Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross

Dockwise SuperServent 4 loadings today, many megayachts!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, Jun 11, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hey Guys,

I loaded a yacht on Super Servent 4 today and there were many megayachts loaded enroute to the med. Some of them include the Trinity's BLIND DATE and Zoom Zoom Zoom, Penny Mae, and several others. Anyways here are the pics......Most all boats loading were well over 100' and I wonder why the Trinities aren't going over on their own bottom.

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

More pics!

Attached Files:

3. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Thanks for posting the pictures. I was going to ask if the Palmer Johnson Griffin was included and your picture showed that it was.
  4. creepin

creepin New Member

Wow, those are some nice pics up close and personal on the milling around before loading...just wondering is it that much cheaper to ship it over than run on its own haul (at that size) ?
  5. captjohn22

captjohn22 Member

I cannot comment on Mega yachts, however I have loaded on SS4 three times with a 42' Henriques express fisherman . Twice from Newport RI to St. Thomas and once this spring from St Thomas to FT. Lauderdale.
    I did run her on her own bottom from Palmas del Mar PR. To Barnegat Light, NJ Our home port so I have a good idea of the costs.
    If you pay in full far enough in advance to get all of the discounts they offer the cost of going south is near equal if you do not have head sea issues. If you have to sit in the Bahamas or DR waiting for a weather window for a week or two the costs will add up. Comming north in the sprng I beat the cost of getting back to Newport, but it did add about 90 hrs to the engines. Going to Ft Lauderdale made the trip more expensive when you add is hotels and airfare but we saved 50 hrs. Our boat was up for sale when the boss decided to ship since we had the most hours of any Henriques 42 on the market.
    Now Mega Yachts can have their crew stay on board for the trip so there would be considerable savings over flying the crew to Europe and putting them up in a hotel waiting for the ship to arrive. Plus they can do maintance while in route and save a boat load of hours. Sorry for the pun.
    DYT is a first class operation.
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

John,
    Last I heard you can't have the whole crew stay on board. You have to get permission to allow one or two to ride along. Crew typically take vacation when the yacht is on transit then meet the yacht all refreshed. Maintenance can be done but have a list ahead of time and check with DYT.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I remember back in the day about a decade ago a couple of megayachts did bottom jobs while in transit on dockwise.....after a few years they decided to limit the type of maintanence you can do while on the ship.......
  8. captjohn22

captjohn22 Member

That is right. How would you like to be blocked next to those boats while they spread bottom paint all over.
    But Dockwise is very straight forward about their do's and don'ts. If you are thinking about a trip call them and explain what you have in mind for intransit maintance and they will tell you if it is OK.
  9. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Dockwise has a pretty comprehensive website that helps you get your vessel ready for shipment as well as what can be expected during transit. Meals are provided since just it appears all types of food are prohibited on your vessel. As you noted, if you have any questions you should contact Dockwise.