Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Cross

Dockmate, Yacht Controller, etc.....

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gratitude, Feb 19, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Just take this FWIW, but it's something I learnt from an engineer involved in the development of these devices for industrial applications - hence arguably even more critical than for pleasure boating.
    There are very safe ways to avoid the receiver doing something different from what the person with the transmitter meant to do - at least with a well designed device built with quality components and embedded redundancies, as the YC is.
    This is the good news, and the reason why there are wireless devices rated for critical industrial applications: accidents due to the fact that a heavy crane operator sent a "lift" command with the transmitter, and the crane actually lowered its load instead, are unheard of. But, there are no ways known to mankind to be always 100% sure that the received DOES understand the signal sent by the transmitter, and acts accordingly.

In other words, it can happen that a crane receiver does not get a clean signal due to some interferences, and the only logical behaviour that the engineers can program in these devices for handling this occurrence is that the crane does nothing at all and remains in the same status.
    In fact, even if I don't think it's specified in the instructions of the boat devices which are being discussed, that's exactly how they also work.
    Bottom line, if you are reversing into your berth, there is ALWAYS the possibility - unlikely as it can be - that in the very moment when you want to engage the fwd gear to stop the boat, due to some interferences, the receiver doesn't get a clean signal and therefore does nothing at all.
    Which of course can be as critical as doing something else, depending on the situation.

Now, as the old saying goes, you pay your money and make your choice.
    If a wireless remote would be essential, I would probably have one, rather than give up boating.
    But since it isn't, I'm happy to live with my fully mechanical engines, whose governors and gearboxes are only controlled by mechanical cables.
    And mind, since I'm boating in the Med, 99% of my moorings are stern to, so operating the boat from the cockpit would probably be more handy for myself than for most of you folks, generally speaking.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And keep this in mind, people experience malfunctions with wired systems. Well designed wireless systems are showing themselves to be as reliable as wired and, in some cases, more so. This is especially true in the wet, salt environment of a boat. We've had wireless controllers on three boats and experienced zero problems so far. I'm not saying we will never experience an issue, but I'm not saying wire wired stations that is guaranteed either. We're comfortable, you're not.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Well, on all my boats engine controls have never been wired either - just mechanical.
    But that's irrelevant, also because no modern boat runs on mechanical engines/throttles.
    And in the worst case, also steel cables can break, by the way.

Back to the point, it isn't "only" a matter of failure/malfunctions.
    I agree that both wired and wireless remotes are electronic devices, and as such they can go wrong, exactly in the same way: also with wireless units, the receiver box is as exposed to wet and salt environment as wired boxes.
    But well designed & assembled units, built with quality components, are pretty reliable these days.
    Anyone who doesn't trust them at all, should never board any jetliner, for instance.

The problem with wireless remotes is that they can stop working also without failing, for reasons totally outside their own control and with no advance warning - depending on external buildings, other boats around you, whatever.
    Rare, of course, but it can and does happen.

Anyway, it's not like not having a YC or whatever restricts my boating in any manner.
    Coming to think of it, the additional effort required by having no remote (which is no big deal anyhow) is a sort of win-win:
    On one hand, it rules out the risk of hitting the dock because the remote stops responding at the wrong moment.
    But most importantly, I can invest the money saved for much better purposes, like a selection of good bottles for my cellar rack... :)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  4. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Thank you all for the feedback, I have ordered a Dockmate with twist to be installed by Yacht Tech. Installation will be relatively soon, although the stern thruster won’t be installed until a yard period in May. At that point, it will be hooked up to the Dockmate. After that, I may do a shakedown cruise to the Keys before going up to Maine. As Ft Lauderdale is on the way, anyone in FLL is welcome to try it out.
    Best,
    Maldwin
    mike Hartley likes this.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Good luck.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They'll have to reprogram ALL of the settings in the joystick again, once you install the stern thruster. After spending 3 entire days off of the dock doing this with a ZF joystick, I would advise you to install the stern thruster first then the dockmate twist, or at least get a quote of what it's going to cost to reprogram ALL of the twist parameters again once you install a stern thruster.
  7. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Maldwin--curious how you like your Dockmate. I'm going through the process of trying to decide between it and the Yacht Controller, since I think one of these will make picking up a mooring in Avalon Harbor (Catalina Island) much easier to do singlehanded.

