Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

DIESEL FUEL TANK LEAK

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Mike Michaels, May 17, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I have a pair of aluminum 300 gal fuel tanks in the engine room of my Bertram 54. They deserve closer inspection. I have observed only minor corrosion in the past. I sprayed them with corrosion block.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Corrosion usually starts from the inside out, at the bottom from water accumulating at the bottom. Or from the outside if the tank ate set on plywood.

I hate alum diesel tanks, most are a ticking time bomb
  3. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

I know I’m late to the party on this thread but have related question. I have twin aluminum tanks in my 2000 450 voyager. No leaks a little dusty on top as they are quite close to deck above. I keep tanks relatively full, with additive to help keep diesel clean. No inspection port so do I just wait for leak to develop or can I be proactive to extend tanks life?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There's not much you can do to extend the tanks life short of rinsing any salt off of the outside and keeping good o-rings on your fuel fill caps to prevent water inside of them.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ensure the bottoms of the tanks stay dry also. Water can collect behind and under the tank and start eating them up from the outside.