to mine, and so far I have nothing but positeve responses. The hardest part is the initial implementation, being worried that your great crewperson who has been working for you a long time will fail, but there are ways deal with that.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually,
    so the overzealous can indeed check as far back as they desire if they'd happen to enjoy ruining some kid's life to help themselves feel more superior.
    What exactly are the ways to deal with that without being descriminatory or selective? And it wouldn't bother you to fire and ruin "your great crewperson who has been working for you a long time"? And if he was such a great, long time crewperson do you really feel that if he smoked a joint last Thanksgiving that makes him worth getting rid of? Is it OK if he got drunk last night and is hung over today? There's no test for that and the substance he used is legal.
    First, I believe that is an unwarranted invasion of privacy, and only says the person cleaned up for the test since he could have done cocaine 72 hours ago and you wouldn't know by the normal urine test which is what most employers give. Second The cost is not justified by the results. Third, with the dirth of good employees out there I'd hate to lose one or spend 6 months training a new one if the one I have is great but he smoked a joint 2 months ago. To go back further than a month is looking for an excuse to not hire or to fire.
    And finally:
    That phrase smacks of superiority and has been quoted to justify every abuse of power from paying women less for the same work to being physically and verbally abusive to employees to segregation.
    Being an employer gives you a responsibility to give a fair days pay for a fair days work. It does not give you ownership rights to that individual when he goes home.
  6. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

This has been a good lively conversation. I'm very torn on issues involving the owner or guests of the owner using drugs aboard. In a previous job I dealt with rock stars etc. on a daily basis and I get conflicted over how to deal with the issue. I am not law enforcement ( or am I?????) so I don't feel a need to "enforce" drug laws. However (and this is a big "however"), as a captain you are the "parent". Adult supervision does come into play in situations like this and rock stars (and crew) sometimes need adult supervision to prevent things from escalating into a bad situation. All it takes is a small, tiny screw up by a guest or owner and now your boat is being torn up. I like the suggestion by someone earlier that you have a crew member have a nice discreet chat with the guest. I think this will work if you have a crew member with enough tact to handle the situation properly. A very touch situation for sure....

Do we all agree that its important to have a conversation with all guests and crew before dealing with customs about the issues involved with possessing illegal drugs or is it implied?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No need to talk with the crew. That conversation happened a long time ago. I also wouldn't insult or bemuse Mr.& Mrs. middle America. But if I had 'Rock Star' on board I might wisper in his ear because I would really hate to see a guest arrested.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

What does this mean? NO DRUGS means "NO DRUGS". It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from.
  9. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Dear NYCAP- The nice thing about being a Captain is I can choose how to run my boat, within the confines of the law and owners approval. From what I see by being in the thick of it, drug testing is needed.
    I feel for the crewman who might be an occasional user of pot once in a blue moon, but seeing as I am not a drug expert or can read peoples minds, I feel the best way to go is to hire non drug users, period!
    When I implemented my program I gave all my crew members ample time to clean up to pass the test, to a one they said lets take it now!
    Next time you meet for a job interview ask the owner if he minds if you hire people that use drugs now and then, or better yet, if you are asked to implement a drug testing program refuse, and let's see how long you keep your job.
    You keep coming back to the drinking thing everytime, drugs are Illegal, period. Alcohol and being under the legal BAC is not. That's the difference!
    No need for this to get personal, we just have a difference of opinion on how to manage a multi-million asset.
  10. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

I’ve been doing a little reading. According to Wikipedia’s listing for Drug Testing, everyone’s hair grows about .5” per month, which means that if a captain requires their crews to have very short hair then the look back period is shorter. Even so, the client can determine how far back they are looking simply by cutting the hair, which is what is typically done for the test by using only the newest 1.5” of hair growth, ie 90 days.

Also, I should be noted that a false positive is quite possible if the hair is not adequately cleaned by the lab before the test and many labs do not. (So if that person was at a concert, the beach, a party or in a bar where marijuana was being smoked by others, they could get a false positive reading.)

On all drug tests, there must be a significant enough amount of the drug in the system to be statistically significant. With a urine test, just because they found signs of the drug does not mean they will fail the test, but most likely means they were around second hand smoke. All test results will show the level of the drug in the system and that threshold will determine if they pass or fail. Any employer can determine what is statistically significant for them by getting more information from the testing company.

