Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

DELETE Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Watch the movie "The Circle" - stars Tom Hanks (from 2017) and Emma Watson. It will send chills.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

https://rom.feria.name/how-online-surveillance-changes-us-b71364f2c92e

That's a very comprehensive article on FB/G alternatives for just about every service they can offer.
  3. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Good find Kevin. Excellent advice. Instead of What's App, consider Wire or Signal apps or FaceTime audio for iOS users only.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I never understood the appeal of what’sapp. It seems very popular with people from ... let’s say 3rd world... but nowadays with Wifi calling, unlimited texting, nearly unlimited cellular and wifi in so many places, why use apps like that along with other messengjng apps?
  5. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Good question, Pascal. From my experience... when cell service is poor but wifi is good, calls are more stable than the cell network via wifi; voice quality is much better than "phone" quality; I can use unlimited mobile data in countries where I would pay for voice calls or the other person would pay; calls are secure when using non-tech giant owned apps; I can make and receive calls from non-phone devices like iPads and PCs. Maybe other reasons but that's just what comes to mind at the moment.
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think the biggest appeal of WhatsApp is the cross-platform ability, and group chats. Everyone I know that uses it, does so for those reasons.
  7. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Wire and Signal (and likely others) have those features and more, and are more secure, but WA gets promoted by its owner, so it has a huge user base.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The biggest reason everyone's on WA is likely that it was released in 2009, while Wire and Signal both came out in 2014. WA got their user base built way before the other two, and voila, they're the one everyone sticks with just because it simpler than making a switch and most people don't care enough to bother.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yes I use it in the Bahamas but using my iPhone Wifi calling feature. No need for a third party app. Works great. That s why I don’t see the point of things like what’s app.
  10. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

FB is deleting all posts and stories that are counter to the establishment (CDC, WHO, MSFT) views on CV-19. Well, it's their platform and they don't charge for it. But, the downside to all the CV-19 testing is that your dna will be turned over to law enforcement - put into that BIG CLOUD in the sky.
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Now that's a big brother statement.
  12. yr2030

yr2030 Senior Member

My grandsons who have been on FB for almost a decade had their account suspended because they violated the community standards. This coming from a company that is devoid of any kind of decency standards . If you want to know what they wrote, I'll put it up
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Last night I watched a Netflix documentary called "The Great Hack" that exposes how Cambridge Analytica used personal data from Facebook to build psychological profiles on millions of users, then target them with ads to sway their opinions, and their votes. It's a real inside look through the eyes of the people who worked at Cambridge Analytica. It essentially confirms everything we've discussed in this thread. The extent of the surveillance by Facebook is shocking! This is one of the most enlightening documentaries I've ever seen. Here's a trailer...

14. yr2030

yr2030 Senior Member

TikTok doing the same thing - spying
  15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Indigo_Bay likes this.
  16. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Saw an interesting tidbit online today... and while I'm not one to subscribe to every conspiracy theory out there, I also believe that certain things can be too coincidental.

Google "DARPA lifelog". The first 2 results should be a Wikipedia article and a WIRED.com article, both are short reads.

While you're on Wikipedia, put "Facebook" in the search bar, and look at when Zuck launched his original site.

Just sayin'.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why am I not surprised or even shocked. Ever read 1984? It's been here for awhile. Alexis do I have privacy anymore?
  20. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Good one, Ed! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.