Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Do you own an SUV, and do you like it?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Blue Ghost, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    So I'm thinking of either getting a truck or an SUV to haul around camera gear and other stuff. I'm leaning towards a pickup, but was wondering if anybody here could give an honest non "fanboy" opinion on their experience with SUVs.

Thanks much for any reply.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It depends on how and where you are going to use it. Here in Sweden we have snow in the winter and a pickup is not the best for sensitive gear. I have a G500 that can take me anywhere in comfort, here I was on a 7.000 km roundtrip to southern France...

g500or5.jpg
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I own a Yacht Management business and prefer an SUV over a truck. Climbing in and out of the bed of a truck is a pain in the rear. Not to mention then you have to figure out how to keep your stuff secure and dry. Which is why I'd recommend an SUV.

I've had 4 Ford Expeditions in a row, 2000, 2003, 2005 and a 2008 (which I've had since new and still have.) The third row seat folds flat into the floor, the second row folds almost flat for even more cargo storage. I prefer an SUV over a truck because everything is locked up, out of the rain, and at waist level. The Ford expedition drives nice. I have 92k miles on it and no major problems in 9 years. Replaced an a/c blower motor, both front window regulators and the heater core hoses. But it has good visibility, drives nice etc.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Two Ford Explorers (1992 & 1996); one alternator around 90,000 miles.
    One Ford Expedition (2000); one alternator around 120,000 miles.
    One Ford F250 (2012); Side mirror failed, DEF sensor and EGT sensors failed. 80,000 miles. EGT covered by Ford after warranty.

I'm in the fanboy category for Ford trucks. They have been reliable vehicles that wear well.

Like you, I'm also in the market for an SUV...

I've always liked the 4-runner; specifically the pull out tray in the rear cargo area, but gas mileage was never good on these vehicles and the recent facelift is reminiscent of the alien in Predator.

Just for fun, I test drove the new Range Rover Sport. Wicked fast SUV, but the transmission failed during the test drive, which pretty much confirms everything I've ever heard about this brand.

I will NOT under any circumstances - short of a poke in the eye with a hot fork - buy a Mercedes-Benz again. The last one tried to kill me.

I will NOT consider anything under the VW umbrella. You cheat, you pay! That said, I like the Porsche Macan the most of any SUV, but after owning a 928S and a 930 Turbo in the 80's, it would be cerebral suicide to expect the brand is more reliable in the post-analogue age.

If it weren't for the possibility of towing a small center console in the future, I like the Acura RDX which comes with a V-6 now getting nearly 30 mpg on the highway. Downside is a tow capacity of 1500lbs and a premium price for basically a Honda CR-V platform.

I recently test drove a new Honda Pilot. A nice vehicle but it feels like a mini-van to me. Also noticed road noise in the cabin (typical for Honda)

I haven't had a chance for a test drive yet, but I'd like to look at the Toyota Highlander next.
  5. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I've got a Porsche Macan turbo and a 981 Spyder. Both are extremely reliable, more so than any other brand I've come across.

The Macan is just about the best handling car in the snow I've ever driven. In the summer, I rarely drive it. I prefer the little Spyder. If you are looking for performance in an SUV, I don't know one that can match the Macan turbo.

I'm s fan of Porsche for the reliability, luxury and performance. My dealer is excellent too. I did like the Acura MDX when I test drove one.

I'll admit to being a Porsche fan. I've had 9 911's. I tried Mercedes, BMW. It found service and reliability to be less than I got from Porsche. I've also considered a pickup as a winter car instead of the Macan. Maybe in a few years.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Did you ever see Nick Murray's Porsche 911 experience...?

7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just back from 13 hour ride in a later Toyota land Cruiser (not mine). Very nice and quiet.

We are currently on Suburban #6. The last 3500 with large block gas and dual A/C.
    Da wife drives Burb 6
    I have worked out of 1 Dodge van, 7 GMC/Chevys
    I'm currently working from van 8.

Burb 6, 260,000 miles, electric mirrors are dead. A/C compressor replaced last year. Steering box a lil loose. NO mpg to brag on but it pulls like an ox well at any speed.

Van 8 is a high top conversion. Short of a box van, I removed the back bench and mid high backed seats.
    I can access my cart, equipment, tools and parts from the back and side doors. When I have to, I can near stand up in it because of the high top.
    160000 miles, faded paint on the glass high top. MPG still sux but I'm happy. Rides nicer than Burb 6.
    It does not look like a commercial van and I'm allowed closer access to the docks when I work different marinas.
    Just bought a starter and battery.

Of course, all of these eat tires and brakes as everything does. nothing out of the ordinary.

