Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Donzi 58 vs Davis 61

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by RumMonkeySF, Aug 24, 2012.

1. RumMonkeySF

RumMonkeySF New Member

So we went through the list of about 13 boats and none met our criteria. Now we are on to a 1999 58 donzi with mtu power vs the 2002 Davis, last 61 buddy that was built. Both are nice boats and low use. Has anybody run a donzi convertible 58?
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I wouldn't even think twice, Donzi for sure. I'd hate to own a boat that buddy built when he was on his last legs.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I saw a 61' that was built by Buddy when he was on his last legs, and the year sounds right around that time, a friend of a friend took delivery of it. If I remember correctly it had DDEC's in it. What a mess it was, all the hoses were scraps that were pieced together, there were all kinds of ******, old parts thrown into the boat, so he could get the final payment. The Donzi is a better quality boat, overall I think, although Buddy did build some good ones as well but it was the roll of the dice.
  4. Manny

Manny Senior Member

If you wanted to get a Davis 61, go for an older model that's been refitted. But even then I'd still go for the Donzi. Although Davis boats are good with head seas, the boat tends to move a lot in following seas, and it's a pretty wet ride compared to a Donzi.
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Donzi gets my vote