Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Drawing software...

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by talkingstone, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Mikael, here are some "chrome" details I have done in Freehand by using gradients.

Attached Files:

3. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Lars, I’m using gradients myself, but to get the chrome look, don’t you have to do the color blending "manually" or is it possible to use a readymade chrome effect or filter?
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Interesting the things you learn here!
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

What I do is just gradients, but sometimes like in our logo, I made a solid (dark) shape on top of it. This add-on can also reflect a colour if you like.

The surface with a contour line, looks like the screenshot below in the menu field.

Attached Files:

6. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

That's very nice Lars but is it possible to get the 3D chrome looks on not so smooth surfaces, like on rounded or oval shape as well? What would a chrome ball look like in Freehand?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You got me there, but I think you have to add some reflections, like I did here:

Attached Files:

8. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Sorry for the interruption folks, my computer went belly up...

Yes, the reflections play a big roll. This is what I mean by blending the color manually. In chrome, you probably have some red and blue as well besides the "mandatory" grey scale. I was hoping there might be a chrome filter or something like the 3D chrome textures I think MKM was referring to.
    No such luck I guess... ;)
  9. yes, in my yacht made in 3D i applied each material to each object in solid. Well the problem it requires too much memory if i would put photos in an environment to reflect in each object, why i prefered to be neutral and just having a sky and floor grid texture, which is not the most representative but good enough for an idea. See this detail of chrome funnel I always modelled direct all in 3D and only touches in CS2 for 2D renderings. Hope this answered when you mean i didn't have luck... ;)

For balls and other curved objects and structures, remember you have to put in middle all them a horizontal line horizont that devides both sea and sky areas of reflections, but of course depending on distance this straight line can come a little bit curved, because the focus of light and observator position and its focus' distances. See those examples objects.

Hope this explanation helps.

the brown-blue chrome look is when you have coast and sky, but at sea you only have dark blue lower and gradient soft blue to sky. :rolleyes: