Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Day heads

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by unsinker, Feb 20, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. unsinker

unsinker Member

Hello everybody, the one question I am always asking myself every time I board a, say, 48' to, even 75' or read/watch a listing of a yacht without day head, in that size range, is why, having the space to do it, the manufacturers, N. A., and all involved in building and design, do not include one, some like Mikelson include one, as an option but most have it, on their small yachts, even in Nordhan 52' Dirona, Jennifer and James Hamilton had to special order one, I believe a first in that size, because it was simply not offered before, that in an ocean crossing vessel, how many times, A DAY, we all have to use one?

Having to, in most yachts, go all the way down to the cabin level to use one, is it a very difficult task to include one at deck level? Does it have to be special design? Would the plumbing on the whole vessel be modified? The engine room modified in its entirety in order to accommodate the inclusion of a day head?

I am not a builder nor a N. A. but, if some very few brands include something as needed as that, why is so rare to see it?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, on the 80-footer we build, the main deck is an open plan where a day head should take away visibility. Besides, I think it will not give enough privacy in this social area, so we have it down below combined with a laundry forward.

D80 dayhead.png
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

My opinion, too.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I like day heads, but the trend is towards a see through salon up to about 80', whereas you can see from the salon door all of the way to the front windows. Hatteras did a great job on the 75' MY with their day head location. Taking up 3' of beam on the side of the salon where the staircase goes down to the guest staterooms and you hardly notice it, if done right. A day head isn't meant to sit on and go #2 on, but just a pee. That being said they are great for several reasons, if you're entertaining a bunch of people you don't want them all going down below in a carpeted area, poking their noses in your staterooms, etc. For people running the boat, a day head is a much shorter walk. The open salon is ok on the smaller boats, but above 65-70' aside from not having a day head, you lose a ton of galley cabinet space (that's usually along the ceiling) as well on a yacht that's getting into the size that owners are more apt to cook meals rather than head to a restaurant every night.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On a 115 design I have a day head like that, good for the crew but can also be used by guests with access from the semi open wheelhouse...

D115 Day head.png
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Hard to imagine how convenient a day head is until you have one. If a guest is embarrassed to use it they can always use a stateroom head. Ours is typical, has a toilet and small cabinet with a sink at deck level in forward port corner of salon. Only has the side deck between it and the hull side. Designed to pump overboard or to the holding tank. Not a problem to add at time of construction unless restricted by boat layout.