Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

detroit engine GM 617RA

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Luciano, Feb 2, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Luciano

Luciano New Member

Does anybody have technical information/details about detroit diesel engines type GM 617RA - 150 hp? Please reply. Thanks. Luciano
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Are you sure you have the correct model designation there?

I have never encountered a DD with 17 Cu In Cylinders and would be surprised if one with cylinders that size could knock out 150hp when the old 6 71's in trucks used to knock out around 180 hp.
  3. Luciano

Luciano New Member

Maybe the correct type is GM 6 7RA built in 1980 of 150hp.
    Does it sound better?
    KR. Luciano
  4. Luciano

Luciano New Member

Maybe the correct type is GM 6 7RA built in 1980 of 150hp.
    Does it sound better?
    KR. Luciano
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would say it is more likely a 6-71NA with smaller injectors.
  6. Luciano

Luciano New Member

The serail numbers can help you? 4A245173 and 4A245188
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The '4A' would designate your engines as 4-71s, in other words, inline-fours, which would help explain the low HP number you suggest.

As these non-turbo engines utilized a roots blower, I'd take a (wild) guess that the 'RA' might refer to an aftercooler between the blower and the engine.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Can you post a photo of these engines?
  9. Brooke's Buddy

Brooke's Buddy New Member

On a QUAD unit "RA" & "RC" engines are right hand rotation, "LA" & "LC" are left hand rotation. Would love to see photos of your engines also.
  10. vampire13

vampire13 Guest

Detroit engines

Sorry to contradict... RA menas the model of the engine... DETROITs are the only engines wich come to be assambled in any configuration.. this means that all accs can be mounted in mirror position to one existin engine... and this positions do not implie the engines Cranckshaft rotation.... R goes for RIGHT HAND ROTATION of Cranckshaft and A goes for the model configuration... all detrot diesel engines in their first pager give you a drawing of the models in R or in L...

Regards from Venezuela!
  11. vampire13

vampire13 Guest

Detroit engines

Hello!

4A goes for a 4 cylinder 71 Series engine... very reliable ones,, also very easy and cheap to repair! would recomend that if you have Steel rocker covers (the ones rounded) change them for aluminum covers wich use silicon gaskets instead of neoprene.... this aluminun cover stop the oil mess on the engines... it is a 100% recomended upgrade.....
    Please send photos and tell if yours are 4 valves or 2 valves.. also tell what injector do you have in them..... if HV or S model injectors do replace them with N model of injectors... that also is a 101% recomended upgrade for not cosmetical reason but for performance.... they really funtion MUCH better with the N injectors (just take care if they ed to be STD body or Offset)

Please feel free to write to me.. carl_8181@hotmail.com is my e-mail..

Regards from Venezuela..

Carl Grundinger