This means you can tell if someone is blazing up every evening or just playing around on the weekends.

If a test does come back positive, then the testing company will always test again, (They split the specimen in half for this purpose. Both tests must agree with each other to be significant.)

It would be foolish for any employer to perform a home administered drug test on an employee which could result in terminating an employee since there is no professional third party involved to support your grounds. (Unless, of course, you live in my State since you can fire anyone at any time for any reason or no reason at all.)
  11. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

The history of random drug testing began with the US Military and then spread to the public sector when initially only Pilots or other high-consequence jobs were tested. The debate then was that if you allow pilots to be tested now then soon enough everyone will be being randomly tested later. This is exactly what has happened since now even the mail boy who may do his job very well in spite of owning a bong as long as his arm, can be tested and fired.

The truth is Marijuana is NOT a junkie drug, like cocaine, meth, opiates and heroin. Also, there is absolutely no statistical significance to the idea that “Marijuana is a gateway drug.” Making a statement that anything is a gateway anything is completely a political statement and has no significance in the science behind it. If you must choose a “gateway drug” then statistically, the most significant link between junkie drugs (another political statement) and “beginner” drugs is tobacco. If you use tobacco you are far more likely to use junkie drugs than someone that smokes weed only. (I researched all this because I wanted the truth about drugs, not just Reagan’s and Bush’s dogma. My background in Stats helped too.)

(On a side note: The recent national campaign about the effects of alcohol and the development of teens is completely political too. Most alcohol use by most teens will have absolutely no affect on their development at all. Only in large quantities and prolonged use will alcohol affect the development of teens. I strongly oppose underage drinking, but I also oppose being lied too. ...and they're using our tax dollars to do it.)
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

as captains we are responsible to follow rules and regulations, this is part of the job. Not doing so, puts the owner and his yacht at risk.

drugs, including pot, is ILLEGAL. the law doens't make exceptions for occasional use, recreational use or if you are a college student. And what does recreational use mean anyway??

what part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand, unless you are a politician who's hoping to benefit from illegal immigration :)

and dont' get me started on the fact that checking the drug use box will get your license application rejected but it's ok if you run for President!
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Geez Pascal- Haven't you ever wondered if your in the wrong job- there might be an opening at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500 in 4 yrs time so start smoking now if you want to apply :)
  14. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Not good to have this hitting the mainstream press

From Yachting World:

Drugs 'endemic' among yacht crews
    When it was revealed that Drew Gollan, the 38-year-old superyacht skipper shot dead on Antigua in January, was thought to be in possession of a quantity of drugs at the time of his death, it prompted local yachting industry luminaries to comment on what they regard as an endemic problem among yacht crews in Antigua.
    John Duffy, president of the Antigua & Barbuda Marine Association, is calling for regular drug testing to combat the situation.
    "I have continually stated that if there was no demand there would be no supply and that a large amount of crime is drug related," said Duffy. "For too long drugs have been freely available to yacht crew - you could go into some bars and order a beer and a 'charlie'," he claimed.
    "There was a culture here that the yachting industry was so important that you couldn't do anything to upset them which included turning a blind eye to the drug dealing," he continued.
    "The unfortunate consequence of that was the drug dealers were given a free rein and other criminals would see the yachting community as easy pickings. All that now has to change," he told Yachting World.
    "Some yacht management companies drug test crew before they are employed and carry out regular drug testing, " he said. "This ought to be standard procedure for all yacht management companies and yacht crew employment agencies.
    "If a skipper can be using drugs when in charge of a multi-million dollar yacht then the company employing him must have been acting irresponsibly if they did not test him," claimed Duffy.
    "I am not saying that Antigua has not been at fault for not enforcing the anti-drugs laws but the blame and responsibility does go a lot wider and others have to play their part," he said.
    He also reiterated the fact that a zero tolerance policy for both suppliers and users will be enforced from now on, something that is supported by yacht skippers. "Some have even suggested that a local drugs testing clinic should be available. It is an initiative we (the ABMA) are looking at closely along with ABSAR (Antigua Barbuda Search and Rescue) who also act as the local paramedics."
    Duffy is not the only one to highlight the use of drugs in the yachting community and to claim that this is fuelling the problems of drug related violence. One leading yachtsman who wanted to remain anonymous claimed the demand for drugs among crew had "become huge, and of course some bad guys from town are taking advantage with the supply."
    He felt that the answer to the problem should start with the owners and management companies of yachts and that drug testing for crews should be mandatory. He said that this would help eliminate demand, "and the bad guys would go elsewhere".
    "More police will calm the area but the problem will not go away until the demand goes away and more police will change the nice free and easy atmosphere of English Harbour," he said. He emphasised that he thought the responsibility lay with captains and owners.
    Another leading businessman in the Caribbean yachting industry said: "The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, agents and captains all have a very dirty act to deal with here. Rogue pilots are quickly dealt with in the airline industry - superyachts should be treated no differently."
    He also claimed that some high profile captains, some of them commercially Class 1V rated, receive drug and alcohol addiction counselling. "Because of this lamentable truth many crew rest in the secure knowledge that drug use will never be properly addressed and stamped out," he claimed.
    The police, security services and Crime Stoppers on the island reacted quickly after the Gollan death, for which a man is now in custody charged with his murder, and the Marine Association issued a statement with details of measures they hope will soon be in place.
    Requests for more patrols and stop and search authorisation have been made to the Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer and the island's Police Commissioner Thomas Bennett and the zero tolerance policy on drugs is already in place.
    There is a plan to install CCTV equipment, Tourist Police Patrols are being stepped up and the island's Crime Stoppers van is making more regular visits to the English and Falmouth Harbour areas.
    The local community is being urged to contact Crime Stoppers on a local number 800 TIPS (8477) or go online to www.crimestoppersantigua.com if they have any information about the Gollan killing or any other crime. The site offers an untraceable service to ensure anonymity.

