Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Determining Bilge Pump Size

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GFC, Feb 17, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Seafarer,

Like I said I apologized to CaptJ as I have very little knowledge of gas engines but have been around a few successful drivers of drag, Nascar and F1 cars plus a few Indy cars etc and when in their shops they are forever showing me engines being stripped down and rebuilt and that is after one race.

I was a guest at a IHRA meet one time and they where quite proud of being able to strip and rebuild an engine between races.

I also said though if he can race an engine in a car that does 30,000 miles with, I assuming, no maintenance of the inside bits that is fantastic and he should be commended.

...as for the stuff inside a goose, I prefer the stuff to be cooked seperately, makes it a bit crunchier :cool:
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

X2

Some time back a KAL plane crashed on Guam in a rainstorm, and it was blamed on the strict authoritarian "#1 knows best" and everyone else must listen to him/learn from/bow to him culture. It's been replaced at KAL and we as a group need to understand and heed that lesson.

I, and I hope others, do not wish anything other than to further the learning of the people who wish to embrace the marine industry without encountering haughtiness: indeed it is our place as members to curtail that practice which is so prevalent in our field.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While this is true, I don't think any of these pumps are specifically labeled "bilge pump" on the side of them. They are probably labeled a "multi purpose pump". It is abvious to me that Bamboo is talking about a pump made specifically for being mounted in a bilge and labeled a bilge pump such as a Rule, Attwood, Jabsco or similar that would be found at your local boat store.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In those types of racing classes, the engines are built to the very edge of HP produced and reliability for that one race and they are typically rebuilt after every race, sometimes not. One of the top Nascar teams, is one of my customers. If they have a good running engine they don't take it apart, they use it in their test cars and see how much longer it will go. They even go to extremes of using 1 engine for the qualifying, then replace it and have a fresh engine for the race. But when you're taking an engine that was designed to turn 6-7000 rpms and twisting it 13000-15000 rpms it's a little outside of the origional engineers intentions when he designed it.

In the class that I was running, my engine had hydraulic roller lifters and roller rockers, so there really was no need to take the valve covers off to adjust anything. However, get your ignition timing off by a few degrees on the boost retard and you'll be pulling melted pistons out in seconds. The class that I was running was based upon a streetable car and had very strict rules of what you could and could not run. The fact that it stayed together for that long and never had to be touched was a testament that everything was done right. Most other's blew motors every race or every other race.

Anyways, I don't have a lot of experience with a flathead ford. My dad used to drag race those on the beach drag races in Daytona back in the day in a Model B ford. But it doesn't have a valve cover. If I remember correctly, you have to remove the cylinder head to get to the valves. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never really played with them.

As for a diesel engine, it's very similar to a gas engine internally for the most part. Yeah you have sleeves instead of actual cylinders the pistons ride in and a few other differences...... but still pretty similar. Actually the newer OHV gas engines are a whole lot more complicated IMO, then your typical marine diesel.
  5. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

You had better check with your customer at the top Nascar team as the last thing he wants to do is use one engine to qualify and another to race with as changing an engine between qualifying and the race forces you to the back of the field. Like wise, changing a gear box is the same penalty.

Also can you tell me how your car went 30,000 miles and yet as you wrote

"Most other's blew motors every race or every other race."

what was your secret.

and just for the record it was somebody else asking about how to take valve covers off a flathead ford.

:confused:
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Better question... What the HELL does this have to do with Bilge Pump size???

Yachtjockey, find another horse to whip!
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread is closed and will likely be stripped of off-topic rebuttals that nobody gives a **** about.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.