Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

DELETE Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm surprised nobody here has brought the recent allegations (though, they aren't really "allegations" since they've been admitted/proven) of FB suppressing people opinions just because they don't fit the mainstream narrative, or the popular opinion that the government wants you to think.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When you play on someone else's field you play by their rules or you don't play. Don't like it then only play on your own field. Many people think FB is a media outlet, obligated to report fairly. It's not.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm not talking about what FB reports... I mean the history they've had of deleting/suppressing an individual's personal posts based on the opinions expressed therein.
  4. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Kevin, I think that’s NY’s point. FB owns the playground so they make the rules. Just like me posting on YF plugging my muffler bearing company. I’m bound by YF rules like it or not.
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Totally get what you're saying... but the manipulation of facts to fit an agenda (and then subsequently changing your mind on what you manipulate) is not the same as a "set of rules" for a community.

At this point I'm surprised people trust FB for anything more than posting cat videos and pictures of their new shoes.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, Like Trumps 2 year ban?

I have to ask posters for different leads on their stories, topics or news. I do not access FB for anything.

I keep hoping the Sheopole would stop using this trap.
    Guess showing off the new shoes is more important than privacy, tracking or biased monitoring.

nofacebook.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I wondered the same thing for the last 5 or so years. and it's exactly the "individual's personal posts based on the opinions expressed therein" that masqueraded as news that was the problem. Now the pendulum has swung in the other direction. Oh well. It's still their playground and they make the rules. They can display what they want, delete what they want and ban whomever they want. Unlike the mainstream media that some had so many complaints against the past few years the FCC can't demand they practice or even help get fairness or balance. FB can do pretty much what they want and ban who they want. Those who don't like it are welcome to open their own site if they have a few billion to invest.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think Facebook has done a good job recently as they delete unconfirmed, unproven, allegations. Now, if you don't think the owner's view plays any role in what is allowed and what is deleted, you've never been on any internet site, including forums, including this forum. Furthermore, if someone posts something here about a builder that is ugly regarding them and can't be confirmed or supported, as a moderator, are you going to let it remain? No.

Every social media site is dealing with this and they will all show some leanings on various issues. It's a new issue they must struggle with. Yes, they'll delete posts based on unsubstantiated posts. Yes, they'll delete unsubstantiated conspiracy theories. They've long deal with foreign terrorists and just now really figuring out how to address domestic terrorists. You have to draw some lines. They won't always do so where you or I agree. The simple fact is, if you don't like it, you don't go there and there are plenty of others out there they may fit your views better.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Facebook owns their playground, but they enjoy it with significant benefits granted to them by the tax payer. Take away those protections that the rest of us don't get to enjoy. If they want to control speech, let them do it at their own risk.

As it is now, I can see a path wherein they're accomplices to the death and destruction brought by this pandemic.
    bayoubud and Kevin like this.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

"Conspiracy Theory" is the new term for a topic folks don't want discussed. You can't get to the truth most often without the ability to stretch a conversation to include theory some might deem as wild. No, they shut down conversation that doesn't fit within their political spectrum. They ignore trash that doesn't rub their view points.

I don't really care much about what they do with their platform. I simply believe they must be forced to play by the same rules the rest of us are locked into following. Section 230 requires them to a standard they don't follow.
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Capt Ralph and bayoubud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.