Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Perko

Donzi 80 almost a copy

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by todd, Oct 12, 2009.

1. todd

todd Member

The new Donzi 80 is a dead ringer of the Garlington 80 MV DAY MONEY built in the 1990s by McMullen and Wing, even down to the colour scheme. To be fair they are both great looking boats and I am sure that in detail they are very different but at a glance, they sure are similar
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You must be mistaken. There was a long and heated thread on this very forum that attests to the fact that yacht designers/stylists/artists and even cartoonists and computer graphics enthusiasts are far too principled and ethically endowed to let such a thing happen.
  3. todd

todd Member

donzi 80

Id love to read that thraed?what was it titled?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Far too principled and ethical

LOL. :D
  6. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) Heated ? Surely not.
    The two boats in question are indeed similar...but there are other SF'ers of a similar size just as similar ? Maybe its the basic form of a SF...flared hull / beak / curved drop to the sheer / horizontal slab of black 'window' / upper helm / tower, that makes the overall shape so similar throughout the type. Add the same colour hull and yes they look very alike. Apologies to those SF buffs who can tell one from another from a mile away, I'm not good at it myself...but I would venture that if they didn't look this way they wouldn't be considered a real SF.
  7. 84far

84far Senior Member

CODOG does have a point. imo, i think the only thing that is close would be the colour of the hull. S/F dont really have a big design window to do anything different (design wise). but there are some noteable differences between the two. hull/window/flybridge/sheer/cabin detail. cheers

far

p.s, Day Money is just gorgeous :D
  8. todd

todd Member

Yes Day Money sure was a sight to see,back then in New Zealand we just didnt have 80ft S/Fs ,the biggist we saw was 55 to 60 so when i saw her just after she was launched,I looked at her in amazment,guessing how long was she,60 no 65 no,she must be 70,I looked for so long that a crew member approched and asked what i was doing, I was shocked when he told me she was 80,we just didnt have anything like her, funny ,I drive past McMullen and wing most days and Iam sure there is still a galington hull outside in the yard,been there for a long time now
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

is it a mold from the G/L series they did, or is it an actical hull. seems odd they havent sold it off if its a hull. also todd, what are some big brand of boats over in NZ, in regards to S/F? and do they have a calling for that type of vessel?

far
  10. todd

todd Member

to my knowledge the mould was made in bolt together sections,but iam no expert,and yes there is a big place for sport fishers here as we have some fantastic fishing grounds ,our west coast has been untouched until recent times and there are new boats being pupose bulit for the contions,As for brands, riviera and maritemo are big names along with some others,also we have a strong custom build culture down here.I live in auckland nick named The city of sails,the harbour here is just fantastic with great fishing diving and alot of islands within moments of the marina,have a look at www.lloydstevensonyachts.co.nz he is one of the top five boat builders in nz as for boats for sale there is two sights to look at Trade Me and Boat trader nz
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

sounds like your trying to sell the place ;). im thinking about getting some part time work over there, so theres a few things of interests to me. also ill try and find out what the deal is with that hull if u want? as for the riviera and maritimos, im not the biggest of fans for there B/W credentials. also did u watch the louis vuitton pacific series, that would of been alright. cheers

far