Yachting World/David Glenn, 5 February 2009

Now what were you saying about there being no need for drug testing in yachting!!
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Not good to have this hitting the mainstream press ..."

Yachting World isn't really the "mainstream press," it isn't selling to the rockbound masses but nevertheless it doesn't bode well when things get bad enough to pierce the veil. It's hardly surprising though, considering that most yachties appear to place the blame on the townies. We can't expect them to just take the heat and not point back when there may be some complicity.

"He felt that the answer to the problem should start with the owners and management companies ..."

It's hard enough to make sure the officers hold current and valid certificates much less prove they are drug-free. When flag states and/or port states take yachting seriously we might be able to do something.

Until an owner loses his yacht to confiscation, or a UHNWI or family member is videotaped being carried off in a bag due to a drug related incident onboard - one that really does make the 6 o'clock news in Kansas City and Entertainment Tonight - nothing is likely to change.

If the local constabulary believes there are drug problems onboard visiting yachts they should excercise the powers they already have and conduct searches or test watchstanders for drugs. Until they take their role seriously they can hardly expect someone else to do the job for them. They are the port state for heaven's sake, they have the power to deal with this issue. The question is, do they have the will?
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wow, with a drug problem that bad yachts must be crashing and people falling overboard at an alarming rate. How are these yachts conducting charter operations with passengers, crew and property getting hurt so often?
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"How are these yachts conducting charter operations with passengers, crew and property getting hurt so often?"

Who said they were? If the dayboat business was as safe as the large yacht charter business there wouldn't be all those neat pictures of boat wrecks to post on the net.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i dont' think it's fair to spread un founded rumors about the skipper who was killed in Antigua. These rumors have turned out to be untrue and the official police reports confirmed that.
  19. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

Marmot,

Your disdain is palpable. Earlier you talked about the lack of professionalism among the yachting community. It’s perfectly okay that you or anyone else don’t agree with each other, but I would guess that a professional could disagree without being disagreeable.

Besides, Ad hominem arguments are always invalid and always unprofessional.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

From that article one would assume that these yachts are being operated by a bunch of stoned out hippy freaks. I just don't believe it. Could a crewmember smoke a joint while the boat is hanging on the dock for several weeks? Sure, and he may drink a beer as well. I do not see a captain operating one of these yachts while impaired by anything or putting up with a crewmember being impaired while on board whether it be drugs, booze, sickness or a spat with his girl. No drug test needed. If a crewmember can't operate at 100% efficiency for whatever reason he's gone.