Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

DD12v71 engines & the 61 Hatteras

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Gordon McLeer, Feb 2, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gordon McLeer

Gordon McLeer New Member

Resrching the 12v71. Would like to sell my bayliner 45' 1986 and buy a 61 hatteras. Years 1980 to 1985! Are they bad gas burners? How many hours are they good for? What is the real draft of the 61? Is the 8v92 a better engine?
    Want the galley up. Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks, Gordon:)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 12v71's are much better engines then the 8v92's and last a lot longer. The 12v71's typically go around 4500 hours between rebuilds. Fuel consumption depends on how you run them. If you run that boat at 1,000 rpm's you'll get 9-10 knots and burn 12gph total (maybe less). You will have to run at cruise for 30 minutes every 6 hours or less to clean them out. If you run it at cruise it should cruise around 19 knots and burn 85gph. 12v71's would be a good engine for that boat. The Hatteras are very stable at 9-10 knots........and a much better built boat then your current Bayliner.
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

One of the 12V71TI engines on my 54 Bert had 4500 hours on it ... broken ring, (no compression on that one cylinder) .. the rest of the cylinder sleeve inserts were beyond spec ... time for rebuild according to the engine surveyor.
    AND it still ran good and strong.

There were plenty of recommendations to fix that one cylinder and see how long it would run. I opted for an extensive in-hull overhaul. Should be finished soon.

The guys at http://www.**********.com/forums/index.php Hatteras owners forum could share some information with you about the boat you are considering. Many of the Hatt's have these engines. They have a good reputation but ... 70 gph at 20 knots or in your case with the 60', 80-85 gph at 20 knots is a fuel hog! And ... you can do the math and decide whether it would ever be worth a repower to the more fuel efficient engines. If you are running it 200+ hrs per year it might. Out lay would be $200k - $300k + ... makes the decision hard especially for a recreational user like me.

I was talking to Larry over at Yacht Supply Depot yesterday about some parts and that is the type of boat he owns. (60 Hatt).
  4. Gordon McLeer

Gordon McLeer New Member

Thank you for your reply.
    Gordon