Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Determining Bilge Pump Size

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GFC, Feb 17, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

At the very front and deepest part of the hull so you can examine the condition of the turds as they go by, and also see if you're discharging any corn!
  2. P Jardine

P Jardine New Member

Interesting thread. As a freshwater sailor, I find that most people in the great lakes look at bilge pumps as a method of getting rid of rain water, rather than having to deal with holes, fractures, or seas coming aboard. I have two 1600 gph Johnson pumps on board, and a 750 gph backup as well, and my friends think I'm loony.

This thread has shown me I have sanity. Thanks.:D
  3. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I need to replace my washdown pump. Currently its a 3/4 26 gpm pump. I'd also like to use it as an auxiliary bilge pump. I'm looking at a centrifugal pump which will be 1 1/2" intake and discharge. The input will be either the forward bilge, main bilge, both bilges or through hull. Discharge will be either washdown hoses or overboard. Depending on the hp it will be either 80 gpm or 100 gpm at about 10 feet of head. This pump will be able to run off of shore power, generator or inverter. This will need to be manually started and will be in addition to my regular bilge pumps (4 x 2000, 1 x 3700, 1 x 500). What do you think?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you can't stand with your nose above water it doesn't much matter if it's fresh or salt. Keep staying safe. Hopefully your friends will learn from your wisdom.
  5. patrick tobin

patrick tobin New Member

Bilge Pump Control.

Always use a fused relay in line with the pump and allow the bilge float switch to control the relay. This stops the full load current of the billge pump going through the float switch and which could cause the contacts ( ie. in bad weather ) to arc/stick and flatten your battery. For safety, why not fit a warning light at the helm console if any bilge pumps cut in. Safety can never be compromised.
  6. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Electronic conversion

Did a search no luck finding anything on this subject, Have just purchased a 1980 CC 350 Catalina with 350Q engines. Does anyone have experience re converting to electronic ignition???
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Do you sincerely not understand this or is this some strange tangent?
    Can you give us a link to any pump you've seen rated at 16,800 GPH, or is this again another strange tangent?

I hope everyone here understand on "smaller boats" which K1W1 does not seem to operate on that bilge pumps found in everyday marine stores are commonly rated at the discharge with no hose attached. Add a hose and the pumps rated ability drops. Add height of discharge and the ability drops further. Add longer hose and/or angles in the hose and the ability continues to drop. I hope folks asking these questions about bilge pump capacity needed understand these basics. A person of K1W1's purported experience, license and professional level should know these simple facts, which I'm sure he does. It appears since he does not personally care for Capt J he's just trying to piss him, and others off- which is not unusual.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Oh Dear, it would really appear that someone did indeed piss on your fish and chips or were you backing MUFC in their rather lack lustre performance last night?

Read this: http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/122171-post40.html

CaptJ answered the questions well enough for anyone who is not familiar with centrifugal pump performance to understand that the number on the body of the pump will not necessarily be the volume of water they are going to be able to pump with their particular installation.

As for trying to piss him and others off as you say, This is a forum where folks come to seek advice, if I see advice given that is mis leading or just downright wrong I will reply.

Enjoy your Sunday, I hope the hangover isn't too bad :D
  9. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Bamboo,

I do not believe KIWI is setting out to "piss" people off because he does not like CaptJ but he and I do set out to correct him when what he posts is so blatantly wrong it is dangerous.

You not believe me, do a search and find what he wrote in a post about being able to change a cylinder while under way on a ship.

As KIWI pointed out it was CaptJ who was quoting flow rates.

Alot has been written about the size of pump but what about the amount of water coming in. Small hole - small pump, big hole - life jacket.

