Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Detroit Diesel 16v92TA

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by golden_fox, Feb 29, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

CaptJ - If you are going to quote me or anyone else on this forum please only quote the existing text. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO IT YOURSELF, as you did with the last post you made quoting me.

By the way MM is a linear measurement not a volumetric one so you better ask someone who knows the difference regarding what the 140 bit actually means.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

K1W1, I edited his post earlier this morning to remove his words from your quote.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thank you Kevin.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When I quoted that I did not realize that my text ended up in your quoted part and it was not intentional.

The 92 series have a much higher maintanence threshold and have many more area's of failure then a 71 series has. On a pleasure boat, the maintanence thresholds can be decades considering a private yacht usually is used 200 hours a year. So even if an owner went by the hourly threshold, it would be years and years before blower seals and this and that were checked.

Another reason for a lot of failures in recreational boats is that Detroit Diesel found that over time the green antifreeze ate away at the O-rings because of it's PH level. That is why they came out with their special blend of the red/pink coolant 5 years ago or so, which was after the fact.

What I said is they are good motors if they are used and used......like in a commercial truck that moves everyday and they last a long time. However time kills them and not wear. That is why in a pleasureboat they are horrible and do not last. Not to mention the cold start up smoke/smell, the oil leaks and everything else. If you look on yachtworld every yacht on there with 92's will mention x number of hours since major overhaul. I have run over 100 different yachts with 92 series in them.......sometimes for just a day......sometimes for a delivery...... and I've never had one come apart on me. However, every 12v92 boat that I've run.......about 50 of them..... every single one had been rebuilt and not because of hours........
  5. Manny

Manny Senior Member

my boat has also gotten to that many hours without rebuild.

my 54 bertram with 12v92's has around 2500 hours and it still runs excellent. it can still reach up to 2300 RPM's and not let out the slightest amount of smoke. and the mecanic, who has dealt with em for years, says they're still good for another 1000 hours

and I would also like to say of a 1990 65 Donzi that belongs to a friend with the 16v92's with 6,000 hours without rebuild.
  6. Cloudman

Cloudman New Member

Dd 8v 92ti

I have the 8V92 TI engines in my Bertram 46.6 Sportfisher which have 2,800 hours on them
    They are noisy, and very thirsty however they will always start and go even with fuel which has proven to be contaminated.
    I run at 1800 -1900RPM and get 18-20 Kts with a 26KTS at max 2150 RPM

Given the high cost of fuel this last summer....... we pay $3.7 a gallon!
    I am considering re-engining with the Yamaha 720 HP engines I would like to get a speed of 25-30 kts cruise
    Does anyone have any experience with these engine? or know of a more suitable engine
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I gotta agree with Manny here. Many many sportfish captains run the piss out of the engines- regardless of the engine. I run my 16-92's around 1750 cruise and get 21-22 knots in the 65 Donzi which burns 90 an hour. How you treat the engine is how it treats you. Many sportfish captains are cowboys and the engines pay.
  8. 61c40

61c40 Member

16v92

Engines that produce and operators that try to use horsepower at the magical rate of a horsepower per cubic in of dispacement need deep pockets.The question as posed did not indicate the weight of the yacht{ 85 footer 150,000~200,000? }The discussion went all around the concept, but no one said the bottom line is if you have to use more than 75/80 percent of the maximum horsepower to cruise at 20 plus knots your rebuild intervals will be shorter.Engine manufacturers rate their engines horsepower in duty cycles for a reason, fuel consumption = heat = wear rate. I have found that keeping the cooling systems intakes ,strainers,heat exchangers, antifreeze/coolant ,themostats,& pumps in top condition,combined with the use of the same brand of lubricating oil thru the life of the engine helps.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This depends entirely upon the rating of the engine.

If you have an A Rated engine from Caterpillar you can run it full wellie 24/7.

The original poster of this bought a pair of 3412's in the end.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Detroit Diesel 16v 92TA

Detroit Diesel red/pink coolant (Nalcool) was available in 1991, I bought for my 12v 71.series. which currently have 6200 hours , no smoke, still run out to 2300 and still are leakers into the "can".

If I was buying another "new" boat for recreational cruising, it would have DD's and preferably 2 stroke naturals.

My 2c
  11. 61c40

61c40 Member

Hi
    The A rated 32 acert only produces 1000 hp +- from a 1,952 cu in engine A 16v92 is a 1472 cu in engine thus its A rateing would be in the 700 to 800 hp range, hardly enough to propel a 85 footer to a 20+ knots cruise
    My point was, that any engine regardless of manufacturer that has a HP rateing equal to or only slightly less than its displacement in cubic inchs,an E rateing in caterpillar terms for example, will have a much shorter rebuild interval than an A rated engine