Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Furuno

DELETE Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Everything we have connected to WiFi or an outside network is subject to hacking, and not just by the provider. Computers, smart phones, TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, stoves, camera and security systems, etc. etc., and most of it we give permission for. There's something to be said for staying "stupid". If multi-billion dollar corporations and governments can't stay secure what chance do the rest of us have? I taped over the camera on my computer and my phone is generally facing the inside of my pocket or the ceiling, but with phones having cameras facing both directions ….
  2. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Many TVs have cameras too. Good for tracking who is watching what, or just to see who is visiting. Remotes may have microphones. Remember that others’ devices are tracking you, matching voice prints. Alexa knows you even if you don’t own one. Just like Facebook knows you well, even if you’re “not on Facebook”.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Just watched a Netflix special called “The Social Dilemma” which interviewed top level engineers and executives from the big silicon valley tech companies. They are all united on this front and coming forward with warnings on how these platforms are collecting information on you and manipulating the information you receive, to their monetary benefit.
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Not a better reason for deleting your account after FB got caught blatantly channeling their partisan view of political information to their sheeple and shutting down accounts that posted information opposing FB's view. DELETE!
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Given what they shut down I say IT's ABOUT TIME.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Well, no reason to hear both sides, if you have a FB account your being fed the right stuff. Reference : post #124.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Anybody who gets their news from FaceBook or any such feed is a fool. Network or even cable news may have bias but they're prohibited from lying and have licenses and millions of dollars to lose if they do. Facebook and such can serve a good purpose (if you don't mind giving up your privacy). News and seeking truth just isn't one of them.
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Agree, that is why I am not a member.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Trouble is that makes you invisible for employers and people from your past. I have a very minimal page, but do not use FB for any other purpose. It's simply there so people can find me.
  10. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

You have a FB profile even if you’ve never created an account. They have trackers all over the web, collect public information, an probably have your personal info from friends and relatives who let FB upload all their contact info. Your dog walker who has your alarm code in her contact info, then FB uploads it, etc, etc.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Soon we'll be arrested for our thoughts. Wait you already can be in certain parts of the world. I'd sure hate to be coming into this world.
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Our government does the same, can record every electronic communication. As we have seen in recent years there are many in government that have the ability to access the information to use against their adversaries or sell. The massive amount of info stored is being hacked daily with no end in sight.
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

You say that like it's a bad thing. LOL
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I know what you're saying, but I'm referring t0 it more in terms of getting new business not as a company employee. Yeah working for a company it can only hurt.
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Did anyone catch the news last night that 40 states have brought anti-trust lawsuits against Google for manipulating search results? It's not limited to search, it's also their analytic program that is manipulating traffic results.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/17/google-search-antitrust-lawsuit/

I'm a member of a webmasters group that filed a complaint. The problem is Google's algorithm constantly changes. It's like trying to hit a moving target. I have never veered from the belief that information is the core value of the internet. The numbers of views our discussions generate along with hundreds of new members every month support this.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am not using Facebook, but like most people I am using Google and YouTube for information. Last week I was writing an email to a female friend and told her that I have stopped taking a medicine that had severe side effects. The day after when I opened YouTube, I got a suggestion to watch a discussion on that very drug! This is beyond spooky I think, and the only explanation I could find is that she has a g-mail account. Besides this single mail, I have not searched or discussed over the net about this drug for at least a year, so somehow I can only guess that our mail conversation was read by Google who then targeted me on YouTube...
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used to be a private person and highly valued my privacy, but I thankfully lived my life with the attitude of not caring what anyone knew about me. Sure glad I did, because anybody who thinks that any area of their lives are private today is just fooling themselves. I keep my computer's camera covered, but other than that I have no illusions but nor do I worry about it. The horses are long gone and they're never coming back. No sense worrying about the open barn door now. Yes your emails are looked at, but it doesn't matter who your carrier is. I get a ton of email sales solicitations to my AOL email account that come through Outlook and I have never had an AOL email account. Figure that one out. Needless to say anything that comes in addressed to that email gets deleted without opening.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I get spam mails, about 25 to 50 a day, but they are never related to any content in my private mail like what I described with YouTube...
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just the next generation intrusion to be monetized. Soon it'll be something you mentioned in a phone call or just thought about. I've gotten several notices lately from Facebook and Youtube about changes in their "Privacy" policies. Who has time or legal training to understand them, but I'm guessing they just say that my using their platforms entitles them to spy on me and use what they learn to target me for sales or gives them permission to sell my info to those who will. What can you do short of going off grid?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  20. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I don't use any of the big tech's except Microsoft only because I have to and they are doing the same as all the others. Hopefully they all will lose the liability protection that congress gave to them, they have abused the public's privacy and trust long enough. Not to mention they are willing to be partners with our adversaries.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.