Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Detroit 12v71TA major overhaul costs

Discussion in 'Engines' started by William Domb, Feb 18, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. William Domb

William Domb New Member

Curious about the spread in costs to do a major overhaul on Hatteras Detroit Diesels.

Any info would be appreciated.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

really depends on what needs to be done, what else needs to be done, the might as wells, and access.

the average per hole is 2-4 k, but you could spend a lot more.

the best cost estimate will come from a qualified and reputable Detroit Diesel guy
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Depends on where the boat is and what model Detroit's you have. Please post a bit more information. $80-$100K for a single 16-92 is a good estimate on the east coast of the USA.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It also REALLY depends on access.....We paid $40k to major a 12v71TI through the dealer in 2008 in Fort Lauderdale. This was on a 1988 65' Hatteras MY with a 10' extension.
  5. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    A rebuild kit for the cylinders and bearings from an after market manufacturer is about $3000. Having the heads rebuilt is about $2000+ each and injectors about $150 each. The accessories don't really need rebuilding, but will need replacing or rebuilding at some time. I carry a full line of spares so don't worry about them. Usually I replace the water pump seals & bearings and overhaul the blower and turbo myself. That's all stuff that can be done in the winter. I also do my own overhauls. Genuine DD parts maybe better, but I've never seen a difference. I get 10,00 or more hours on naturals and 3,000 on turbo engines. 5-7,000 hours if I'm running the turbo engines. I've been running DDs or Gray Marines since 1964 and did my 1st overhaul about 1968.
    One option might be to find a retired DD mechanic and buy the parts yourself.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have found that the "might as wells" and incidentals can really add up fast to the final bill.

"might as well" do this or that now.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ohhhh yeah.....Might as well rebuild both raw water pumps, starters, alternators and on and on!
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I've often thought about those "might as wells". If the options have been maintained well and are working, why fix some thing that's not broke. If they have not been maintained, then,,,
    If the blowers already have the new design seals in them and are working,,,,, never kick a sleeping dawg (or induce a problem).

What I'm trying to say; be smart in your money spending. Don't throw money or time at something that may not need it. If it's not broke, don't fix it is another thought.