Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Delta Marine News

Discussion in 'Delta Yacht' started by Yacht News, Sep 2, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Seems to be more on a global perspective too. In the 50m+ range, most are going Dutch or Italian. The last hull from Christensen was finished by Delta so they have lost much of their 50m presence. We have Westport, of course, but not a player in the 55m-65m that Delta has been working in lately.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Delta Marine Industries has been the premier builder of yachts in the US for many yrs and not through the attrition of others in the U.S. closing up shop. A true custom builder capable of Steel, aluminum, and composite. After being involved with builds from Trinity, Christensen and Delta there's no comparison between them. Delta's attention to detail in the joinery, stainless work and fit and finish is exceptional for a U.S. builder and while the quality still isn't what's found in Northern European builds they're getting there. Deltas mechanical systems i.e. plumbing, fuel and seawater systems still need to evolve for access and equipment / fittings durability and common sense in some situations. Deltas paint systems are nearly flawless and they have a dedicated facility to insure this outcome. Delta's are priced comparatively to Northern European builds and that may be a issue for clients when building a 50 meter Christensen that is a sub 40 million dollar build and the same Delta is 10 million more but in the end your getting what you pay for. OB, Deltas are all around you in south Florida's marinas. I didn't comment on Westport as I've never been involved in a build with them. I've been on quite a few 40 & 50 meter Westport's and while the fit and finish seem top notch for a production boat, the systems and mechanical installations leave a lot to be desired. That being said, I still consider the 40 meter Westport to be the best Caribbean cruiser built at that price point.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Perhaps I've just not noticed. I'm far more inclined to notice a Nor-tech or Cigarette. I don't normally even think about the brands of yachts around me. I don't find it at all difficult to believe their workmanship is better than Trinity or Christiansen. Even more so, I wouldn't trust Christiansen with Luken and I wouldn't have trusted Trinity their last few years. Trust in a builder is very important to me, whether US or elsewhere. You're putting a tremendous amount of money at risk.

It's hard to evaluate Burger since they've only launched one recreational boat in the last few years and the only boat under construction is 48 feet. They have all their new designs but have never built any of them. Do you give them credit for all the boats they've built or treat them more like a start up? I think somewhere in between. I've was very impressed by the one we chartered.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hardly a startup. You know Burger's history pretty much as well as I and the current situation that they find themselves in is a heartbreaker and doesn't make much sense to me. Here again is a full custom builder capable of building in steel and aluminum and has been in business since the late 1800's I believe. Burgers were (are) known for their exquisite joinery work and top notch electrical installations through the years and one of the few if not the only yacht builder in the states where an apprentice program was in place for the trades. It wasn't uncommon to see fathers working along side their sons or daughters in the shops. The town of Manitowoc has supported Burger with a deep labor pool and Henry and then Elias Gunnel rewarded the town with incredible longevity. Burger has recently invested in infrastructure in the last ten years building new shops and sheds but prospective clients aren't knocking at their doors despite having some really great N.A's on staff and really good looking new designs I've crawled through many a Burger from the eighties up to doing relief work on Mirgab in 2013 and was impressed by the evolution of workmanship and systems all around. Burgers quality is not at the level of Delta Marine in my opinion But its certainly a cut above the others mentioned. The VP of sales Ron Cleveringa is a NA product of Michigan State Univ. and was the staff NA for Broward's Saugatuck operation for many years so he knows his business well. Ron and crew actively market and are at all the shows so I don't know the reason for not having a full orderbook other than the trend to stay away from Aluminum construction vs GRP with the success of builders like Westport. I certainly wish them well and hope that they come out of this intact with a good book of business.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Just to make it clear, Michigan State, a great agricultural school, does not offer a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.

You would have to go a bit southeast to get that degree from THE University of Michigan, as Professor Parson was so inclined to say
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. I figured if wrong that you would set me on the correct course . Excellent rep for turning out NA's.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I have tremendous respect for Burger and hope they can find themselves again in the recreational yacht market. Unfortunately, I'm afraid my hope is more wishful thinking than information based hope, but I am cheering for them to find success again.