Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Perko

Do I need to get a service to my MAN 1100 every year?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SerkanS, Dec 31, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SerkanS

SerkanS New Member

Dear All,
    I do have a 75-foot boat with dual 1991 MAN 1100 D2842 LZE.
    Machines are at 2600 hours in total and I am using about 100 hours every season and keep my boat on the ground for 5 months.
    I was wondering if I need to call the service every year for such low usage? May I get some ideas about what needs to be done a minimum every year?

Thanks,
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have the MAN mechanciCal 820 hp 10 cylinders. I do the 1000 hr service every 3 years usually. MAN wants it done every 2 years or 1000 hours whichever comes first. If you are storing your engines with a fresh water flush then I think that will help greatly with the heat exchanger which I understand can be subject to corrosion if not disassembled every 2-3 years. If you have not had the valves adjusted in the last 2-3 years I would have that done. I would also have the injectors pop tested and replaced if needed. For some reason every time I do the 1000 hr service there are 2-3 injectors that aren’t spraying right, so I just replace all of them every 2-3 years. As for annual service for low hr usage I would change the oil and maybe a new impeller in the spring assuming all of the other items mentioned above have been done. Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert but a MAN owner for the last 10 years. Also might want to look at your turbos. I had mine blueprinted and noticed significantly higher boost and lower EGTs.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have the 820 also - they are long out of warranty. So I don't follow Mans recommended schedule. It a schedule designed in favor of the manufacture - injectors every 2 years whether they are bad or not is a bit much IMO. I do repairs now as needed depending on the symptom, eg smoke, rising water temp, losing oil to name a few possibles.

My engines have been excellent to me! After warranty, I do the ordinary fluid changes, clean my air seps , change the impellers regularly, look at the belts. After 2000 hours and 19 years they run magnificently.

The Post 50 and the 820's are a perfect match. 1850rpm I'm moving along at 28 knots effortlessly.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Just as you stated, when the engines are out of warranty you can service them however you like, whatever fits your boating style.
    Condition based maintenance is the buzz word of the future, adjust the preventative maintenance to your own operating hours.
  5. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

The condition based maintenance is in the heavy equipment world right now. Sample oil and change when indicated. What are your thoughts on this? It is more environmentally friendly and less costly as well.

The reason I do the service every 3 years even though out of warrenty is it is my understanding that you run the risk of ruining the very expensive heat exchanger if you dont take apart and lube every 2-3 years.
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Right now the engine manufacturers have preventative maintenance schedules based on predicted load profiles and predicted time between overhauls. They measure this with either fuel consumed or hours operated.

With big data in the works, the analytic programs are coming where everything will move to conditioned based preventative maintenance events. The analytical software just has to catch up to the volume of big data, maybe another year away although it will hit the commercial marine markets before the recreational marine markets.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On the other hand;
    Baby the heck out of them. Oil labs, oil changes, new impellers, new zincs every year.
    Check everything thoroughly every chance you get. This is cheap insurance.
    Stay on top of the heat exchangers at least every 2 no more than 3 years.
    It's a heck of an investment down there.
    Record every operating value and at any change, investigate it completely.
    Have all your crew watch for the colors of the exhaust when you start up. Any blue should be a big flag.
    Watch for dark when running. Another big flag.
    @1100hp, I assume CR1100. There should never be any smoke less some steam on cold mornings.
  8. SerkanS

SerkanS New Member

Thank you for the great comment. My captain advised me to get the valves adjusted, and check the injectors as well. But I was not sure. Somebody told me if I were happy, not to get it touched. I will double check and probably get them adjusted then.
    Any ideas what would be the fair cost for these adjustments? Also any ideas of the price of a new injectors?

Thanks
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Why do you say that? Mans are very robust - they need no more attention than any other quality engine. The items you point to are normal for all engines?

I check the valve lash about every 2 years.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My whole comment;
    Baby the heck out of them. Oil labs, oil changes, new impellers, new zincs every year.
    Check everything thoroughly every chance you get. This is cheap insurance.

