Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Diesel engine longevity

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Smiley0514, May 24, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

WTF? is this some kind of new math?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No because it is designed to see 70% load at a much higher rpm, than it is currently seeing on 1 engine that matches it's torque/hp curve. The boat is propped to achieve top rated rpm's and load using both engines, not just 1 of them.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I am not an engineer, nor do I even have an abilities in that direction. But based upon my real experiences of having to run on one engine over a distance, I would never push the throttle to 1700 rpms. Aside from the increased temperatures I saw at lower rpms, I'd have to put my rudders so far over it would be like pulling a barge
  4. Mark I

Mark I Member

Ran back from Atlantic City to LI on one. I ran at about 1200 and didn't see any variations in normal readings (Detroit 6-71s).

IMO a little different running on one by choice and if you have to. When you have to, you worry about losing the one that works.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It ain't that bad just look at the non runner as a large pile of spare parts