Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for MotorCheck

drippless shaft seals

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by thatcher, Mar 20, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. thatcher

thatcher Member

hello everyone - I have replaced my drippless shaft seal manufactured by tides marine. There is no more leaking, however if you knock it, it will squirt water. Any sugestions on how to stop this.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Stop knocking it.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Marmot, practical advice as always!
  4. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Darn it, now I have to clean my keyboard again Marmot!!!:D

I suspect your dripless housings needed more than just a lip seal replacement. If they were under a bind (due to missalignment?), and the cutlass bearing inside is worn, it will allow the whole assembly to shift laterally far enough to open a gap on the lip seal and leak.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Make sure the seal AND seal housing are square with the shaft. The shaft log hose should be supporting but yet a little flexible to allow the seal assembly to float. The shaft needs to be pretty centered in this shaft log hose also.
    When You put the cover back on, the seal may be a little difficult to get all in the housing (log cup?) but it has to be all the way in and even. Don't rely completely on the screws to to draw the cover down and call it done. Pull the cover back off and double check with a flash light that the o/d of the seal has not deformed and is in all the way.

And of course; stop knocking it...
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Marmot,

thanks for the good laugh