One recent comparison of the two units puts the Dockmate slightly ahead, but also hints that the captains involved may have been swayed by the fact that the Dockmate rep was present during the testing and the YC rep wasn't.
  8. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

So far, I am very happy, but have not used the boat I have put it on due to the fact she has been in refit most of this year. I plan on taking the boat to Maine from Florida and back this Summer, so should have a ,pre complete answer by this Fall.
  9. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

I have had Yacht Controller for several years. Installed it when I purchased this boat.

My motivation was a visibility issue. At the helm I cannot see the swim platform or the sides of the boat. If the boat had cockpit docking controls I probably would not have purchased Yacht Controller.

If I went in the same slip all the time could use other visual cues, but we cruise a lot and are in different slips, tie ups on a regular basis.

My remote provides me with control of transmissions and thruster through toggle paddles.

It has performed the task I bought it for without question and I have been very happy with the $'s spent.

There are limitations:

No control of throttles or rudders. There are docking situations where application of throttle, or sometimes swinging a rudder to get an extra push on the stern - have to be at the helm.

It is easy to get disoriented. Holding the unit in your hand, then turning and facing a different location takes some adjustment to not take an action that is the reverse. Different than facing backwards with shifters - at least for me.

It does not reduce the basic skills required to dock a twin engine boat, technique is the same. It does allow the captain to move at will based on the activity and the area of concern to watch.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks God for that.
    I heard VHF calls to the marina where an arriving boat asked to send a couple of RIBs out to help pushing the boat in her berth, the reason being that the IPS joystick stopped working (which is typically a matter of when rather than if), and the helmsman had no clue about how to maneuver with the levers alone.
    I kid you not.
  11. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

I am not a fan of either IPS or Zeus in its current form for a variety of reasons, a big one is reliability.

We did do a bare boat charter right before Covid on a express cruiser that had IPS, wow the ease to do some maneuvers was astounding. I also sat with a friend recently and he recounted his experience with owning a new boat with IPS - that more than offset the diagonal move capability in strong wind.

All that said, my Yacht Controller has nothing to do with "joy stick" swiveling pods. It is simply a mobile remote control for shifting transmissions in a standard twin engine boat.
  12. olderboater

I'm going to post a bit of an update on this subject. There are three major players in this field that I am aware of.

Yacht Group sells Yacht Controller and quite a few other products and six different remotes.

Dockmate focuses on remote controllers but sells four different remote controls.

Xenta sells a full line of control products and the wireless X-RC is just one.

They are all three pushing the others to add features and the units one may have used in years past are not even close to what is available today. Some have joysticks and some don't but all three companies offer joysticks.

I have used Yacht Controller for 8 years and remain very impressed with functionality and with quality. We put over 10,000 nm on a boat with Xenta and were in and out of docks constantly plus in various challenging areas. I'm fully confident Dockmate would compare with them both although for a larger boat, Yacht Controller is more proven than the others. Each is also doing other interesting things. For instance, Yacht Controller now a relationship with ZF. Xenta integrates now with Garmin's autopilot.

Now I currently see Dockmate as an add-on type item as they don't have their own command unit for the main helm or thrusters or joystick for the helm like Yacht Controller. They don't sell spotlights and thermal imaging cameras and graphics either. That might be an advantage if on a new build and wanting an integrated system, but for an existing boat, Dockmate's single purpose and focus might be a plus. Xenta is between the two but doesn't focus just on the remote. Xenta offers a control system, a docking system, a steering system, a dynamic positioning system, and a remote control system.

The functionality varies widely within products offered by any of the manufacturers and certainly by year of purchase.

