Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Walker

Don’t know whether to go to Florida for vacation this week

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by motoryachtlover, Mar 12, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, we have a large group originating from Port Everglades. Noticed a British Cruise ship now anchored off the Bahamas as no one will allow them to land and they have positive tests. They're now hoping Cuba will let them land. Hoping to get supplies and doctors while anchored in Bahamas. Last stop was St. Marteen. They tried Jamaica but were refused.
  2. olderboater

I wouldn't go that far, but would advise to carefully consider it. Don't know how long you intend to be there, but how do you feel about the possibility of not being allowed to fly home?

Fauci said he'd "like to see a dramatic diminution of the personal interaction that we see" and when asked if that meant a lockdown, he said "whatever it takes."

That's on top of any actual risk of contact with someone who is infected, knowing that people with no symptoms are spreading the virus.

From a business standpoint, even if you get the sea trial done is the deal likely to close anytime soon? A lot of deals right now being stopped at the last minute. Just ask boat builders about pending orders they had.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That's how I'm feeling at the moment... I don't fear the virus, but I do fear getting stuck somewhere. I can't run my business remotely. We're a tiny company and if I'm not there for an extended period things will stop. Not a good plan.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I do not mean my remarks to be critical of anyone's personal decision. I operate a small business as well. But I think we have all been lulled into thinking this is not so bad - I hope that's true but fear that it's not. Why would Fauci even be talking about a full lock down? He's not been prone to hyperbole in any past health crisis. Just saying. Hope everybody stays healthy
  5. olderboater

He's looking at what has and has not worked elsewhere. Italy started with one pocket in the North, locked it down but it was already spreading. Waited to lock the country down. 1441 deaths so far. South Korea tested and locked down.

Do we go region by region or state by state or nationwide? I think the next step will be to restrict domestic travel simply to leave a choice. You can't lockdown regions or states to address their issues when you're allowing travel still.

Fauci and all the medical experts are trying to express the seriousness against countries of people and their leaders who are denying it.

Fauci and other CDC personnel have made other interesting comments. They've indicated based on other countries that shutting schools down for a week or two accomplishes nothing, that you're likely talking 8 weeks to make an impression.

You look at the NBA. They have millions riding on every day and yet they started with 30 days and that's just to reexamine things. The indication is they expect at least 60 days shutdown. In fact, they've even stated that they could resume the season as late as August 1 and still get the full season in. Now, do we listen to a sports league? Yes, they've consulted with the best experts around both government and private, best money can buy. They've got every reason to want to start sooner but their sources say they won't resume in 30 days.

China took over 60 says with a lockdown. Italy hasn't yet peaked.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

And are folks going to abide by the guidelines as they are developed?? China had its enforcer drones - don't think that would be happening here. But you never know. South Korea seems to be the model with rapid widespread testing and targeted isolation?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  7. olderboater

Yes, right now, South Korea and Italy are being lined up side by side as "Do" and "Don't"
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

NYC schools just closed for at least a month. May be extended to the entire school year.
  9. olderboater

And if it is, do you make it up over the summer or what?

Every school district is scrambling. Online is the best option for some, but the weakness is online only works with those who work to try to learn. Also, even when students have tablets or chromebooks supplied by schools, many kids don't have internet access so more free WIFI needed.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Powell just held a conference call. Effective interest rate is 25 basis points/ plus massive QE. Dow futures still dropped 1200. Its all about the health crisis
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My friends and I are; Happy Crappers ..
    Dum da du dum :cool::cool::cool:
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Anybody had the flu recently? It's been 30 years since I've had it and I remember it vividly. Lost 14 lbs. in 5 days. Not fun. This one is far worse and what care you receive will be far worse as well due to the strains on our medical systems and supplies. This probably won't kill you, but the odds of you contracting it if you have contact with the public are pretty good. Then there's the thought of who might you pass it on to and what might happen to them. I saw today that Las Vegas is shut down. Times Square in NY is a ghost town. I went to the supermarket today (wearing an N-95 mask) and the shelves were bare. Those who don't take this seriously risk a lot, including what their friends and family will think of them for putting them at risk. Given all the shut downs, plus the risks, I can't think of a better or more comfortable place to be than my own home.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is just a side bar right now, and it should be only that, but I suspect it's going to be a huge crisis in a few months and one that will take a long time to recover from.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Welcome back NYCap!
  15. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

+1 NYCAP
    the ripple effect like a pebble in flat water

welcome back
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you. Being retired a few years now I have less to contribute, but I do pop in occasionally to see what's up. My concern for boater's safety hasn't changed. This is something that's real and will affect us all in ways many haven't even imagined yet. Us old guys have seen a few things like too many wars, the recession of 2008/09, the polio epidemic of the 1950s, and we're only one generation removed from the Great Depression and the Influenza pandemic of 1918/19. Things we don't want the less experienced generations to go through.
    Be well all.
  17. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I am spending a lot of time on our pilot forum as most of my 13,000 fellow aviators (that's just ONE airline) are sitting on their ass right now as the worlds air transportation system comes to a halt. We have a VERY varied group of people. Many have higher level educations in other subjects. The discussion is pretty informed and some stories are surfacing that you will NOT see on the big media channels.

Let me just say that although the statistical chance is relatively small, should you be so unlucky to not be one that has just mild symptoms, it is a very ugly and painful way to go. You basically drown in your own blood and fluids as they fill your lungs with the ventilator (if you have one) cranked up to max......

I advise all of you to do EVERYTHING you can to avoid getting this, or at least not until there is better treatment/vaccination and our hospital system is not DEFCON-5

This is not fear mongering. This is facts and figures.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

First case in Putnam county counted this morning. Travel related. Who let this guy in so late????
    Loading up the 12Gauge drums now. Anybody comes close they get new body piercings.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As of just last week the travel ban didn't apply to Ireland or the UK where certain people own resorts. You now have Americans fleeing all of Europe while they still can. Plus the incubation period I think is 24 days. So he might have traveled in February. Our leaders were busy selling their stocks while telling us it would disappear soon "like a miracle" instead of getting ahead of it. Being late to the game is going to cost us dearly. And Ralph your 12 gauge is going to be very busy. Did you see the supermarket lines? Granted I'm old and have health issues, but I go nowhere without my N-95 mask, and only go into public settings when absolutely necessary. P.S. It's hard to keep up with the numbers but I believe it was about 2 weeks ago when NY had it's first case up in New Rochelle. Now we have thousands and somewhere around 100 deaths. Here in Suffolk we had 2 cases last week. Now we have about 500 and 4 deaths. This thing is spreading with the speed of light. There can be no fear mongering. The fear is well founded despite the rosy picture some are trying to give us.
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Sorry I am so late in responding - been busy standing in line for toilet paper. Just kidding!

In the end, I cancelled my trip at the last minute. The Buyer had already flown from Caribbean to MD so the sea trial went on without me. I had told the buyer I would be there to hand hold, so my issue was my word is my word and I never go back on it. Nonetheless, with profuse apologies and personal promises that I will fly to meet him whenever he takes possession, I stayed home. Painful but smart.

Thanks to my YF friends for the concern.

Sending hugs!

Judy