Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

DDC/MTU

Discussion in 'Engines' started by genteq, Feb 22, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. genteq

genteq New Member

Anyone out there dealing with 16V2000 DDC/MTU engines? I'm trying to get an idea what is causing the rapid hunting I get between 1050 and 1150 RPM.
  2. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

Isn't that right about where the sequential turbo fires up? Those engines are awesome to operate, but man have they had problems. Seems as though you could get the detroit man out there to plug in his cpu to figure out your problem.
  3. genteq

genteq New Member

Definitely nice engines, but finicky. The second turbo cuts in around 1750 to 1800 rpm, depending, I think on load level, so that's not the problem. Interestingly, my engines are doing this at no load as well as loaded, and it happens at 1450 to 1500 rpm as well. The MTU guys in Singapore suggested that it's a critical speed issue, but I've decided they're full of it. Critical speeds don't occur in 2 different rpm ranges. I'm presently trying to by the DDC dignostic software so I can plug my laptop in and see what the control system is doing.
  4. thomed

thomed New Member

HHmmmmm....

I was up at Mac City last year, having serious problems with my newly rebuilt (by local Det. Diesel dealer) 6v92, and couldn't get service because the local DD mechanics were all swarming around a new 60' Viking with DDC MTU 16v's in it, which also happened to be at the same marina. Detroit Williams denied being anywhere within 400 miles of me. It was quite comical, as TWO of their trucks were in the parking lot of the marina. I actually had a conversation with their rep,

(him) "We're not anywhere near there, it will cost you a fortune in mileage to come all the way up from Grand Rapids". (Me), ""There are 2 of your trucks in the parking lot."
    (Him), No there aren't".
    (Me), "Yes there are"
    (him) "no no"
    (Me), "I've walked over to one of your trucks, I'm now touching it."
    (Him), "No, you're not."
    (Me, heading for boat to get camera) "Yes, yes I am. " (remind you of a Monty Python sketch, or maybe a stimulating conversation between 3 year olds?)

Off my soapbox, back to the new 60' Vike, seems it had a minor problem of a rod going thru the side of the engine block.

I got my problem resolved by paying the local independent shop, since DD absolutely refused to honor wy. on my insignificant, small, $22K rebuild, and went on my way up into Canada.

Came back a week later, the big Vike was still there at Mac City. Seems that on the "checkout run" for the newly rebuilt engine, the OTHER engine threw a rod!!! Last I heard the owner was having some very terse words with DDC, Vike, etc., don't know how his problem was taken care of, there was talk of "sue us, won't do any good" going around.

Then, on my way back home, my rebuild again broke down, (I kept blowing injectors, even though they were replaced as part of the rebuild). I was in Pentwater, MI, 5 miles from Ludington, MI. Again, DD refused to come help me, they were busy working in Ludington on a 60' vessel that had broken down. (Don't know if it was the same vessel or not, but query how many 60' boats with new DDC MTU's are there on Lake Mich? Not many, for sure.)

Well, my problem was discovered AFTER I got all the way home to Michigan City, IN. The factory trained, blah blah DD mechanic had switched the return and feed lines!!

Oooops.

That's ok, I only blew 3 injectors, and traveled like about a thousand miles like this, and they didn't even charge me to switch the lines back.

thomed

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. diesel

diesel New Member

The supply and return lines to you injectors are not the same. The supply line is much shorter than the return line and will only fit one way. It is physically impossible to mix them up. Since your engine has now been repaired I'm not suggesting you go start a fight, but beware.