Do you trust year old impellers? Do you let your oil sit (off season) and not change it?
    No oil labs ever pulled as a diagnostic tool?
    As all the exhaust, cooling and zinc threads in YF, You don't check your zincs every year?
    You don't check fluids, belts and a good visual before every trip?

Why would not these items be considered cheap insurance against some failure?
    What would a new MAN V-block cost vs these above services?

Now, re-read the O P;
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

For us, it's simple. We follow manufacturer's recommendations at a minimum and often do more and this is true whether under warranty or not. Might we be spending more than necessary? Yes. But far more likely we're saving in the long term by avoiding major and untimely work.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A+
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capt

Isn't that what I wrote?? Your comments are not what I considering "babying" an engine - they are just normal maintenance. NOW, RE-READ MY POST. BTW Mans only have a single zinc in the oil cooler are far as I know, so your generic advice may have the OP looking for something that's not there. He asked about Mans. Mans don't want to be babied, they want to run!

Old boater.

I understand what you need to do for your customers as a contractor, but I'm not changing 20 fuel injectors every 2 years if they aren't malfunctioning once I'm out of warranty.. Do you know of any other manufacturer that recommends such a severe interval? I'm being specific to Mans, not generic - Man manual says "replace" not check. 21 year old engine and they roar like the beasts they are.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bu Bu Bu But Beau
    I answered the O P.
    He wanted to find shorter (cheaper) maintenance routine. Have no idea what routines he has been following.
    If you find something wrong or miss leading in my baby your engine comment, I'm sorry.
    I can guess some are thinking 100 hours/year does not need yearly maintenance. I further believe that is wrong.

TD clutch oil coolers may have another zinc.
    Who knows about his gen set(s) but baby them also.

I think O B understands what I'm typing.

I am inclined NOT to pull the injectors every 2 years either. That's where you could be kicking a sleeping dawg.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

#10 was to me? Why would I kick a wonderful dawg like you.... Look forward to another year of learning from all you guys/gals
  16. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Food for thought - The commercial guys, especially tugs, are going conditioned based maintenance and they are succefully increasing their TBO’s over book or published values. This makes sense for fleet operators who are managing their costs while still protecting their investments.
    It will trickle down to the recreational boater eventually, although those with deep pockets will usually stick to published maintenance schedules as a type of “hedge fund”. Not absolutely necessary, but nice to have if you can swing it :)
  17. olderboater

I have no customers, just extended family and our own boats. I know nothing about a 21 year old MAN, but a lot about recent ones and we do and will continue to follow the manual for those. The only thing now that gets changed on a two year schedule is both valve caps on the expansion tank. One thing you might argue with is changing all hoses on a four year basis but we do it. There is currently no schedule for checking or changing the injectors on MAN common rail. As I don't have a manual for a 21 year old MAN, I'd be very interested in seeing one. Searching online but no luck so far.
  18. olderboater

19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

OB

For some reason I thought you were in the business. You sure are knowledgeable! I'll locate my manual and email it to you. I have no experience with the CR's and don't know their schedules. The OP said his was a 1991 so I suspect his is mechanical like mine. Let me confirm that I am an ardent believer in regular and thorough maintenance, it's just that some of Mans requirements on the 820's, as I understand them, are singular - not all but some.

I also misunderstood the Capt's post about "babying" I thought he was referring to light throttles. My 820's will almost put themselves at 1850 rpm, if I don't.

Cheers to you and your crew!
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When you run commercial equipment, it' usually de-rated to continuous commercial ratings. Not the high HP for pleasure use. Further, the oil, coolant, and engine logs are closely sampled and recorded frequently. The hours dictate a different service interval and hard to compare to pleasure use ratios or service schedules.
    But, we can learn from these severe work maintenance intervals some.
    Lab samples are important. When in doubt, lab it...

Sadly, the recreational use is between extreme HP draw to poorly used. 100 hours a year can not draw away the condensation away from inside the block. An issue the work boat has no fear of.
    Impellers sitting and forming a hard set in shape. Other sitting issues also take a different service out look.
    Back to my quote; It's an investment down there, Baby the heck out of them.