Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

do i need ro-ro passenger?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by iulia_ungureanu, Feb 7, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hi,

can anybody tell me, please, if i need ro-ro passenger to work as stewardess on a 52 m commercial vessel (only charters), or it s enough to have STCW '95?

Thank you very much,
    iulia
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to YF.

What is ro ro passenger?

To sign on you would legally need your STCW 95 Basic Training other than that I do not know of any commercial sector certs for stewardesses although soke of the yachting training centres offer some courses aimed at the steward and stewardesses.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

For the complete reference please look at MCA MGN 95 (M) for the red flag crowd or Section A-V/3 of the STCW Code for Passenger Ships Other Than Ro-Ro Passenger Vessels for the rest of the world.

The short answer is no. yachts are getting bigger all the time but as far as I know there still aren't any RoRo yachts. There are a few LoLo yachts but that is stretching things a bit.

For the nautically challenged, a RoRo is a roll-on roll-off vessel, a car carrier is a RoRo. A large passenger ferry that also has a car deck is a Passenger RoRo.

There is a separate certification for personnel serving on passenger vessels (which yachts are not unless they carry more than 12 pax and the certificate says they are) who have duties which may lead to them having to take control of passengers during an evacuation. That certification is for crowd management, sometimes called "crowd and crisis" or "crisis management and human behavior." and even if not required is an excellent course for those who need to know how to manage guests during an emergency ... that means everyone on a yacht.
  4. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

What is a LoLo yacht?
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

LoLo yacht, that was sort of a joke ... a LoLo vessel is a "Lift On - Lift Off" ship, the standard break bulk type vessel with cargo gear that represents what most people call a freighter.

But there are always exceptions to the rule and a good example was posted on this forum by "superyachtie" on 10/17/2005 and showed a car being lifted off Alumerica by its crane. That was a LoLo operation.

Here is a picture of a NQRoFE (Not-Quite-Rolled-On-Far-Enough) operation.
    http://www.uitlaadklep.nl/images/car-crashes-into-boat-weird-crash-pictures.jpg

And there is always the Roll Off Swim Away option as illustrated by:
    http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/5085...35F8FA9CA92A6684C76760529E06578A0E721FD50B7AE
  6. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

That's good stuff there!