All of these incorporate the same basic techniques and systems you're use to. A couple of specific items I'll discuss though. Joysticks, first. These come with or without. We also have joysticks at our helms. If joysticks are properly programmed, they can make docking so much easier. I once hated joysticks for anything from video games on. It's because I wasn't accustomed to them or good at the techniques. However, a properly programmed joystick can access my throttles and both sets of thrusters quicker than I can and can do it in the right proportion easily. I can do a side walk well, but not as well as they and sure can't hold against a lock wall or dock side without thought like they can. Second, dynamic positioning. All of these offer it but only if installed at main command. You wait regularly for bridge openings and you'll love it. We remember using ours at the Macy's Fourth of July Parade as we were in the harbor. Rules require staying in position and no anchoring. I saw other captains working so hard and ours doing so little work.

There are new features too. Some are small. For instance, I'm not awestruck by Dockmate having a horn on the remote.

They've all added features to ease throttle and others to give quick boosts. Different units work differently with proportional thrusters.

I still tend to favor Yacht Controller based on number of installations, but Dockmate is developing a following and I'd lean toward them for adding to an existing boat. Meanwhile I've been very impressed by Xenta, although I personally like their remote the least of the three. Not it's functionality, but it's design.

If looking, I'd encourage anyone to get into the details.
    LuvBigBoats likes this.
  13. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Thanks for the detail.

Mine would be on an existing boat, and I'm leaning toward Dockmate if for no other reason than the electrician who's been doing work on my boat since purchase is an authorized Dockmate installer and I like to be able to minimize the number of people working on the boat.

The horn thing does seem a bit gimmicky, though I suppose it could come in handy.

Seems like the most crucial aspect with a joystick is proper programming. Also I'm still not 100% sure how the throttle controls work (Dockmate seems to have throttle control) when using the joystick, but will try to find out.
  14. Gradynorm

Gradynorm New Member

Just to add a little, just had a dock mate installed on my 65 Outer reef. Works really well has just a couple of kinks I need to work out with dock mate installer that anyone considering should be cautious of when considering. My boat has an older analog control bow thruster from ABT. (Hydraulic and simply "bang-bang" on off not proportional). Also has glendenning electronic controls. Turns out the unit was first installed below the helm in the pilot house tying in horn/thruster/glendenning. I normally dock from the flybridge but can't see back, hence the dock mate. what we did learn at sea trial today was you can switch throttle/glendenning control at any of the three stations to and from the dock mate BUT if you take control of the bow thruster from anywhere other than where it was tied in on install (in this case in pilothouse) you no longer can take bow thruster on the dock mate unless you set the install point back to master first. Not great for me who would only run between the flybridge helm and dock mate unit so next week they need to move install from pilot house to below the flybridge. Should have been told up front and luckily I was away from dock where I learned this on the fly.
  15. olderboater

Your situation shows how critical the installer and the install are.
  16. EShipp

EShipp New Member

Have used a Yacht Controller on a Sunseeker Predator 68. You absolutely cannot see the stern of the boat from the helm - a bad situation when backing into a slip. The YC has been dead-nuts reliable for 5 years.
    It allows single handed, and short handed safe operation of the boat.

On costs - the price Sunseeker charges for a cockpit remote helm is the same as a Yacht Controller. We deleted the cockpit station and opted for the Yacht Controller- never regretted the decision.
  17. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Having in mind how ad additional helm station is built, vs. how the YC and its components are, I'm surprised that S/skr don't ask twice whatever amount you paid for the YC - if not more.
    I appreciate that YC is convenient, and if you never regretted the decision, good for you, but be careful.
    One fault at the wrong moment is all it takes to regret it for good.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don’t get it. on these express style predators you have clear sight lines from the helm to the stern. Backing in from the helm is straightforward then you walk to your lines.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's really not. The stern/swim platform is much lower than stern and distances are decieving. Can't really judge distance on your port side as you are low compared to the side windows.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You don’t have to actually see the platform corner to know where it is. On my 53 from the lower helm I can’t see platform at all either or even the starboard aft deck corner due to the galley and fridge. I know that if my port corner if within a foot of the piling backing in I will have another 12-18” clearance in the other side. No need to see it. If the slip is narrow (under 2’ clearance combined ) then yes it s little tricky