Yes, we lean to GM trucks and vans slightly more than others.
  8. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I'd be pretty pissed if I was nick there. I do believe the dealership can make or break a situation like this. I had a BMW X5 that was like this. The dealership and BMW didn't get the problems fixed, I went back to Porsche.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

I have five SUV's ...don't even own a regular car anymore.

Two wheel drive Expedition and Grand Cherokee both that I can use like a pickup truck. I'll throw anything in them and I like the fact that I can lock it versus an open bed ...325K on the Expedition ...over 100K on the last set of tires ...and even more miles since it's had a brake job (my wife and daughters don't drive it).

All wheel drive sportier models X5, X3, and Discovery which I don't throw junk in.

I've had pickups for business but never drove them as my personal vehicle.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I got wife 1 a Grand Cherokee (when I had wife 1). I loved that rig.
    She kept it for years after me.
    I should of included that in our separation dealings but had just picked up Burb 4 (my first 3/4 ton) near the same time.

Any Pick-up I have had was purchased for short dirty jobs or contracts and usually junked when the project was completed.
    My fav was a long ford with 5 speed & 300ci straight 6. Not fast but another great puller. Glad it had 2 gas tanks.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Current generation 4Runner here... been getting about 13.0L/100km or better before it snowed. Now that it's freakin' cold every morning and I need the truck to warm up before driving (plus playing in the snow in 4HI all weekend) I'm getting 14-14.5L/100km.

The front bumper look kinda' grows on your after a few months.
  12. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards a Toyota or BMW, but thought of maybe just picking up an old RAM 200 or something. Around here the BMW, Porches and Toyotas seem to be the favs. It'll have to serve as an everyday vehicle too in addition to contract work, which is why I'm leaning against a pickup.

Thanks again!
  13. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

On our third Suburban (first was stolen)... we've had smaller SUVs before that (Suzuki SJ, Isuzu Trooper)... and wifey's ride has morphed from T-Bird to CTS Wagon to (recently) Grand Cherokee. I've also had a couple of pick-ups and we tried a van conversion once...

The SUVs seem to be more compatible with the kind of stuff I'm likely to carry. The pick-ups were great for hauling mulch and tools around the property (and the extended-cab one was slightly better for pax), but after Spring that we'd put the cap back over the bed for dryer storage... and that configuration tends slightly closer to SUV than truck. The van conversion was decent, but a bit much for garage parking.

With the SUVs, we can configure the inside however necessary -- pax or stuff -- and generally with a wide range of options (wider in the Suburban). Keeping stuff dry is most useful, and probably temperature control is similarly important with some stuff.

-Chris
  14. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

I really like my Suburban and have since she was new in 2005. It's got 290,000 on the odometer now and nothing but normal maintenance. She's hauled a lot of lumber, kids and hockey gear and more than a few boats. I've decided since they dropped the model I'm going to just keep her and rebuild as necessary as things fail. DSCF1035 (640x360).jpg
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok, we have a Mercedes SUV simply as it met our needs since our primary cars are let's say size disadvantaged. It's four years old and has only around 16000 miles on it. We maintain it very well and we've had no problems with it. We like the ride and luxury of it, so like it, but as to recommending it we don't feel strongly one way or the other.

However, going to the other end of the price scale. We own 6 Hyundai Sante Fe's. They are all less than 5 years old and low mileage. I very much endorse them. They're an excellent combination of utility and quality drive and ride. They have been trouble free, have excellent warranties, and we've not had to spend any money on them. They're an excellent combination of space and carrying ability while still handling and driving like a comfortable car. We are, and all those they are assigned to for us, very pleased with them. When it comes to accessories and equipment, Hyundai is very much keeping up with others in the market and ahead of many. So, a strong endorsement as a practical moderately priced SUV.

I've never owned a pickup truck and for any uses we have see them as terribly impractical.
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I will say one thing about "liking" the 4Runner:

While I very much enjoy never having to worry about ground clearance, curbs, unmaintained roads, bumps, ruts, ditches, etc. I do regret not being able to keep the WRX as a purely 'fun' car. I very much miss heel-toe downshifts, diving hard into a curve, power oversteer, getting the brakes hot enough to smell... all that fun stuff that an SUV can't ever really do properly.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"to haul around camera gear and other stuff."
    The cameras and other stuff may not like the bouncing around.
  18. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

Gears usually packed in custom made foam lined cases. They're kind of light for what they are, but kind of bulky and not easy to carry a lot of the time.
  19. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Ref Suburban: "Dropped the model..." ??

Is that an Avalanche -- not a Suburban -- in your pic?

-Chris
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Oh no, I'm afraid of what's coming next: CarForums.com!!! :eek: