Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Definitive yacht - Power/sail catamaran opinion

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Danio, Sep 16, 2016.

1. popobowa

popobowa New Member

To the kite driven boat...there was a project operating such a kite on a coadtal freighter....but it had to fly figures of 8 all the time. I think they had control problems...didnt hear from it any more..but will chk.
    But that kind of boat would want me to drop the rig , motor into wind ar 1ltr/nm and kite downwind.....I would be a buyer...if its not zillions.
    I was nearly putting $ down for a 58ft LDCruiser, NZ built, price mentioned in a nz boating mag. at around nzd.860....so I contacted them....and thry said due to clients wishes, the now standard...before extras...made the price rise to.....
    1.8m.....within a year maybe
  2. popobowa

popobowa New Member

To the kite driven boat...there was a project operating such a kite on a 130m container freighter...app. 20% fuelsavings..didnt hear from it any more..but will chk.
    They also used it for a wind powerstation.

The above boat would be my personal favourite...powercruising at 1l/nm...and sailing reaching and downwind, with low centre of effort.

I was nearly putting $ down for a 58ft LDCruiser,also eying a deplorable kite, NZ built, price mentioned in a nz boating mag. at around nzd.860....so I contacted them....and they said due to clients wishes, the now standard model..before extras...made the price rise to.....
    1.8m.....all within a year maybe...
  3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

popobowa,

did you ever find a boat for yourself?
  4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Popobowa hasn't logged in to YF since June 4, 2021.