Click for Stats Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Oceanco Click for Westport

Diesel motor-yacht Endymion of 1924, Camper & Nicholson

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Manusel, Apr 17, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Manusel

Manusel Member

I can only find this one poor image of the MY Endymion. She was 138' long LOA and belonged originally to Sir Herbert Samuelson who was the first post WWI governor of British Palestine among other things. By 1939 she belonged to Dutch interests and was named Gaviota. It's likely she was requisitioned by the Axis in WWII and probably was sunk by the Allies. I would appreciate any info on this vessel and would love a good picture or two posted if any exist. Endymion among others.PNG
  2. Rupert Maas

Rupert Maas New Member

We have an album of many photos of her in the 40s I think she ended up in S America owned by Arturo Lopez as Gaviota (he had several Gaviotas)
    Rupert Maas
    Maas Gallery
  3. Rupert Maas

Rupert Maas New Member

But I'm rubbish at the tech so can't upload photos
  4. Manusel

Manusel Member

May I send you a private message with my personal e-mail, so you can send them directly to me? Then I will post them here.
  5. Manusel

Manusel Member

Since my original post I have found a few more photos of her. Let me try to post them.

Attached Files:

6. Manusel

Manusel Member

Here's another

Attached Files:

7. Manusel

Manusel Member

Here's an artwork by Luca Papaluca.

Attached Files:

8. Manusel

Manusel Member

Referring back to the Brightlingsea photo at the top of this thread, I have never seen a photo of the "SY Karen" which is to the right of Endymion. She was built in 1923 by Camper & Nicholson and looks very similar. She is nowhere to be found in the 1939 Lloyd's Register Of Yachts. She is listed in the 1931 Lloyd's. I am thinking she must have met an early demise. If anyone knows anything of the fate of "Karen" I would be most appreciative to know. By the way, she had oil engines and was not a steam yacht.