Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Don’t use bilge hose as fuel filler hose

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Oct 31, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

especially when running a fleet of outboard powered tour boats...

Turns out that what investigators found on the Exuma tour boat fleet, one of which exploded killing one and seriously injuring a number of passengers back in June

To make things worst the operator resumed operation a few weeks later despite a cease and desist order

Both the owner and captain where charged with manslaughter.

https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/10/02/damning-findings-in-exuma-boat-accident/
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our whole area was shocked and saddened when this happened. Prayers and sympathy was expressed immediately by all of us.
    I may have then some comments on holding the responsible down to the plate, as I usually do.

I'm not sure how the survivors and survivors of the effected families appreciate these later findings as I do.
    Somebody(s) is held accountable and court charges applied.

The courts will decide the rest of any actions and I will be happy with the courts involvement and abide with the results.
    My point is; Responsibility for a homicide and injures were investigated and prosecuted.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Did the charter operator carry liability insurance....?
    Probably not as most insurance companies would require a survey, especially for a home made boat.
    A good surveyor would certainly look at the fuel hoses among other stuff.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Tis da Bahama mon.

Tour boats are supposed to Be inspected by port authorities which create challenges down in the Exumas.

These guys started small a few years back, like all the other tour operators. One smallish outboard powered boat then they grew and grew and grew, modifying and building boats. They had one or two 40/45 custom alum cat.

Years ago we had guests that transfered out of Gtown to Staniel after landing in the middle of the night. 30 footer with no light, GPS or radar running flat out on a moonless night dodging Cays, rocks and shallows.

‘Tis da Bahama mon... till it turned tragic