Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Designer Yachts...

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by AMG, Jul 23, 2005.

1. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Oeino has been and is doing really outstanding and innovative work.
    Skat and Octopus stand out not only on size but for distinctive design and styling.
    The Marlin, Shark and Nemo projects are his as well.
    Dave
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Octopus is a good looking yacht, but not what I call a designer yacht. The lines are also borrowed from Limitless and therefore not really new. Most of Oeino's boats are however well concieved and with more timeless and practical styling than many other yachts coming out these days.

Attached Files:

3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

That's Limitless in the left photo, right? Fair point on which came first. But I would say this theme works much better for the larger Octopus. Is not a copy that improves worthy of a "designer" label?

Kelly
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Not if you ask me, it is like comparing real diamonds with Swarovski Crystal...
  5. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

I've always thought that true Designer Yachts are unique, one-off designs, intelligently combining the owner's specifications and eccentricities, and interpreted by the designer into a visually-pleasing, safe and seaworthy vessel.
    IMHO
    :)
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are describing a good Yacht Design, not a Designer Yacht...;)
  7. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Oh, okay.
    Am sure Double Bling would qualify as a Designer Yacht.
    BTW ... what propulsion system did you envision for it?
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, if she was built to my specs, she would probably qualify...;)

Propulsion has been up in another thread and I don´t really remember what I wrote, but today I could think of turbine powered electric motors and waterjets as a nice combination, tuned for future fuel/power options.
  9. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

That makes it all the more interesting.
    It would be very nice to see her built.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I had the pleasure of meeting Espen during the Breman Brothers 2005 Beach Bash at FLIBS. We were standing in line for dinner and struck up a conversation. I kept thinking... this guy looks so familiar, not realizing it was Espen until he told me his name. :rolleyes:

He's a young guy and very unassuming. It's nice to meet talented people that remain grounded. On that note... I don't think it's not enough to be a good designer. It requires practical experience, an understanding of the client's needs and more importantly, an understanding of the yards capability and the systems that will be integrated. Through all of this, a designer has to remain personable, flexible and helpful to all the entities involved. This is likely one of the reasons Espen has enjoyed success. :)
  11. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Carl,
    Do you have any pictures of Espen at FLIBS?
    It would be nice to connect a face to the yachts he designed.
    A
  12. YachtForums

Lars,

In reading this thread, I'm not sure I fully understand the meaning of a "Designer Yacht". My perception would be the same as Arnie's above. If I understand you correctly, you're saying a Designer Yacht should stand the test of time? If this is true, I would like to raise Bannenberg’s work which you cited in an earlier post...

Without question, his designs were fresh and bold, ushering in a new era in yacht design. I know it goes against popular opinion among yacht enthusiasts, but among the less educated, I’ve heard comments ranging from dated to dreadful. I think if history teaches us anything, is that we must must keep an eye on the future. I think you have proven this with your own designs. Although you designed some of them many years ago, they still remain the most modern and timeless designs to date.

The yachts being built today will be seen in many ports over the years to come. This can be a direct reflection on the future demand of a builder. All too often, a builder is credited with a design, not the actually designer. Here in lies a problem...

Often, a yard will choose a design because of an established relationship with a designer. Because they will be working together closely for years on just one project, this often leads to another project, as each party becomes more familiar with each other; their thought processes, and protocols. All of this makes sense in many ways, both from a fiscal and time element, however this also makes it difficult for a new designer to make in-roads.

I believe in many cases (not just limited to yacht building), there exists a pop-mentality of using a name that is familiar, whether it be a product, service or in this case... a designer. Do they chance the risk of new talent, or travel the path of past performance. Builders must be conservative and prudent by nature. They are risking millions of dollars and 1000’s of man-hours on one design, let alone multiple projects. Choosing a designer they can “work with” is imperative, but this may also limit the builder’s design options.

Not surprisingly, there is a certain amount of “emulation” that takes place, where subtle features and accents previously penned by other designers… magically make their way into a more established designer’s repertoire. Then, having an existing communication with certain yards, they are able to further their acceptance. Again, this makes opening channels for a new designer even more challenging. But… this could be said of any industry.
  13. YachtForums

Arnie,

Sorry, I didn't take any pics at the Beach Bash, but on page 81 of the September issue of Y.I., there's an interview with Espen and a picture or two.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Trying to answer this in a few words. My initial post in this thread was saying almost the contrary, good Yacht Designs like Hargrave and de Voogt will stand the test of time, while Designer Yachts are on the boundaries between success and failure.

Bannenbergs designs were often considered nightmares to build and the same to maintain. Some are also a little over the top or outdated today, but many are still really attractive and all of them were pushing the envelope when new. This is the nature of a Designer Yacht, new yacht concepts with unexpected lines and details.

If you look at the Oceanfast Parts VI you will find that almost all yachts today have borrowed details she had twenty years ago.

The lack of evolution today is probably partly from what you are saying, shipyards are sticking with the designers they think will sell and the brokers are supporting this thinking, as it makes life easier. The brokers are very influential since both shipyards and buyers need their support, even if it has often more to do with money than knowledge.

But as I also said initially, when you now have built a number of yachts far too big to get into the ports, the next evolution will probably be to build yachts that are more personal, better designed and with even higher quality.

As more and more people are interested in having a yacht, I am sure there will be two main directions. One for more mainstream semicustom yachts with short delivery time and one for smarter one-off yachts, like Wally and who is next...?

/Lars
  15. YachtForums

Ahhh... now I understand. Thank you for clarifying. This is a good topic. Let's move it into the General Discussion for awhile. Maybe others will chime-in. :)
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think the general up-turn of the yacht market would be another factor leading to lack of evolution. Twenty years ago super-yachts were for the very elite, but over time they are becoming more and more accesible (relatively speaking of course) as more people get larger fortunes and "want it now". It's far easier to quickly sell something "safe" than it is to sell something revolutionary. I mean, look at the M-140 and Wallypower... both have been on the market for how long already? On the other hand, Trinity signed five contracts at FLIBS alone.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, and since more yachts than we know are built on spec, they go for less risky projects. So we must admire Wally for building the 118' which has all the warning signs, extreme looks, extreme power/speed and extremely expensive for the size. Maybe too extreme? Future will tell but she has changed the perception of a fast yacht from the usual Pershing or Sunseeker themes.

In the past we have however seen spec built Designer Yachts such as Oceana from Bannenberg/Oceanfast. The first one picked up in Brunei, then the more beautiful that became known as Kremlin Princess and Little Sis.

I hope some yards will use this route so not all yachts look like clones...
  18. KCook

KCook Senior Member

EH?? I thought brokers were for used yachts. And new build customers who want to use them as project managers? But still optional for a new build customer. Do you mean that it's more difficult for a new build customer to get access to project managers or builders without using a broker?

Kelly
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

:) Yacht brokers rules, if you ask them. :)

Of course they want to be part of any deal and when a shipyard is building on spec, they turn to the brokers. As well as many yacht owners who want to sell and build new yachts.

Project managers you can get without a broker involved, it can be a professional such or a yacht captain you have or is hiring.
  20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Thanks Lars. I didn't know the "spec" builds were a significant number. A broker certainly makes sense for that game.

Kelly