Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Westport

Detroit Diesel White Paint?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by hughdunlop, Nov 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok, my J&Ts 471 TI are white, but I'm eyeing up an Ocean with silver 671TIs...not white. As Capt J said, he has worked with Silver J&Ts...Did GM or DD ever make there own Marine engine complete? Or did someone have to Marinize them? How did Hatteras and others do it, on there own? It gets confusing for me I'll say, both the paint schemes and who marinized the darn things!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

DDC did marinize their own engines. DDC stopped at what they thought was a conservative and long life horsepower level.
    Other hot rod shops started putting in mods for lots more HP.
    When Roger Penski bought into DDC, He limited his sales to certain hot rod shops. Seemed DDC was getting some bad raps when a modified engine blew up.
    Under Penski, DDC did create their own mods, I think DDEC was under his management. Some other products with a lil more HP came forth but no time bombs.

Colors on boat engines are not a true flag of mfg. I saw a 24V71 painted red. I think that was a DDC creation.

Now days, you can spec any engine color when you order the boat.
  3. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

What do you wash the motor down with to remove the oil and grime? Do you use a primer of some sort first?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

West Bilge cleaner, Hand wash with help from a small toilet bowl brush. Knock all old paint flakes as you go.
    Then hands on rinse. Every surface and part, Lots of hot water if you can.
    All the soap has to come off or paint will not stick.

I found the Parks Acetone worked great with Rustoleum. Other brands did not mix as quick.
    No primer used. Lots of thin coats with mini sprayer, narrow pattern.
  5. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Thanks for ideas on my next, next, next, next , next project