Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

Domestic Voyage License?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Norseman, Apr 5, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Huh...?

Just got my 100 ton ticket back in the mail after renewal, and it says on the back:

Domestic Voyages Only....

What about all them deliveries and charters to the Bahamas and the BVI,s and other "interational" destinations.

This a new thing, or did the Coasties do a typo...?

(Previous ticket had no such restriction, and yes, I do have the FCC Marine Operator Permit so as to use the radios in International waters.)

On the other hand: I never did the STCW 1995 stuff, but got the endorsement on the ticket...By mistake probably...

Anybody else been getting strange tickets in the mail after renewal?

(No, I am not inland restricted, all my boating has been near-coastal yachts and International Merchant Marine heavy stuff)

Been using the Portland, Oregon office the last 6 years, does that explain anything?
  2. nas130

nas130 Member

Bahamas, jamaca, and some other places are considered less than 200 miles offshore, so you can be within a 200 mile radius of these places without a problem. One misconception is that your license has to be a perfect fit for the areas that you go to. As long as you do not have charter guests or are engaging in commercial activity(private yacht captain excluded) you can go where you want.

Nick
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, but 200 miles or less offshore is still International, even if it is near coastal.

My point is:

Did the Coasties change anything?
    Any new rules out there...?

Confused in Florida.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Your license should state: For domestic voyages only, the holder of this license meets STCW 95 regulations without further....

That sentence is not regarding your license, but STCW 95 requirements. You can run a vessel to a foreign port. I have yet to find a foriegn country that has said a word about not having my STCW 95. I have been in and out of the Bahamas, Mexico, Belize etc. to name a few.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay, thanks for reply.

Well, here is the whole text on the new ticket...

MASTER OF STEAM, MOTOR OR AUXILLIARY SAIL VESSEL OF NOT MORE THAN 100 GROSS TON (DOMESTIC TONNAGE) UPON NEAR COASTAL WATERS. ALSO AUTHORIZED TO ENGAGE IN COMMERCIAL ASSIST TOWING. "SEE REVERSE"

FOR DOMESTIC VOYAGES ONLY, THE HOLDER OF THIS LICENCE MEETS THE STCW 1995 REGULATIONS WITHOUT FURTHER ENDORSEMENTS

Well, there it is...(Spelling mistakes are mine)

Does the above reflect othe recent renewed tickets....?

Yeah, but can ya take paying passengers with that kind of restriction?
    Sure the foreign authorities may not care, but if something goes wrong and the USCG gets involved, would ya not be in violation?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While the STCW is a good course and should be taken. The USCG will not care if you do not have it if you get in trouble in foriegn waters. According to them you meet stcw requirements, so it is not an issue to them. STCW came about so all of these yacht training companies can make money. While it is a good idea, a 3 day class is not going to teach people very much. The only place I have seen it requested is on the megayacht scene where insurance companies will give the owner a 10% or less insurance break for having all STCW licensed crew.
  7. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

For Domestic Use Only on your license means just that. You can not use it for international voyages. My wife had this problem a couple of years ago when she renewed her license.
    Most likely you will need to add Bridge Resource Management and STCW 95 to your license to get the restriction lifted (check with the USCG or call MPT in Ft. Lauderdale).

The five day class was not an invention of the schools to make more money. The US has lagged behind in the implimentation of STCW and not required more than STCW 78 for the inland licenses. The rest of the world has been using '95 since shortly after 1996, we were just behind the curve.

Dave

PS. NO I don't work for a school
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay thanks Dave.

Have been too lazy to go after the Coast Guard on this issue as I don't drive boats for a living right now.

The funny thing is that all the sea-time I used over the last 5 years to renew my ticket was international stuff, 15 Bahamas trips or so.

The 720 days I used to get the licence in the first place was all Merchant Marine voyages on tankers and stuff, all International.

Then all of a sudden I am limited to Domestic.

Go figure.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am afraid if this is what you believe then you will probably also believe that you can sail anywhere internationally on a commercial vessel ( away from the Caribbean and Central America) whilst not holding a valid STCW 95 endorsed Certificate of Competency.

Here is an overview of what it is all about from the official government body.

http://www.stcw.org/big.html

My CoC was an STCW 78 one, I had to do a CPSC Course then I just sent it in as usual for renewal and it came back as an STCW95 one.