PS. I have tried the fish & chips at Sailfish and found them to be very good. Do you think we should start a thread about the decline of NZ rugby or one about the skills of Messi.

or how about a thread asking a Captain with an unlimited Ocean going license what he thinks of guys who have a 100 ton license being able to call themselves captains. (that is how you really piss people off :D )
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As a 100GT who is one because that's where the fun is for me, I can tell you that given a small boat in tight quarters I'll out maneuver 99% of the unlimiteds out there, because that's what I specialize in. I dock all sorts of boats in all sorts of situations probably close to 1,000 times a year, often using other people's hands. Any unlimited's do that? Every captain that does his job well has his place and a job that fits. I respect the guys with tonnage for their knowlege and abilities, but 'every man to his job'.
    NY Captain.:D
  11. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

I asked a similiar question on a commercial thread one time asking if a Captain with an unlimited license could dock a ship. Whoa, the answers came thick and fast however my point was just like you answered. Bearing in mind most ships use a port pilot.

mind you 1000 dockings a year, 5 day week is about 5 per day 7 day week is about 3 per day :confused: nice to see some one who works like I do.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't be confused, and being a northerner I only have about 200 days or less on the water per year. Every day out usually involves going into and coming out of at least 2 slips (lunch runs, fuel docks, etc., but the big numbers come from lessons. In a 3 hour lesson we'll dock about 30 times and I'll sometimes do up to 4 lessons in a day.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Should we leave that till 23 Sept so we can also include a discussion on Scotlands pozzie?
  14. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

So you are still taking those lessons ? :D
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Every day I'm on the water. Still waiting to know everything. Maybe another 50 years or so.:D
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree totally, and have very similar experience. I run about 300 different yachts a year, and in a variety of situations. Sometimes running 4 or 5different yachts in a single day, most going on a freighter in that situation. I have a ton of seatime and have run yachts in a large part of this side of the world. I also have loaded around 500 yachts on various freighters over the years. I also know my limitations and wouldn't think of running something over 150', and somewhat hesitant from 115-150', even though I've run many 95-115', as well as 1 146'. But have no interest in going bigger. I thoroughly enjoy what I do and what I run. I don't want to babysit crew day in and day out, and be stuck who knows where for months because that's where the boss likes it.........

I've seen several unlimited's that are very good on the yacht they're on everyday, and some not so good like the one that hit the bridge going in and out of St. Maarten this year. Some that are good transfering from one yacht to another in a similar size, and some not so good. But I've seen a lot of them that cannot run the 35' tender of the same very yacht they're fulltime on with any competancy whatsoever. Same with smaller yachts from 50-80'. The other issue with some unlimiteds I see, when it comes to running something under 100' is they have no engineering skills whatsoever, because they're always had an engineer to rely on. But like anything, there are some very good well rounded ones also.
  17. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Your insinuation of my drinking is an assumption which is false. It failed to insult me, but it does serve to re-enforce my point.

I understand Capt J explained the issue clearly- but that is not what I was referring to- it was your need for the explanation.
    Please re-read and try to comprehend before you post again.

Your constant belittling and acting as if you are a teacher and everyone is your beginning student is tiresome and troll like and only serves to degrade the forum.

If you do not understand something; ask. If you think others need an explanation, then say the OP may not be clear to some IYHO and either ask them to expound or deliver a more detailed account of the areas which are in doubt.
  18. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Was Capt J unclear or posting false information in this thread?
    It matters not if I believe you or not. What Capt J knows about other unrelated subjects is unimportant.
    In his second post I quoted, yes. In his first post K1W1 asked as a simpleton who did not understand that a pump flows a given amount at the pump and a differing amount dependent on hose length and discharge height above the pump. Either 1) he is the simpleton- which we know to be untrue- or 2)he was trying to "help" others by asking- which is exceedingly unlikely- or 3) he was acting like a troll who looks down on others; which is his usual MO.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Did I mention drinking anywhere? Hangovers come in many shapes and sizes, not just out of a bottle.

Can you please practice what you preach? CaptJ answered the questions a couple of posts after I posed them.

The reason I asked the question was because the way the info was posted originally it made out that 4000 Gallons of water could somehow enter the pump suction and them vanish before reaching the outlet. If you think this is how a centrifugal pump works then I suggest you read his answer.

Have you actually taken a look at your last two posts?

Ok I will.

Will you cease the unfounded personal attacks against me on behalf of a 3rd party you imagine has been slighted?
  20. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Larger vessels and smaller vessels are different vessels which require different skills sets to operate professionally with competence. Not all the skills cross-over, and not all of those that operate smaller vessels would be able to be a good professional when moving up in size, and not all of those that operate larger vessels would be good professionals when moving down in size.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.