Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Does the Garmin AIS 600 fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by P46-Curaçao, Aug 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    YF experts, I need some advice!

I have my boat in Curacao, and when I'm there (most of the time) I go out at least twice a week, all year around...

Basically there is nearby not much to do, and therefore I mostly ride to Barbara Beach, and that takes only 15 minutes...

But, when I realy go out, I go to the West Point of Curacao (±2 hrs), Small Curacao (±1,5 hrs) or Bonaire (±3,5 hrs) it takes the hours one way, and I'm out on the Sea.

Therefore I have two Garmin GPS systems with local charts, a Garmin radar and VHF. Nothing fancy, but it's all working great, and fits my needs.

So far so good, but I'm thinking to add AIS and currently looking at a Garmin AIS 600, but after reading some documentation, I'm not completely sure that it fits my needs.

What do I want:
    1) Receive AIS signals from other boats, and have it displayed on my GPS screen.
    2) Send AIS signals, so other boats can see me on their screens
    3) Check from home, if my boat is still in the marina... and still has power (12Vdc)
    4) In case of an emergency, my (last) location can be monitored

So now I'm wondering, is the Garmin AIS 600 a good choice, or are there better options?
    s-l1600.jpg
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As in my world, Make sure your plotter will display AIS data from other boats.
    I'm just getting into a AIS program on one of my PC displays. The Older Raymarine stuff won't display it.
    Shopping for a used/newer display (cheap).
    I'm sure the Garmin unit is a good product but less there own plug & play networking, they all work the same.

One of our associate is a Garmin jobber and he loves the stuff.

I'm looking at an AIS tracking web page now for your area. There are over 100 AIS vessels between you and the gulf of V now. Over 200 vessels within a 60 radius. Busy area.

If you have some money, I do encourage any AIS system.

We do a lot of night trips off shore. We got a call once. That night, our AIS equipment equipment paid for itself.
  3. P46-Curaçao

Yep, we are in a busy area, and as far as I can see, my main GPSMAP 740s display supports AIS, but can't figure out if it works together with (overlaps) my radar...

When using radar, I use my second GPS for guidance!
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hopefully someone here on YF knows the Garmin models and can help.
    Sadly, I luv the stuff but I'm not Garmin savvy. If you don't have a Garmin jobber close to you then it's time for some 1 800 Garmin support.
    Get the model, part number and software rev on all of your equipment before the call.

Good luck, Keep us up on your findings and how the end results work.
  5. P46-Curaçao

Will do Ralph, I just want a confirmation, I have way to much unused stuff in my garage already... :cool:
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I just rented a larger garrage. Let me tell you about to much stuff.
    I still have a old Raytheon V850 with a new CRT that will blind you. I can't throw it away.
    One day someone will need some old sounders or R/O parts or A/C parts or Perko/Groko parts or transfer switches or 12 years of my wife's X-mas lights or dead bicycles or.......
  7. P46-Curaçao

...I know, I'm on an Island... there's always someone in need of something...
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Boxes and boxes of lil stuff collected thru the years.
    Have an inventory of Cat & MAN fuel filters also.
    You kids down there need any old stuff, please tap on me.

For example, I just picked up a brand new, Par (not Rule) 1750, 32 Vdc bilge pump. Half inch of dust came with it in the mail. I have a use for it on my boat, but it's an example of my inventory supporting our old Bertram.

Sorry I got into sales mode.
  9. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Yes it will work just fine with the 740S and will overlay contacts on both the radar and charts (I'm a Garmin dealer). If you're in high AIS equipped traffic areas you may find the amount of contacts overwhelming the smaller screens but it's still very useful info to have for targets. If you leave it on you can monitor the boat remotely via vessel traffic systems.
  10. P46-Curaçao

Thnx Bill106, appreciate your confirmation!!
  11. g collis

g collis Member

I have all Garmin radios, depth and plotters on my boat. I do have an 600AIS and works great. Data is displayed on my screen.
  12. P46-Curaçao

Thank you, I've already ordered one!
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Look forward to hear how it works.
    Keep us up..
    ,rc