Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Drawing software...

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by talkingstone, Sep 7, 2005.

1. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Check this out;

http://www.sketchpad.net/fhmetals1.htm :rolleyes:
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yep, this is how it looks when you do fills as I explained in the other thread, and this is also how my avatar was colored. Up to 32 colors are provided for in the bar.

Attached Files:

3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Neat Carl. I see that not only can you add multiple colors, they also take the placement where ever you did the "drop". Not necessarily evenly spaced out. Very cool.

Kelly
  4. tartanski

tartanski Member

3D Clay modelling

Ok

the 2D 3D discussion continues, but I could go on without adding my 2pence. Recently CATIA announced a new application called Imagine and Shape. I wont get too commercial here but essentially this product was developed in response to the designers / stylists who traditionally carve their forms and shapes from Modelling clay.

I have used this new product and can say after coming from a Corel Xara, (vector graphics) background, that this product is getting close to the speed conceptual designers are looking for. It is only in its first release and already some catamarans have been designed and built with it. I have to say that the only catch is probably the price as CATIA can't really be compared to AUtoCAD or other 3D software. As Ricardo has mentioned CATIA offers much more in terms of functionality etc...

The real designers seem to be taking note too, I know that some of the worlds most prolific production boat and luxury yacht designers now beginning to use CATIA. I hope Dassaults strategy of 3D democratisation eventually end up in affordable 3D modellers for all of us enthusiasts and professionals alike. Speaking professionally the main challenge we have, with the yacht and boat design market is finding the right price....

Check out
    http://www.3ds.com/designer (Heavy Flash presentation)
    then click Imagine and Shape.
    or

http://www.3ds.com/products-solutions/3d-for-all/imagine-and-shape/overview/
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

And hopefully they (Dassault and other developers) will understand that Mac is still alive, having the fastest and most reliable platform you can work on.

Many 2 and 3D-programs started out on Macs and those may be back soon.
  6. tartanski

tartanski Member

2D 3D showdown

Yes I couldn't agree more, but unlikely in the near future, I am afraid. 64bit windows platform is required for all those heavy Automotive and cruise ship models in CATIA and that's what Dassault focus on.

However back to the 2D 3D showdown....

I am getting quicker , that doesn't mean quality is better , but here is my 50 ! minutes of work to reproduce the conceptual model Lars designed .

Remember kids I was only copying, not designing, but you will hopefully get the point.

I think in more time I could refine the hull and do the masts. but its time for bed now :)

Attached Files:

7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A good start, I look forward to see all of her in 3D later on!

Sleep well, time for me too in an hour or so...:)
  8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Only 50 minutes! I'm amazed.

slow Kelly
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Talking of 64-bits, all Macs have this and now with quad-processors I think the speed for 3d-renderings must be more than OK. Remember that many video-animations are made in Macs.

Since I don´t know what´s inside a PC, I think 3D-developers should have a look if you don´t find more in this one :) http://www.apple.com/powermac/
  10. jmr

jmr New Member

Try freeship at freeship.org

JMR
  11. TomTom

TomTom Member

software

from the view of a visualizer i would recomend to differenciate between constructing with a program and presenting the constructed. The programs are normally made and good for their targets. The nice and special tools of them can lead away from your idears! Check home- ore test-versions of the 3dprograms (lightwave, cinema4D, 3Dmax, maya, softimage, truespace, perhaps some pure modelers: modo/luxology, Amapi3D...).
  12. jmr

jmr New Member

I prefer some rough sketches (thumbnails) for first ideas and after that a quick 2D sketch with clean lines. You can use vector graphics such as Freehand. I use a free one: Inkscape. This is an example of one my sketches to show you what you can do with Inkscape.

cheers..

Attached Files:

13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Very nice Joir! <we still need a thumbsup smilie>

Kelly
  14. jmr

jmr New Member

Thanks Kelly,

I think in 2D you can make more aggressive lines than machine produced 3D renderings. It took also faster to make 2D concept drawings. From this 75 meter yacht I made about 10 variation and tested the surface on a 3D model.

BTW, my name is Jos R. on my handwriting sign looks like JOIR :)

regards,

JOS
  15. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Oops! Need new eyeglasses.

Kelly
  16. jmr

jmr New Member

Maybe it will be interesting to show different kind of renderings:

1. freehand sketch (rough thumbnail sketch)
    2. vector graphics lines renderings (illustrator/freehand, inkscape, photoshop)
    3. Painting of the ship with aquarell, oil painting etc...(deep paint e.g.)
    4. 3D machine renderered pictures (alias, rhino, ug, catia etc)

to see what is most appealing of all four method.
    For me personally, 3D modelling ist just for engineering work. To achieve an impressive picture with 3D renderings it took alot of resources and time and it looks too technical...Remember we want to wake up emotions ;)

have to go to work now,

JOS
  17. tartanski

tartanski Member

Inkscape

I have just downloaded Inkscape and am very impressed with its feature set.

I highly recommend it to all who are interested in producing 2D Yacht profile illustrations.
  18. Chrome Elements

ok, i can understand the 'back to the future' recent classy concepts, but what about some chrome applies? like bow, anchor house, hand-rails and even masts.... Maybe increase your ideas more positive. ;) Maybe a yacht all chrome. I would like to see the effect with your very good photoshop abbilities...
  19. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

MKM, I’m not using Photoshop, I’m using Freehand and probably just a fraction of its capacity.
    I’m not sure if there are any readymade chrome coloring capabilities in Freehand, but I agree that some ‘bling’ would add to the realness.